What's new

Nightline Show on Grand Theft Auto (1 Viewer)

Tuesday's All Thing's Considered on NPR had a review of the game. The reviewer acknowledged the game's violence, but found the depth by which you could amuse yourself sublime. A few quotes from the Link Removed:
"I remember my first carjacking..."
"Those are the moments that gamers live for - or that matter anyone who appreciates art lives for - when you loose yourself in the painting or the piece of music."
On Thursday, there was a response from a listener who thought Robert Holt was sick for promoting a game all about violence, urging people to imagine the perspective of rape or carjacking victims.
I think that the media does shape us. I have played hundreds of games and perhaps games have desensitized me to violence. I remember my marketing instructor ask a class of students if we felt persuaded by the hundreds of ads we see on a daily basis. The consensus was no; the professor laughed and went on to make his point. We desire the things we see in ads and ads are the reason we by so much. For more, try watching Link Removed about violence and the media.
Ooohhh...I am soooo bad - I posted a deep link to NPR.

Gordon C Jr

Stunt Coordinator
No redeeming value?? What about learning how a taxi driver works and how to put out fires in time pays off. Firemen are important to safety. Or driving a cop car to rid the criminals.
Or learning how not to run down too many people on sidewalk or police come after you. :D And of course learning that time is money, even to the lady of the evening, and finding a dark corner as fast as possible cost you less money
Seriously, the game has no morally redeeming value. That's why it is only a GAME. And if the media wants to run a show on it, I'm sure the creators are happy, because the sales must be skyrocketing after the episode.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Sure, the media pushes us towards different things that we end up buying or wanting to buy, but the people who are more easily pushed are children. Put good parents between the children and the things they want to buy, and there shouldn't be any problems.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
From an old Edge article on GTA:
You know,` sighs programmer Ian Ross, `there's been all this nonsense already about how the aim of the game is just to kill police. That's pure rubbish. If you go around killing cops then you won't complete the game, as they will either arrest you or kill you, arriving in greater and great numbers. I really just wish that these so-called do-gooders would turn their energy towards some real-life problems for a change.
That's from probably the best 'early' article on GTA by the way - the full thing (including the hated garage render) is here:
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks