1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2018-2019 Thread

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Carabimero, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

A mobile QB can be nightmare to defend in the NFL, but the player must be a dual threat with an NFL arm. Mohomes in KC and Trubisky in Chicago are young QB's who give defense's fits because they can beat you with both their arm and their legs. Guys like Lamar Jackson and Tim Tebow, though, who do not scare any defense with their arms don't work in the NFL, though, for the reasons you listed. It will be interesting to see if Mohomes and Trubisky can stay healthy, though. Watson in Houston is already getting beat up, as has Cam Newton in Carolina.

The Chargers had already faced the Jackson-led Baltimore offense a few weeks earlier, so they were able to devise a scheme that completely shut down the Ravens until LA inexplicably went into a prevent defense.

Reggie W likes this.
  2. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    OK, well I'll try to balance out the negativity a bit.

First, that game was a great team win for the Chargers. They really brought it as a team. Melvin Ingram was quite honestly...awesome.

The Chargers needed to make adjustments from the last game against the Ravens and they did. Honestly, this game belonged to the Chargers defense as they took apart the Ravens for the majority of the game.

The couple scores late in the game by the Ravens were really no big deal and what happens in games like that when a team has a big lead is they tend to let the other team move the ball a bit just to eat clock and basically those two late scores by the Ravens were sort of half-assed and it was a near impossibility that they could score 3 times to win as they needed to.

Plus the way the Chargers defense finished them off at the end was also awesome.

The Chargers made adjustments on offense too, which I was happy to see although I felt their offensive game plan was way too conservative. It worked but they seemed not to want to let Rivers throw more than 10 yards downfield. So, it looked pretty boring and led to a lot of field goals but it did in the end do what they intended.

All they were trying to do was take a lead and accumulate points so that Jackson would need to throw to come from behind.

As Scott points out above the way to play the Ravens if Jackson is playing QB is to try to grab an early lead and put pressure on Jackson to have to throw the ball instead of running all over.

I don't think Jackson is as bad as Tebow was but he is not really a confident throwing QB at this stage.

3. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    The scheme they came up with was to play 7 DBs and 4 linemen on every defensive snap except one. That was different but wow did it work.

4. Scott Merryfield

Sorry, but I don't agree with this -- those two quick TD's were a very big deal. They turned a blowout game into one where Baltimore had the ball with an opportunity to win in the last minute. If the Chargers had remained aggressive defensively throughout the 4th quarter, the Ravens never would have had a chance at the end of the game.

sleroi likes this.
  5. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    They tightened up the score and that happened due to fluke plays where the Ravens got lucky. However, the Ravens needed to score three times...this was pretty unlikely.

The Chargers were in the same base defense the entire game. 4 linemen and 7 DBs. What happened was Jackson got lucky when he scrambled around for what seemed like 5 minutes then threw back across his body toward the middle of the field. Had James stayed closer to his man that likely was a pick.

Whenever a QB can run around for that long...which is not often...receivers are going to come open. ..

The Chargers did relax their pass rush as guys were mainly trying to keep any running lanes closed off and stop any short throws. When they turned the pass rush back on...well...they ended the game.

I say those scores were no big deal because they did not make them through outstanding offensive play. They made them because at first the Chargers defense had relaxed with the lead and then through some lucky plays. When the Chargers defense needed to step up and close out the game they did.

So, while the score had tightened up the Ravens were not playing better offensively. So, in the end this game was not as close as that score indicates. I think the Chargers defense handled the entire game well and oddly for the Chargers their special teams also played well.

So, they pretty much won all phases even though it did not look beautiful on offense.

6. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I have two comments:
    1) While is was rooting for the Eagles (don’t know why, I just was), I hate seeing a game decided on a coach’s timeout. His first kick was good. I’d like “icing the kicker” to be outlawed. Not sure how to do it, but I’d like to see that happen.
    2) I think it was despicable for the Baltimore fans to boo their QB. He got your team to the dance, where would your team be without him? I will boo refs for bad calls and players for dirty play, but I have never booed for poor performance. I’ve had plenty of opportunity for the latter.

7. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I agree. The Ravens had a genuine chance to win the game because of those TD’s.

sleroi and Scott Merryfield like this.
  8. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    1. I agree. I hate the "ice the kicker" timeouts. Defense should not be allowed to take a timeout on field goal attempts when the kick is imminent.

2. I think the fans were booing the coaches more than the QB. The Ravens have a healthy SB MVP quarterback in Flacco sitting on the bench that they refused to use even when it became apparent that Jackson was struggling. I would boo, too. The goal is to do everything to win the game. The Baltimore coaching staff did not. And the fans that paid big bucks to attend the playoff game called them on it. It was nothing personal toward Jackson.

I know it was likely due to trade value concerns for Flacco, but not playing him at all at the expense of losing the game was kind of in the same arena as Belichick refusing to play Malcolm Butler in last year's SB when the defense was struggling to stop anything, without any known reason why.

9. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Yeah they weren’t boooing the rookie they were booing Harbaugh’s choice to keep him in

Malcolm R likes this.
  10. sleroi

sleroi Second Unit

Gavin Kopp
    When you recover an onside kick attempt, run 3 horribly conservative plays, and quickly give the other team the ball right back... well, then those two garbage time touchdowns that your defense allowed suddenly become a big deal.

Thankfully they pulled themselves together and ended the game spectacularly. But it was way too close for comfort.

And I agree, Reggie, offensively the Chargers haven’t looked themselves for a few weeks now. Allen, Williams and Benjamin and not only no deep completions, but very few attempts even.

I cringed when Gordon ran in on 4th and 1. But I guess they knew what they were doing.

And I have to give props to Rivers for his late rush for a first down.

New England’s D isn’t quite as intimidating as Baltimore, so maybe next week they’ll let Rivera throw a bit more. Should be a fun game.

Johnny Angell likes this.
  11. Scott Merryfield

The coaching hiring has begun. Josh McDaniels is staying put as OC in New England, Green Bay hires Matt LaFleur, Tampa hires Bruce Arians, and Arizona goes out to left field and gets Kliff Kingsbury. I don't understand that last one.

12. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    What do folks her think of the previous run when the fumble return for a touchdown was nullified. After replays aplenty, it looked it could have been a fumble or he was down by contact short of a TD, or Gordon scored a TD. I'm not sure.

13. sleroi

sleroi Second Unit

Gavin Kopp
    I didn’t understand why the ball was spotted on the one yard line and not the one inch line since the previous play, which probably should have been a touchdown, was right on the goal line.

The Gordon play probably could have gone any of three ways. His elbow clearly touched down before the ball crossed the plane, but I don’t think there was conclusive evidence as to wether or not he was controlling the ball with his fingers at that point. If he was, it should have been a touchdown. But it seemed to me it came loose at the exact same time his elbow hit. And even in slow motion I couldn’t tell if it was down or a fumble. I was honestly amazed that with no conclusive evidence, and not having whistled the run back dead, that they didn’t call it a Ravens touchdown. Karma for not calling the previous play a touchdown I guess.

14. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Is my memory that bad? I thought the “not a fumble-not a TD” play was 3rd down, and then Golden definitely ran it in for a TD on 4th.

15. sleroi

sleroi Second Unit

Gavin Kopp
    You are correct. I thought you were asking about the 3rd down play? Sorry if my reply was confusing. I thought the spot after second down was bad, because the ball was clearly right on the goal line, but was spotted at what looked like the 1 1/2 yard line.

Johnny Angell likes this.
  16. Scott Merryfield

The officials never seem to change the spot of a ball after a review unless that change results in a first down or TD. I never understood why - - maybe it's part of the review rules.

17. Scott Merryfield

I would still like to understand how Kliff Kingsbury caught the eye of both the Cardinals and the Jets for their head coaching positions, and was able to land the Arizona job. He has almost no experience as an assistant or a player in the NFL, had a mediocre record in his one college head coach job, and also has limited experience as a coordinator in the NCAA. How did he become such a sought-after candidate?

18. sleroi

sleroi Second Unit

Gavin Kopp

Pat Mahomes

19. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    So, the way I evaluate the Chargers win in Baltimore would be that on the whole they played a good tough game as a team where they mostly dominated the game in all phases.

I have no issues with the Chargers defense as that was a much improved performance from them and I credit the defense for basically dominating and winning the game.

The Chargers special teams also came through in a big way making a lot of great plays and putting points on the board. Their kicking and return games were at a much higher level than I am used to seeing them at. Often watching a Chargers game you fear horrific special teams mistakes...this really did not happen.

If I had concerns with anything it was the Chargers offense, which was incredibly conservative and really took no risks at all. This is generally not a good strategy in a playoff game as if you don't take some chances and try to get points on the board you are going to end up in trouble. I think due to Rivers throwing some interceptions in the previous game against the Ravens and the Ravens generating such a tremendous pass rush in that game that the Chargers plan on offense was to stick to short passes and plays that put the emphasis on attacking the edges of the Ravens defense.

Fine, but the big issue I saw with this was the Ravens figured that all out pretty quickly and so the Chargers were not having a great time moving the ball. They kept settling for FG after FG but here the Chargers seemed to be focused on the idea that what they wanted was to make the Ravens play from behind.

Rivers said once they established a two score lead they were where they wanted to be offensively. My big problem with this is when you have Rivers and a bunch of offensive weapons you should not be thrilled about having just a 12 point lead. Granted, the Ravens defense was really good but the Chargers offense played them like they felt like they could not beat them.

So, I was not a fan of the game plan on offense and they never got out of it because they held a lead so they just played conservative on offense the entire game. That was why the Ravens were able to climb back into the game with a couple of scores.

The thing is though, having seen all sorts of horrible Chargers games where they made awful mistakes, in this game the awful mistakes did not come...unless you want to call playing that conservative on offense a mistake. I wouldn't mainly because they did that intentionally.

So, the two late Ravens scores did not bother me, particularly when the Chargers defense closed out the game in dominant fashion.

I think when you look at the Chargers you look for the horrible choke type mistake. They did not do that in the Ravens game. They played tough through the game. Made a couple minor errors late which they overcame but the truth is the Ravens were never really in that game.

Now, here's the thing...the next team they play, the Patriots, they can't use that same game plan to win.

If you play conservative offense against New England you are going to let the Patriots hang around and give Brady a shot to beat you at the end. So, they better unleash Rivers and those weapons in this game. They need to score touchdowns not FGs in this game.

If your kicker kicks 5 FGs against the Patriots that probably means you are going to lose that game.

Where the Chargers knew if they put up 24 points against the Ravens they would likely win the game against the Patriots you better set your sights on 35 otherwise you are going to be in a serious dogfight.

Now, the good news is I think the Chargers match-up far better against the Patriots than they do the Ravens. The Ravens defense was much more of a challenge.

I also think the Chargers defense, particularly if Ingram is fired up again, presents serious problems for the Patriots offense. The Chargers pass rush should be an issue for the Patriots.

So, this looks like a good match-up for the Chargers. Now in terms of coaching Lynn vs. Belichick obviously seems to heavily favor the Patriots but the Chargers by far have more talent than the Patriots and if they use it wisely they can beat them.

20. Scott Merryfield

Interesting. However, does Josh Rosen have anywhere near the talent of Mohomes? This is an honest question, as I cannot remember ever seeing Rosen play a game in college, and I didn't watch any Cardinals games this season. Mohomes just oozes talent, so I'm not sure how much credit Kingsbury should get for him.