What's new

NFL 2018-2019 Thread (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
You are correct. I thought you were asking about the 3rd down play? Sorry if my reply was confusing. I thought the spot after second down was bad, because the ball was clearly right on the goal line, but was spotted at what looked like the 1 1/2 yard line.

The officials never seem to change the spot of a ball after a review unless that change results in a first down or TD. I never understood why - - maybe it's part of the review rules.
Yeah, I didn't understand that spot either, but I guess anywhere inside the 1 yard line they didn't think they needed to quibble with another challenge.

They always say that the ball should be spotted "where the ball is located when the player is down," but that's hardly ever where they spot it. I'm not sure why. They usually always bring it backward 1/2 to 1 yard.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Latest reports have the Bengals hiring current Rams QB coach Zac Taylor, when the Rams season is over. As a guy who lives in Bengals country, I’m OK with this move- I think it’s better to give an unknown a chance than to recycle a guy who has failed elsewhere. I still think Mike Brown is the worst owner in the league, and I thought he was going to slide 3-36-1 Hue Jackson into the pilot’s seat as a way to keep his costs down.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I am going by the philosophy that a tiger can’t change his stripes. And Reid is a chip off the ol’ Marty Schotenheimer. Competive in the regular season, sucks on the post. I’m picking Indy of KC. I think the Rams will beat the Cowboys.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yeah, Johnny- Reid leaves a lot to be desired as a sideline coach. He uses timeouts like money-
they burn holes in his pocket. He’s never been good with clock management. He also seems to not know how to make adjustments (last year’s loss to the Titans is a great example of this- when their tight end left the game due to a concussion, their offense went into the toilet).

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
You don’t need great time management when your team outplays the other by a clear margin. Better luck next year, Indy.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The Cowboys/Rams game- that game was more in doubt than it should have been. I wasn’t impressed with either QB- both of them missed on throws. The Rams defense isn’t as good as the names of the players on the defense. They will have a tough time with the winner of the Eagles/Saints.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Yes, you are correct sir!!

How pathetic is this? Zone defense worked so well the first three drives, why not stick with it?

Does Lynn not understand that this is the playoffs? You cant watch film and fix it next week. After the second NE touchdown he should have thrown the defensive game plan out the window.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Tony Romo said it before the game started- zone defense isn’t the way to play The Brady Bunch. The Patriots are an entity that we won’t see again in our lifetime.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
That should be a really good game at Arrowhead next Sunday night. As much as the Patriots are known for winning in the playoffs, their last road playoff win was 13 years ago.

Should be a good game. Basically, one of the things that surprised me was how the Patriots ran the football with such authority. The Patriots O-line was just shoving the Chargers all over the place. If they can run the ball like that against Kansas City, and I don't see much reason why they can't, that will greatly reduce the amount of time Mahomes spends with the ball in his hands. Plus Belichick has seen Mahomes in person once this season. That is likely a big problem for Reid and the Chiefs. If anybody is going to come up with something that frustrates that Chiefs offense it is Belichick.

I honestly thought the Patriots would not survive the playoffs this season but they just played their best football game of the season today.

None of this bodes well for the Chiefs but Mahomes and Hill can turn pretty much any play into a quick score.

No defender on the Patriots can keep up with Hill so that's a positive for the Chiefs. Also Gronk no longer looks like he is a weapon anymore in the Patriots offense.

Patriots at Chiefs is certainly the most interesting match-up we could have got in the AFC Championship game so it should be fun to watch.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Heartbreaking way for the Eagles to lose last night. The Saints can breathe now- after last year’s giveaway in the playoffs, they needed to get past what happened in Minnesota with a win.
I thought at the time the fake punt for the first down was going to be a turning point.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, I thought this was supposed to be a better, different Chargers team this year. But it ended up just more of the same (as Johnny predicted). They didn't come up with anything different on defense against Brady, just more of the same old zone and some of the 7 DB look they used last week, which NE anticipated.
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — A helpful Patriots fan draped a banner over the field railing at Gillette Stadium before Sunday’s game. It read:

“Ready The Gun Powdah.”
I hope they did not run out. They had to shoot the muskets five times already by half-time.

Thought we might be headed for a possible SB rematch with the Patriots and Eagles, but Philly shot their wad in the first half of the first quarter and were never heard from again.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Heartbreaking way for the Eagles to lose last night. The Saints can breathe now- after last year’s giveaway in the playoffs, they needed to get past what happened in Minnesota with a win.
I thought at the time the fake punt for the first down was going to be a turning point.

That fake punt really was the turning point of the game. I was surprised when the Saints did not line up to go for it on fourth down before the punt, as they really needed something to change the momentum. Running the fake accomplished the same thing. The Eagles pretty much did nothing for the rest of the game, while the Saints dominated the rest of the way.

Both conference title games look like good matchups. On paper, you would think the Chiefs would be a big favorite at home, but I will never count out Bellichick and Brady in the playoffs. It's amazing that this is the first time the AFC/AFL Championship game has ever been played in KC during the Super Bowl era. The Saints will be very tough to beat at home, too.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Interesting. However, does Josh Rosen have anywhere near the talent of Mohomes? This is an honest question, as I cannot remember ever seeing Rosen play a game in college, and I didn't watch any Cardinals games this season. Mohomes just oozes talent, so I'm not sure how much credit Kingsbury should get for him.

There was more than just Mahomes. He also had Baker Mayfield at Texas Tech (before Mayfield went to Oklahoma) and he was the OC at A&M when Johnny Manziel won the Heisman. The idea is that even if Rosen is not as talented as Mahomes, Kingsbury is the best guy to maximize his talents. Many teams wanted somebody who could do for their QB the same "magic" that McVay did for Goff. Plus, Kingsbury will barely touch the "D", which will be controlled by Vance Joseph.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks