What's new

Night Gallery - Season 2 (1 Viewer)

serlingng

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott Skelton

I'm hoping for a complete series set remastered for hi-def someday. And, of course, world peace.

serlingng

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott Skelton

michael_ks

Screenwriter
I really enjoyed listening to the interview with Tom Wright and am now doubly excited about the painting gallery/commentary feature on the upcoming S2 set. This is turning out to be the most anticipated set of the year for me!

Mr. Wright has a very good memory where his NG paintings are concerned and I gained a greater appreciation for his technique and imagination. How he must wish that he had kept them all! By my estimates they would collectively be worth somewhere between a quarter and half a million dollars today.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Thanks for posting that link, Scott. That's one of the very few positive reviews I've read on the merits of NG, even if it apologizes a bit too much for not living up to "Twilight Zone" standards.

Nice to know that the image quality lives up to hype--not that I was overly worried.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
I really hope people buy this immediately so we don't have to wait another 5 years before season 3. It's one of the best TV shows ever.

Jon Baker

Second Unit
I noted that the back of the box states there are "portions" of the episode "Satisfaction Guaranteed" missing, but the review makes it sound like it is included in full. Can anyone confirm this?

Very happy that this set has been released and am looking forward to Season 3 which should include my favorite episode, "The Girl with the Hungry Eyes"

serlingng

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott Skelton

"Satisfaction Guaranteed" is complete, but Universal couldn't confirm it until after the DVD case had been printed.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I know what you mean. All of the reviews I have seen have been favorable, but they are some of the lamest "favorable" reviews I have ever come across. It seems like they were written by people who might have glanced at one disc before writing their review.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman

Someone ought to get Mr. Klein a proofreader, or teach him how to write a coherent sentence. If this is the quality of "reviews" on that site, I don't ever need to pay another visit. Painful.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Usually within the first paragraph I can tell if a reviewer is in tune to the unique stylistic flourishes and aura of "Night Gallery", (some insignificant and silly vignettes be damned) or is too hung up on its low points that he can be expected to completely overlook artisitcally crafted entries like "Camera Obscura", "The Caterpillar" and "The Messiah on Mott Street".

When you have to struggle to recommend the series zeroing in on "With Apologies to Mr. Hyde" and work up the rung from there, it's a lot like trying to recommend TZ based on discussion of lame entries like "The Grave", "Ring-a-Ding Girl" and "Black Leather Jackets".

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I bought NIGHT GALLERY SEASON TWO yesterday at the local Best Buy, where there was just one copy on the shelf.

I've always wanted to add Season One to my collection as well, but have never been able to justify the high cost for value received. The first season was so short that it seems too pricey for what I see it priced at.

I've watched one hour-long episode, and so far so good. Looks and sounds better than I've seen it in years. It's also nice to not have things chopped up to fit a half-hour syndication slot.

I guess the worst part of the set is the overlapping of discs in the packaging. Two and three, and four and five are each overlapping each other.

Harry

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I know. The DVD talk reviewer really thought "Junior" and "With Apologies to Mr. Hyde" (both on disc one) were worth writing about and couldn't be bothered to discuss "Silent Snow, Secret Snow" and "Green Fingers". I have never seen any reviewer obsess about all of the bad episodes of "Twilight Zone". Every anthology series has bad segments, at least Night Gallery's tend to be very short.

serlingng

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott Skelton

That's the impression I got, too. I've read a few "recommended" reviews that are painfully backhanded in their praise, and seem far more interested in writing in detail about the series' failures than about its successes. How is that a recommendation?

The critic in question barely mentions "The Caterpillar" (and mentions nothing at all about any number of really high-quality story segments) while spending an inordinate amount of review space taking a cudgel to some of the blink-or-you'll-miss-'em vignettes. It's difficult for me to understand the mentality of that reviewer.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I also wonder how many of these reviewers bother to watch every episode of a complete season set? It's like reviewing an album after only listening to the first two tracks.

serlingng

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott Skelton

I'm sure some of these bargain-basement Eberts probably can't be bothered, but it's distinctly unethical. I recall coming across an online essay a few months ago by some retard named Bill Gibron, who proceeded to write a scathing opinion about the quality of the show and how it utterly ruined Rod Serling's reputation, but his essay was dotted with so many errors of fact and history that I was certain his knowledge of the series came mainly from a couple of error-ridden Serling biographies. He also simply made up some facts when he found holes in his narrative stream. Pathetic.

When discussing the quality of the segments, his views were limited to what had been released on the Season One set. He mentioned a couple of second-season segments that he thought were worthwhile--"The Boy Who Predicted Earthquakes" and "The Diary"--but nothing else. When "The Caterpillar," the most famous story from Season Two, wasn't mentioned (nor any number of other strong segments), I knew he had not seen the whole series, and was basing his views on the pilot and the six first-season episodes that were available on DVD (confirmed when I searched for his name and found he'd reviewed the set for some other online review zine back in 2004).

It was totally irresponsible, the kind of crap you couldn't easily get away with had this bowdlerism shown up in print somewhere instead of on the Internet. The guy got an earful from me and from a number of other NG fans who came to the same conclusion.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

Roger Ebert merely has to review a 2 hour movie. He doesn't even have to worry about bonus features. Think Ebert would last long having to watch 22 hours of a series and give each episode the same attention?

It is obvious watching Season 2 that there is a battle for feeling of the show between Serling wanting to do high level work and Laird's lame "You'll Die Laughing" jokes that undercut the tension.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks