What's new

NIGHT/CURSE OF THE DEMON…Coming Soon From Indicator (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Used to own a 1.33 open matte 16mm print of CURSE OF THE DEMON. Some shots here and there looked OK but the bulk of the print had way way too much headroom.

Looking forward to the 1.85 Blu-ray. At least here's hoping it is.
Ages and ages ago I saw in a theater (could have been TV) NOTD that wasn't matted properly. I could clearly see a guy riding a stationary bike below the Demon. The bike was powering the Demon's motion. I wonder if that was in your open matte?

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
God, wouldn't that be cool to see. The charm of how they did things is part of the fun. I knew all along that that wasn't a real demon.

I was watching another film on BluRay a Robert Ryan film the title escapes me. a female actress was coming through the fog in a motor boat alone you could see two guys swinging lanterns to look like the lights from the boat through the fog so cool !

Last edited:

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I had this as a kid; I kept it in a drawer at night, so it wouldn't get me...

famous-monsters-of-filmland-38-cover.jpg

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I didn't as a kid. This movie gave me nightmares for weeks afterward.

Saw it for the first time a few years ago and loved it. I was in my late 30's. I had a friend come over who HATES old movies. Black and white, thinks they're dumb. We were wrapping up some video games for the night and I chucked this on at about 1am to show him the intro with the demon. We ended up watching the whole thing and he couldn't get over how it was "better than an X-Files!"

This one has power, I pre-ordered it from Diabolik to make sure I get one since amazon.ca is the poops.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
How about girlfriends? :D

Ha, few & far between these days. Back in the early sixties I used to collect the magazine Famous Monsters Of Filmland, I was fascinated by those horror films that we never got on TV in the UK back then (& I loved those beautiful painted covers of the early issues). I had quite a collection, even issue #1, but being the sixties & me in my teens, other interests took over, & I forgot about them & left them at home when I moved out, & when my parents moved house they...threw them away! About twenty years ago I started to notice some of the early issues turning up in various cinema collector shops & even s/h book shops, so I started to buy them back & frame some of them (& that includes the magazine Spacemen). Anyway, back to the filum, I've only seen this on TV late at night (the same with those old Universal b/w horrors), & so these days it never seems right to watch any of these films before 10pm, I've watched all the Universal classics late night & shall do the same with this. As long as it's a clean sharp picture with a good grey scale I'll be happy, 1:66, fine with me. Not Grover Crisp's latest wonder restoration, well okay, he may get around to it, he might not. I'm not going to live forever so I'll enjoy this, I have a few Indicator releases, & they always put 100% into them.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I recorded Curse of the Demon off TCM and watched it this afternoon. My guide said it was an HD showing, but there were lots of dust specks present in the darker scenes and in the fades-to-black. Surely any Blu-ray release will clean this up. The image quality itself was quite sharp and appealing.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Final specs from Indicator. Note the AR of the UK version - from the Bfi's 2k master - is 1.75:1. I understand the constraints of the existing Sony master precluded presentation of the US version at 1.85:1 - such is the demand, the run of this limited edition has now been extended to 10,000:

jvti4dfl.jpg
Disc 1
I am confused about these movie versions. It shows:
Night of - full length pre-release versions --- 96 minutes
Curse of -US reissue version --- 96 minutes

Disc 2
Night of - Original UK Theatrical version -- 82 minutes
Curse of -Original US Theatrical version -- 82 minutes

I thought the UK version was always the longer version. This shows there was a US version that was 96 minutes, same as the UK. Then it shows there was a truncated UK version at 82', same as the edited down US version.

Are the two 96 minutes versions the same? Are the two 82 minute versions the same?

Ross Gowland

Second Unit
Real Name
Ross Gowland
Disc 1
I am confused about these movie versions. It shows:
Night of - full length pre-release versions --- 96 minutes
Curse of -US reissue version --- 96 minutes

Disc 2
Night of - Original UK Theatrical version -- 82 minutes
Curse of -Original US Theatrical version -- 82 minutes

I thought the UK version was always the longer version.

The version of Curse on disc one is the American re-release version from a decade or so ago. It’s the long version only with the American opening titles.

The original 1950s American theatrical version is a few minutes shorter than the UK theatrical version, so the disc two runtimes are erroneous.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks