What's new

Night Gallery - Season 2 (1 Viewer)

michael_ks

Screenwriter
I've just now been corresponding with Mr. Scott Skelton and he informs me that the "Night Gallery on DVD" link on nightgallery.net has been restored. Here is some additional information about the S2 set that was recently posted on the link:

"In August 2004, Universal Studios released a three-DVD set of Rod Serling's Night Gallery that included the 1969 pilot film, the six first-season episodes, and, as a bonus, one second-season episode and two third-season episodes.

Universal has announced the DVD release of Season 2, with a street date of November 18, 2008. All 22 episodes, all 61 stories from Season 2 will be included, along with some interesting bonus items:

A 30-minute documentary on the history of the show, "Revisiting the Gallery: A Look Back," featuring interviews with NG directors Jeannot Szwarc, John Badham, and William Hale, artist Tom Wright, composer Gil Melle, art director Joseph Alves Jr., makeup artist Leonard Engelman, actors Pat Boone, Joseph Campanella, James Metropole, Laurie Prange, and Lindsay Wagner, and NG historians Jim Benson and Scott Skelton (the gentlemen who run this page).

A menu featuring close inspection of 33 of the second-season paintings, with commentary by Tom Wright.

Audio commentary on three episodes by NG fan Guillermo del Toro (director of Hellboy II: The Golden Army, Pan's Labyrinth, and The Devil's Backbone): "The Phantom Farmhouse"/"Silent Snow, Secret Snow," "The Messiah on Mott Street"/"The Painted Mirror," and "The Caterpillar"/"Little Girl Lost."

Podcast commentary on three episodes by Scott Skelton and Jim Benson (authors of Rod Serling's Night Gallery: An After-Hours Tour): "A Fear of Spiders"/"Junior"/"Marmalade Wine"/"The Academy," "Cool Air"/"Camera Obscura"/"Quoth the Raven," and "Lindemann's Catch"/"The Late Mr. Peddington"/"A Feast of Blood."

Plus some NBC commercials, promo material, and act-break bumpers.

Good things come to those who wait."

Indeed they do, Scott!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Wasn't there an issue with some edited (or time-sped) episodes on the first set? Let's hope that this doesn't happen on season 2. Such a thing could lead to fans not buying and effectively killing the show's chances of a season 3 release.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
In Scott Skelton's review of S1 on Amazon.com he mentions that the set "was struck from original, uncut prints--the same ones Columbia House used for its mail-order volumes". He also stated that "imbedded in a few of the episodes are some errors, mostly in the sound and music tracks, and it would have been preferable had Universal seen fit to correct these...The most critical error is the crackling that runs through the soundtrack of Serling's segment "The House" (found in Episode #3)".

The errors, minor as they are, were elaborated on in detail on the nightgallery.net site at one time but are no longer listed there. I believe S2 has a few similar long standing sound/music mixing issues that have been around forever. I suspect those may still be there (which I think, by now only the companion guide authors can detect). I would expect the S2 episodes to be un-cut like those in S1.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma

:eek: Man, I totally missed the first season release! I'll have to hunt it done and await the second season with great anticipation.

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
Was there a Season 3 for this show? I don't remember it. They did do something strange later linking it up with a Gary Collins series, The Sixth Sense or something like that.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Season 3 is comprised of 15 30-minute episodes (and two very short vignettes). Most fall below the quality seen in the first two seasons but I'd say that around a third or so are pretty darn good. The Serling intros and paintings still make it all worthwhile--plus you get Joanna Pettet, Sandra Dee, Joan Van Ark, Lesley Ann Warren and Susan Strasberg. That's all the arm twisting this tv fan needs.

Universal added the 25 episodes of "The Sixth Sense" into the syndication package of NG around 1973-74 and tacked on new Gallery-type introductions with Rod Serling. This is obviously the main reason for the misconception that Gary Collins, the psychic researcher, was a "Night Gallery regular".

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Actually I am hoping that Universal Studios Home Entertainment gets around to releasing the entire series of 26 colour hour long episodes of THE SIXTH SENSE which had some impressive production personnel, scriptwriters, directors and guest performers to its credit during its brief run.

Even John Newland the omnipresent host and director of ONE STEP BEYOND directed episodes of THE SIXTH SENSE ("Dear Joan, We're Going to Scare You to Death," "Through a Flame Darkly" and "And Scream by the Light of the Moon, the Moon").

JeffT.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Personally I found it ever so annoying when Gary Collins' face popped up in the opening credits when I watched NG in it's syndication period as I knew I was basically in for a snooze-fest. The Gary Rhodes character was rather bland and one-dimensional which didn't help matters.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
"Deliveries in the Rear" eh? Odd they choose that painting and not something like say "Messiah on Mott Street".

michael_ks

Screenwriter
I'd say the chances are extremely good that we'll see NG completed. Universal has pulled all the stops on S2 and this set is destined to receive many positive reviews on Amazon.

The set has cracked the top 1000 on Amazon's ranking, which is quite respectable for a set that's 3 months from official release.

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
News pops up today that the new Second Season set will not quite be complete. The good folks at TVShowsonDVD (thank you, Dave Lambert!) publicized a press release from Universal Home Video mentioning that one story and portions of another could not be found to master for this release:

Night Gallery DVD news: Missing Episode, Story for Night Gallery - Season 2 | TVShowsOnDVD.com

Despite that news, this set is still on my shopping list. Especially because Universal is being honest and forthright about the omission, unlike other releases from elsewhere we've seen this year.

I've got to admit, though I'm a Rod Serling wonk, I've not seen many of these episodes - so I couldn't say how serious these omissions are, or whether copies of the material are floating out among collectors. At the time I was involved with an archive of Rod's work, Night Gallery was, shall we say, poorly represented.

All best - Dave

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
I don't get this. I saw both of these short sketches a few weeks ago RTN's Night Gallery. While they might not be able to get the sketches from a prime source, they could have at least had the version they use in the syndicated cuts.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Well thank goodness it's not "Green Fingers" or "The Academy"--I was really worried there as I clicked on the link.

I can well live without the two silly Jack Laird vignettes even if the completist in me wants it all intact. Scott Skelton mentioned in a comments section on his Amazon review that "Witches Feast" would not be included but the omission of "Satisfaction Guarenteed" surprises me as this is the segment that replaced the former in the syndication run. Oh well, no over-the-top Victor Buono for this set.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's lame that this happened but I'll still give a big thumbs up for Universal telling people about this months before the release rather than waiting until the day it came out or not at all.

Maybe they'll be able to find the missing stuff from a fan or a syndicated print (as Corey said) and include it on the S3 set at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks