What's new

NIN: Downward Spiral 5.1 remix reviews (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Shoot. I stopped back at Best Buy, and not in the SACD section either. I was moping around the N part of the CD section when a customer service guy came up and asked if I needed help. I said, "Maybe. I know you have it but nobody seems to be able to find it, I'm looking for ...", and he finished, "The Nine Inch Nails SACD." So others have asked about it too. He couldn't find it either.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I was looking for this in my local store (only had a few minutes to kill) and came across the Deluxe Edition in the regular CD stacks. I looked quickly, but thoroughly (I think), and saw no designation of "SACD" or "DSD" anywhere on the package.

Is this the hybrid CD/SACD release, or is this just a regular CD release?

(Good god, man, I've been buying SACDs for over two years now with well over 100 in my collection, and I can still play the part of the confused hi-rez consumer.)

AricB

Second Unit
Jeremy I didn't notice what you described, but I mean to listen to it again, is it xtremely pronounced or more of a subtle thing??

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Went to Tower to pick it up during the sale this weekend, but it was full priced at $31!! That's an $11 premium over BB. F* that, and they refuse to price match. I guess they will be going out of business after all...

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
Jeremy,

I don't mean to sound snotty, but with The Downward Spiral, there are some songs on the album, such as "hurt", that are PURPOSELY distorted in different channels, and have sounded that way since the first release of the CD. What you're describing sounds like what i would expect to hear on a NIN album. If you have the original CD release, take a listen to "hurt" to hear what i'm talking about.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Rich, yes, the "Deluxe" Edition is the SACD.

Not to Tower bash, but is it just me or have their prices started creeping even higher? :thumbsdown:

Have to agree with DavidS, Hurt is recorded that way. The version on Further Down the Spiral is not like this however.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, John!

Does it surprise anyone that there's not even so much as a SACD/DSD logo anywhere on the packaging? I recall that the ABKCO Stones releases were done like this, but I'm not sure that the addition of a little tiny symbol would confuse the average consumer, or at least not as much as the lack of one confused me! :b

Chris_Eff

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the same think Jeremy when I heard hurt. They screwed the SACD up. I then listened to the second disc and the quiet version of hurt is on that one. If I remember right the quiet version is the one that seemed to get more play time on the radio and is not distorted.

AricB

Second Unit
interesting, I'll have to compare them both. never really noticed it, unless your reffering to the kind of swimmy effect in the back ground?

Tim Dogg

Agent
Trust me there is nothing wrong with sacds you describe.I remember when i first bought The downward spiral back when it came out I had it cranked in my truck and when I came to the track A Downward Spiral I thought I blew my $1000.00 MB Quart Q series speakers.Man I was bummed.Well after listening to that cd over and over after that you hear all the different bizzar sounds trent used on the album.
Just picked up the sacd tonight and was listening to it on the Klipshs and my girlfriend sitting next to me says"Oh my god,you blew your rear speakers"but this time i new better.
All and all I think the surround mix is ok but not quite what I expected from Trent.I was hoping for a bit better mix.Theres a lot of very faint voices that can be heard and other faint noises that i can still hear in the front speakers where i think they should have been filled into the rear more.Songs like I do not want this and The becoming.Of all of the different sounds and noises on The Downward Spiral there should be a bit more in the rear.
All and all I like it a lot all though completely not blown away by this cd like i am by the DTS version of All that could have been DVD.
I think he should have made The Fragile instead but this will keep me happy until the NIN comes out next year.
I will still never forget The Downward Tour though.Truley Amazing.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
OK, I really really want to buy this title. But I only have a dvd-a player. I dont have an SACD player. Ive looked online and all I could really find for purchase was the SACD version. and It seems like nobody on here has gotten the Dual-disc version. is it even released yet? Also, whats a reasonably priced SACD player? With the holidays comming up I have to budget myself when it comes to spending on myself. :D

AricB

Second Unit
I got my sony 5 disc dvd/sacd for like $169, i like it just fine. It's nothing super high end, but with the 5 disc i can do shuffle and continuous play from disc to disc in a constant loop which you can not do with and dvd-a that i know of, because of the menus.

I've also seen the pioneer 568 universal single disc at BB on clearance for about 100.

I bought a dual disc copy at my BB, they were both in the CD section. Try some of the newer BB's in a nice neighborhood, it seems like near me, the older ones that aren't in as expensive of towns have the worst selection.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Thanks Aric, I'll call my local BB and ask what they have, assuming I get a competent blue-shirt.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Finally managed to get the SACD last night, but because it was late I only listened once through. Not bad. The remaster sounds pretty decent though I suppose I expected a little more use of the surrounds. I like the fact that they did not make it gimmicky though. I'll get a better feel for it tonight when I can crank it up.

Very cool - they have the closer version from Se7en:SE

NOTE: On the SACD edition it does have the DSD & SACD logos on the back bottom left, right next to the FBI warning.

NP:Closer(Precursor) NIN

AricB

Second Unit
Hey John is the 2nd disc SACD stereo or just regular CD, there was some conflicting reports before release?

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Well, I called my local BB, and they said they had the dual disc version, but after I second guessed him, he read it to me, and sure enough, it was the SACD. Then he said he didnt have the Dual Disc one. So...I guess I wait.

AricB

Second Unit
damn fools. sorry to hear that. they are clearly marked, one says "deluxe edition" in a double thick case with plastic sleeve, like elton john, clash 25th london calling and others. That is the sacd. the other is a single thickness case with a plastic sleeve(i think, havent opened it yet) that clearly says DUal Disc. I found both verisions in with the cd's. keep trying. its out there.

MikeJM

Grip
I have a SACD hookup on my new DVD player. Is SCAD that much improved for listening over regular CDs?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Whether SACD and DVD-A are better really depends on the disc. Some are hardly better, while others are CLEARLY superior to the CD. IMO, this remaster is noticably clearer, but not night and day from the redbook. The set is worth it though.

The second disc is redbook CD only, according to the packaging. I didn't actually try that disc out at home because of that, but my guess is there is no SACD layer. The CD includes a number of tracks I already have from Further Down the Spiral, but there are some cool demos and versions I haven't heard. It would have been cool if they included a m/c mix of Closer (precursor) from Se7en:SE, because on the DVD there are full bitrate m/c DTS versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks