What's new

NIN: Downward Spiral 5.1 remix reviews (1 Viewer)

AricB

Second Unit
agreed. the difference will also depend on your setup, if running them through your tv speakers or a bad HTIB, I doubt you'll gain a lot except maybe the surround effect in the latter. If you have a decent 5.1 home theater or even nice stereo setup, you should notice a difference on some of the better produced discs. for other suggestions do a search, or check the sacd thread about where to best place to purchase sacds, made some recommends there.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have an unopened Dualdisc (DVD/CD) that I am going to return if anyone *really* has the itch for it. I picked it up because they did not have the SACD, and I don't really need both.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Shoot me an e-mail. I only paid $13.99+tx, and add shipping, which should only be a few dollars.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I stand happily corrected, the second disc is in fact stereo SACD!! Now it's even more worth it :D I was listening to the CD tracks today, and being very familiar with a number of the tracks, I can say without a doubt the SA tracks sound better.

AricB

Second Unit
Awesome, thanks for checking. I really wish they would have done dead souls and burn in 5.1, but at least its high res.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I finally got the SACD version yesterday. The two channel mixes are clearer but there isn't a night and day difference between the SACD and red book. However, the 5.1 mixes are oustanding. I am truly in awe. This will be my reference disc for a long time. I wish more rock/alternative SACDs would come out.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Im excited to hear the new 5.1 mix. Im tempted to buy an sacd player. Im still getting the dual disc one too though. I wish Trent will do the Fragile. You guys think they might do a 5.1 mix of Bleedthrough while they are in the studio and not tell anyone? Here's hoping.

AricB

Second Unit
Jean, I'm really hoping so too. I would think after revisiting TDS that he would see how much more work it is going back and re doing it instead of doing it right the first time, but being the perfectionist might mean we wouldnt see the 5.1 mix on a day and date realease of the new album for another year or so? hopefully we see a high res release in march 03 when the new album is supposed to be out.

I really like having both players, so I can buy anything good that comes out regardless of format. For me the shuffle and repeat all discs on my 5 disc sacd is worth the price alone.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member

I could be wrong, but I saw the SACD release in my local Best Buy yesterday in the SACD section. I was surprised because I have been away from the boards for a while and never heard of a SACD release of this title. Anyway, if I wasn't mistaken, there is a definative SACD logo at the back bottom of the packaging. It's in small print, and easy to miss, but I'm positive it's there.

I might pick this up. The only NIN album I own is Pretty Hate Machine but I haven't gotten an SACD since the last Diana Krall release.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Confusion resolved... I went to the other Newbury Comics and found the Deluxe Edition with a big sticker on the front trumpeting the hybrid, 5.1, etc., as well as DSD/SACD logos on the back.

The one I saw the other day was merely the same album in a digipack that looked very similar to the Deluxe Editions, but without the usual plastic case (and, presumably, the second bonus disc).

AricB

Second Unit
Yes, TDS always came in a digipack, that i know of, so you definitely want to locate the one with the clear plastic sleeve around it saying Deluxe Edition.

Kevin T

Screenwriter

how sad this is. to think of how much truly wonderful music you've been missing. you really should at least purchase the downward spiral and the fragile. personally, i think nobody should be without the entire nin catalog, but i know it's not for everybody.

kevin t

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Kevin, I like your quote in your location. "Are you diggin' this air man? This air RULES"- Dr. Quinn

Aric, that player does look good. Unfortunatly I dont really like Carosel type players. Im hoping to hold out and get a universal player. one that could also do upconverting would be great, but I only have component inputs and not DVI.

AricB

Second Unit
I listened to the DualDisc last night in Dolby 5.1, and it still sounded really good. i havent gone through each enough to see if the mixes are any different between the sacd or not? but the sound quality seems comparable. I still think the mix of march of the pigs sounds kind of strange(could be my set up), but from that point on, I really like the mix of the rest of the songs.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
I got the DualDisc at Best Buy. It was with the regular CDs. I like it a bunch, but if The Fragile got a release like this I might never need another rock album.

Reznor is a cutting edge guy... it seems to me that With Teeth (formerly Bleedthrough) should be released on SACD and DVD-A day and date with the CD. Or maybe in place of the CD.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I liked the March of the Pigs mix, though it is the only track that has the blatant push to the surrounds. The rest of the tracks are almost like you are listening to a 2 or 3 channel mix; they are well done.

When I went to BB the second time, I checked the SACD section and was disappointed that it wasn't there. Of course I know better, so I next checked the CD area and there it was. When I first asked them to see if they had it in the back, the girl asked me "What's an SACD?"

AricB

Second Unit
John, it wasnt the rear information that bothered me. I'm not sure if it seemed the vocals were too low? or like I said it could be my set up not quite right?

I'm not sure if this is what the other guy was talking about, but at the beginning of Hurt, the quite guitars and vocals. did anyone notice the right channel is very clear, but the left is kind of degraded sounding? I'm not sure if this was for effect or if this is what the person was referring to that may be an error in the mix?

I had to stand right in front of each speaker to pick it up, but the one side is noticeably clearer than the other?

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
Aric,

The distortion is there for effect. The left side of "hurt" has always sounded distorted, on purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks