What's new

NHL 2011-12 Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
phil* said:
Malcolm vs PK Subban.
That should be interesting.
Yes, but it will be a few years before we get to see it in the NHL. Goalies take longer to develop than skaters, so Malcolm will most likely be playing in the OHL for the next two seasons, then a season or two in the AHL before he would be brought up to the NHL -- if he continues to develop well. I only saw him play once last season, as Belleville plays in the other conference and only come to Plymouth once a season. The Whalers lit him up pretty bad in the first period. However, it is tough to get an impression on a goalie from only one appearance like that.
Usually only a very few players go right from the Canadian juniors to the NHL in their draft year, and it almost never happens with goaltenders. From this year's draft, only Yakupov (#1 overall to Edmonton) and Ryan Murray (#2 overall to Columbus) are considered "NHL ready". One or two other players may surprise and impress enough in NHL camps to stick with the club, but almost all will be returned to their junior teams.
Even Galchenyuk (#3 overall to Montreal) will most likely be sent back, even though he may have been the #1 prospect at the start of last season. An ACL injury cost him most of last season, so the Habs will most likely want him to get in another year at the junior level.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,
The Red Wings really seem to want both Parise and Suter. It looks like one may go to the Penguins, but there is nothing definitive yet. I'd be happy with either one (Suter more than Parise, if push came to shove). Some of the contracts I've been reading and hearing about the past few days are staggering. One was for $16 million (a four-year deal), and the other was for $90 million (a twelve-year deal). Heck, I'd put my skates on for either one of these contracts. ;)
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/18163/hockey-world-waits-on-parise-suter
While listening to Bakita and Bentley this morning, I heard that Calgary has the second largest payroll currently in the NHL. Of course, I wanted to know who was first, and a few minutes later the sports announcer said ... "Boston." I hadn't realized that, to be honest.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scott,
Supposedly teams are willing to back up a Brinks truck for Suter. I'm hearing average salaries of $10M+ per year being offered. While he's a good defenseman, I think paying that much is insane. While Wings fans desperately want both Suter and Parise, I do not think they will land Parise. He will either return to Jersey or go to Pittsburgh, IMO. They may be able to throw enough money at Suter, but I do not have a good feel for that one.
The Habs extended Carey Price's contract -- 6 years for $39M. Not a bad price to lock up a young goaltender. They also added some bottom six toughness and penalty killing in Prost (Rangers) and Armstrong (Leafs). Next up will be an extension for Subban. Montreal is not entering the big money free agent sweepstakes, which makes sense. The team is in rebuilding mode, and will not be any more than a bubble playoff contender this year. No sense throwing a boat load of money at a free agent yet. I like what Marc Bergevin has done so far as the new GM.
Probably the only remaining drama for the Canadiens will be what they do with Gomez -- buy him out, send him to the minors, or have him back as a fourth liner / gameday scratch. That trade still pisses me off -- trading Ryan McDonagh for this overpriced piece of crap. It killed me watching McDonagh play so well for the Rangers in the playoffs. What a waste of a fine prospect by Gauthier.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,
Do you think that paying players higher salaries (but not necessarily 'over the market', whatever that means for the NHL) is good for the sport? I have this gut feeling that it's a good thing, given that the other sports seem to do it frequently and they often flourish as a result. I've thought for years that the NHL lags behind in this regard relative to the other major sports (e.g., MLB, NBA, and NFL).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I think I saw that the Flyers offered both 12 years at over 90mil each.
Wonder what they will want if money isn't the deciding factor.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
All I know is, all this waiting for the Suter decision is driving me nuts. I don't blame either Suter or Parise for taking their time, but it's hard on us hockey fans.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott,
Do you think that paying players higher salaries (but not necessarily 'over the market', whatever that means for the NHL) is good for the sport? I have this gut feeling that it's a good thing, given that the other sports seem to do it frequently and they often flourish as a result. I've thought for years that the NHL lags behind in this regard relative to the other major sports (e.g., MLB, NBA, and NFL).
I am not sure. The NHL is different than the other sports, as they rely more on revenue from ticket sales than TV money, so finances are a lot tighter. As long as the league maintains a hard salary cap tied to revenue, though, I am not too worried. Without a cap, the league would return to a few teams dominating as they bought their way to a title. I hated that last non-cap era, which was too much like MLB.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I knew that Minnesota was making a play for Parise, and there was some interest from him as he is from that area. However, I am surprised Parise ended up there instead of with a more established franchise, and equally surprised that Suter followed him. The Wild certainly threw a ton of money at them -- $98M each over 13 years. Will the team be able to afford any decent complementary players? Only time will tell if this was makes Minnesota a contender or ruins them for the next decade. It is certainly a huge gamble.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,
Yes, it is a huge gamble. It kind of sheds a little bit of light on the question I was asking about salaries too. But it's probably too soon to know how it will affect the Wild in the long run. As you say, it will be interesting to see if the Wild will be able to afford any decent complementary players.
I heard repeatedly that the Red Wings wanted Suter so he wouldn't be able to be the thorn in their side that he has been the past few seasons. Any idea how many times Detroit plays Minnesota per year given the realignment?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The realignment has not happened -- at least, not yet. The players union turned down the proposal as part of a negotiating tactic for the new CBA. Once there is a new agreement, it will probably get approved.
I think the Wings would play Minnesota 3-4 times per season under the new alignment, but I'm not sure. The bigger fan concern would be meeting the Wild in the playoffs, I would think -- but I am not a Wings fan. If I was, I would be whining right now about how Detroit didn't get both Parise and Suter. :laugh: Some of the Wings fans around here still think it is 2001, and Detroit can buy any and every player they want.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Hockey season may be a little ways off, but the Plymouth Whalers held an alumni game today. Participants included current NHL players Tyler Seguin, James Neal, Jared Boll and Matt Hackett. I posted a few photos in a thread in the photography forum. It can be found here if anyone is interested.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Hey, Bruins fans, I watched your new goaltending prospect play on Saturday night. The Belleville Bulls were in town for the Plymouth Whalers OHL home opener. Boston's 2nd round pick in this summer's draft, Malcolm Subban, plays goal for Belleville. P.K.s little brother was probably the difference in the Bulls' 3-2 shootout win. He let in two first period goals -- one on a redirected puck -- but shut down the Whalers high powered offense the rest of the way, including stopping all three shootout attempts. He also made a spectacular glove save right at the end of regulation to force overtime. We figured if the two team had swapped goalies, Plymouth would have won easily.
It looks like it's going to be awhile before we have any NHL hockey, so I thought any hockey news would be appreciated. It sure is odd seeing all the NHL draft picks here for the start of the OHL season, as they are usually in NHL training camps right now. Plymouth has 11 players who have been drafted by NHL teams (including four first round picks), so our team would have looks a lot different on Saturday night without the lockout.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,
Hey, thanks for that information on Subban. Are any of the OHL games televised that you know of?
BTW, I really can't stand lockouts of any kind. I understand why they often need to happen, but for the fans, ugh. :(

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott,
Hey, thanks for that information on Subban. Are any of the OHL games televised that you know of?
BTW, I really can't stand lockouts of any kind. I understand why they often need to happen, but for the fans, ugh. :(
Scott,
Comcast shows some of the Whalers games on tape delay here in Plymouth, but I doubt they do that outside our area. Schoolcraft College produces and shoots the games. Last season, the NHL Network showed an OHL Game of the Week on tape delay -- I think it was on Saturday mornings. If the lockout goes into the regular season, I would not be surprised to see that network show more OHL, WHL and QMJHL junior games, as well as more American Hockey League games. The NHL Network also carries the World Junior Championship, which is held over the Christmas holiday period, and features many OHL players.
In Ontario, where the OHL is very popular (as you could guess), the cable providers offer a package to get most, if not all, the OHL games. The restaurant attached to the Whalers home arena shows Plymouth's away games live, and I think they get the feed from this package somehow.
The lockout may also allow me to see the Habs #1 pick (3rd overall) from this summer, Alex Galchenyuk, who was returned to the Sarnia Sting of the OHL. He was injured almost all of last season, so I never got to see him play. It was probably 50/50 whether he would have stuck with the Habs without the lockout. Sarnia's first visit to Plymouth is not until November 3rd, though, so who knows what will be going on with the lockout at that time.
You are right, though, that this lockout mostly sucks. It will really be disappointing if this goes on long enough to cancel the Winter Classic. Not only is the Wings - Leafs game scheduled for The Big House in Ann Arbor, but the Whalers are also scheduled to play in Comerica Park as part of an OHL outdoor doubleheader (Plymouth vs. London, and Saginaw vs. Windsor). Tickets to both outdoor OHL games are included in our season ticket package, and I was really looking forward to experiencing an outdoor hockey game. My wife, on the other hand, is not too thrilled about the prospect of sitting outside for 5-6 hours in late December for the event. :laugh:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,
Thanks a bunch for all of that information. You might remember that I mentioned many months ago that I used to follow the AHL when I was much younger. I used to pay close attention to (and I even went so far as to cut out of the newspaper and keep in a scrapbook) those standings as well as the standings of all of the major sports. I guess that was kind of geeky of me. ;) Those were some wonderful times to be a kid. I used to follow the AHL no less than I did the ABA many years ago. This was back when Pittsburgh used to have an ABA team, too!
I'm going to keep an eye on the NHL network during the lockout. I for one would love it if they showed several of those games. I'm not rooting for a long lockout mind you, but if it's going to continue for some time, I need to get my hockey fix somehow. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
You guys might not remember it but the old NAHL was really fun to watch.
I followed the Firebirds and saw a bunch of games they played at the old Phila Civic Center.
Met Fred Shero there and got his autograph.
c2c4ec27cac7808f0f85ed1ee8f1b781.jpg

The logo ofthe Broome Dusters was drawn by Johnny Hart who drew the strip B.C.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scott,
Luckily I have the Whalers to give me a hockey fix during this lockout. However, I will miss following my Habs, even though they were probably going to suck again this season.
Tony,
I do not remember the NAHL. I did attend a few Detroit Vipers games at The Palace in Auburn Hills (where the Pistons play) when that team competed in the old International Hockey League. The closest AHL teams are in Grand Rapids and Flint, but I have never been to an AHL game.
We have settled in as OHL fans. The arena is five minutes from home, our center ice season tickets cost us an average of $12 each for 34 home games, VIP parking is included, and we can turn in any unused tickets for additional tickets to other games -- which allows us to invite friends or family to go with us at no additional cost if we have some unused tickets. It's a pretty good deal, and the level of play is very high, as the top players go right from the OHL to the NHL. Other players advance to the AHL for additional development. In the past few years, some of the NHL stars we've seen include Steven Stamkos, Patrick Kane, John Tavares, Taylor Hall, and the Whalers own James Neal and Tyler Seguin -- along with many other NHLers.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Tony,
I do recall the Cape Cod Cubs, but that's because I lived on Cape Cod (and in South Yarmouth) for many years. It's where I went to High School (D-Y Regional). The Cape Cod Cubs used to play only a few miles from my home. I don't remember too many of the other teams from the NAHL, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks