What's new

Night Moves - come on Warners... (1 Viewer)

I was wondering whether anyone else is eagerly anticipating the release of Arthur Penn's excellent "Night Moves" on DVD. Having just watched it again on tape, I'm more than ever convinced of two things; firstly, that Gene Hackman never gave a better performance - which is saying a lot - and secondly, that it's got the best script of the seventies. Packed with quotable lines, it's so carefully structured that there's not a single scene which isn't totally necessary, from the chess game with Jennifer Salt to the scene where Harry Moseby confronts his wife and her lover (see my sig quote for my favourite movie line of all time).

Now, since Mr Hackman, Alan Sharp and Arthur Penn are still with us, wouldn't it be a nice idea to get them together to record a commentary. This is one of the lesser known treasures of seventies cinema and it needs to be seen by a lot more people.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
"This is one of the lesser known treasures of seventies cinema and it needs to be seen by a lot more people."

You are absolutely right. Next to Chinatown, this is my favorite example of a modern day film noir. Even though it is set in the 1970s, and much of it was filmed in sun-drenched Florida, it still captures the noir spirit. And what a great, downbeat ending! They don't make 'em like this any more. I'd pick this up on DVD in a second.

Yeah, what's going on with this film? This is definitely among my most anticipated titles to get on DVD, but there isn't even an entry on Amazon's Web site to request it! Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be a very popular film, but I think it's among the best movies of that era. Anyone know if there are plans for this to be released on DVD?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I'm with you; I'd retire my grainy, full-screen LD in a minute. But it's Jennifer Warren, not Salt, who stars in the film.

Yeah, I asked about this a long time ago.

Night Moves and Performance are two Warners titles I'd love to have on DVD.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Love this film. I watched The Conversation for what must be the 15th time last night, and Hackman is just extraordinary as Harry Caul. And as Harry Moseby, he is equally brilliant.

Yes, a DVD edition is needed.

And the scene where Harry confronts his wife is superb!

Gordy

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Must chime in to add my support for this film on DVD. Warner has a lot of great 70's films that are locked up in their vaults, they need to start dusting them off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks