What's new

NFS: Underground... So Which Version Is Best? (1 Viewer)

Peter_A

Second Unit
So with NFS: Underground coming out for every platform including the PC, which version is best? Normally I wouldn't be too concerned but after the NFS: Hot Pursuit problems where the only good version was the PS2 one and the others were butchered, I want to be sure to get the best version.

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
It's a toss-up between the PS2 and PC versions since both are online and both can be played against eachother (PS2 vs. PC, just just PS2 vs. PS2/PC vs. PC).

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator
The 1up.com review said that the Xbox version has the smoothest framerate, followed by the GameCube version and then the PS2.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I'm very disappointed with the way this series has changed. I refer to the PC version as console racers are not quite my thing. It doesn't afford me a driver's experience like the PC.

The last good release was Porche Unleashed. Since then, this series has turned into just another third person arcade console racer. Gone is the in cockpit view, which when racing on a PC with wheel and pedals, offers an experience much like the cockpit setup in the arcade. Also, the sense of speed is gone. At least that's the way it was with the last release.

I'm still waiting on a review for the PC version. I'm due for another racer but there isn't one I found worth getting (that was recently released).

Damien

Supporting Actor
I'm very disappointed with the way this series has changed. I refer to the PC version as console racers are not quite my thing. It doesn't afford me a driver's experience like the PC.
EA decided to have seperate developers work on the PC version of Hot Pursuit 2, which turned out much worse then the PS2 version. I personally don't see what NFSU is trying to be and probably will not be picking it up at it's current price point.

StevenK

Second Unit
Does anybody miss the first two NFS as much as I do?

I still reminisce about RX-7 on the road courses in the first one.

Peter_A

Second Unit
I don't really care to much about graphics, if that was the only criteria I would pick up the PC version. I want gameplay and on Hot Pursuit, the PS2 was the best out of all the versions. I'm getting a free copy from EA since they recorded my car for the game and I have a choice of the game for whichever platform I want.

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
If anyone else hates the way NFS series went (yeah, Porsches were the last good ones) ... The ultimate solution: Live For Speed.

http://lfs.racesimcentral.com/

A "realistic" simulation that is soooo entertaining for pure racing action! Force feedback is incredible (every other game just runs away when it comes to this, IMHO), the game is cheap, sold online, online community great...

Big thumbs up!

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I have to be honest; I still have a soft spot for the very 1st Need For Speed that ever came out, back on the old 3DO. :)

The point to point tracks were fantastic, the in cockpit views were dead on, I REALLY loved the little touch they did with the shifter that would pop onscreen in the little pip like window when you shifted, and...even that irritating "video guy" started to grow on me.

Nice balance of sim and arcade with THE best crashed I had seen to that date. Can't tell you how many times I would just watch my replays.

The PSX version took out the guy but tossed in better framerates, time of day but kept the same great tracks.

There has yet to be a killer ending to a track to top the Pacific Coast track in the original NFS. Remember turning that last bend and then, WHOA!!! now that was cool!!!

Need For Speed has gone downhill since then, imho. Too bad: started off great!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks