What's new

NFL 2018-2019 Thread (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Here's what is fairly horrible to consider about the Chargers loss to the Patriots, the Chargers coaching staff appeared to be asleep at the wheel. These numbers are ridiculous...

Tom Brady threw 44 passes in the game. Of those 44, 30 of them were at only two players. Edelman and RB James White. At pretty much no time did the Chargers coaches seem to notice this. They allowed the Patriots to use two receivers to utterly destroy them and never made an adjustment. So, the Patriots did the same thing over and over and over again and the Chargers coaches watched it happen.

Second shameful stat that shows the Chargers coaches were as much good to the team as you and I watching on the couch at home, the Patriots tipped their hand on what they were doing on just about every offensive snap. Any time the Patriots had Sony Michel on the field they called a running play. Any time they had James White on the field it was a pass. This was not 100% but basically about 96% of the time.

So, not only were the Patriots basically throwing to the same two guys over and over, they were just handing the ball to Michel whenever he ran out on the field.

So, there was literally no surprise in what the Patriots did...NONE. You know who would have adjusted to that, Bill Belichick. You know who didn't? Anybody on the Chargers coaching staff. Gus Bradley could have just taken a nap during the game.

OK, final stat that pretty much tells the tale of this game...

On 70% of the offensive passing plays for the Chargers, and there were a lot Rivers dropped to throw 51 times, Rivers was pressured. 70%! And just as on defense nobody made an adjustment...nothing was done to address that. Is there any wonder why Rivers was screaming at people on his team throughout the game? By game's end you could actually hear it sounded like Rivers had lost his voice.

Lynn did say after the game that they did make a couple adjustments but they were too late making them. I think that is a massive understatement. If they made them it must have been late in the second half at which point the Patriots really could not have cared less what they tried.

The Charger O-line often just looked utterly confused and backs that should have been blocking on passing plays looked like they had no clue. Rivers several times ripped into people that missed blocks or acted as if they had no idea they were supposed to be blocking on a play. I watched one Charger O-linemen on a play turn to his right, look right at a rushing Patriots linemen, and then quickly turned to his left where there was NOBODY and stand there staring into space as Rivers got sacked.

Needless to say, Rivers got up off the turf and screamed at the guy.

When the coaching is that inept and players look that confused and then you throw in a giant special teams mistake like King's fumble...well...against the Patriots and Belichick, that spells blow-out.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Here's what I wonder...

Reid and his staff will be looking at that Chargers game this week and what they are going to see is what I mentioned above, the Patriots throwing over and over to the same two players and tipping their hand based on what RB is on the field on pretty much every single play.

How much do you want to bet that Belichick loves that this is what Reid and his coaches are going to be looking at and most likely preparing for in the AFC Championship game?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Man, Adam Gase sure has some bug eyes. In New York, they've been playing clips of yesterday's news conference with "Psycho" music playing the background as his bug eyes were bulging out as he scan the room during questioning.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/14/a...-reactions-jets-introductory-press-conference

That's pretty funny and I know the idea with this hire was to give Darnold a QB guy as his head coach and I am all for second chances but Gase was not a good HC in Miami. Now he's bringing that set of skills north, in the same division...I mean do they expect different results?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
They’re expecting brutally cold conditions at Arrowhead Sunday night. This will likely hinder Mahomes and the passing game.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
A bit surprising that this will be the first time the Chiefs will host the AFC championship game. Arrowhead will be off the chain- that’s one of the loudest stadiums in the league for a regular season game.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
A bit surprising that this will be the first time the Chiefs will host the AFC championship game. Arrowhead will be off the chain- that’s one of the loudest stadiums in the league for a regular season game.
If they can fill it. I wouldn't want to sit for hours in single digit weather, playoffs or not.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yeah, I thought this was supposed to be a better, different Chargers team this year. But it ended up just more of the same (as Johnny predicted). They didn't come up with anything different on defense against Brady, just more of the same old zone and some of the 7 DB look they used last week, which NE anticipated.

I hope they did not run out. They had to shoot the muskets five times already by half-time.

Thought we might be headed for a possible SB rematch with the Patriots and Eagles, but Philly shot their wad in the first half of the first quarter and were never heard from again.
The Patriots get ready to play their next opponent better than anyone. It would be fun to run an experiment in an alternate universe and put Brady on another team and leave Bellechick with the Pats. I think Coach B. would do the best. But I’m not knocking Brady, just praising Bellechick.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If they can fill it. I wouldn't want to sit for hours in single digit weather, playoffs or not.
Oh, they will fill that stadium.

In this era of franchises demanding new, ultra modern stadiums and threatening to relocate if the local taxpayers do not fund them, it's amazing to see that Arrowhead Stadium was first opened in 1972.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, here's something interesting to think about...

The four head coaches that made it to the conference championship games are, basically, the four best coaches currently working in the NFL.

So, does coaching matter?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Eh, Are they?

It's something we can debate but I would say they are. Reid is probably the easiest to disagree with because of his playoff record but he does a good job with getting his offenses ready to play. The job he did this year with that Chiefs offense has been tremendous. He probably has to be considered one of the best offensive coaches in the game...arguments against him as a head coach I think could be made.

Belichick is quite possibly the best coach in the history of the NFL. I think it is hard to compare what anybody else has done to what he has accomplished in an age of football that constantly worked against accomplishing it. He is by far the best coach in the league and nobody gets near him.

McVay may be the next great coach. I think so far he has been outstanding but I will admit to judge him against others we have to see how he does over time. Lots of coaches put together a couple good seasons and he does have a pretty talent loaded team. So, while I see the clear argument against him as an all time great, he just has not had the time to get there, he is doing some of the best coaching in the league this year. At the very least if he faced Belichick in the Super Bowl it would be one seriously awesome coaching match-up.

Payton, outside of his suspension, is I think one of the top coaches in the league and next to Reid may be the other great veteran offensive mind. That Saints team a couple seasons ago was in disarray and Payton put it all back together. I think he is probably a better head coach than Reid and so as a head coach you would rank him above Reid but as offensive minds I think they are on the same level.

I mean list your guys, Tony, you might put ahead of these guys. I think for me these 4 really are the standouts. I can see people wanting to remove Reid and replace him with Pete Carroll or maybe there are fans of John Harbaugh, or Bill O'Brien but to me the four guys I listed are above these guys.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So, here's something interesting to think about...

The four head coaches that made it to the conference championship games are, basically, the four best coaches currently working in the NFL.

So, does coaching matter?
I'm not sure the best four coaches are working this weekend. However, to answer your question, yes, coaching really matters in football.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I definitely agree that coaching matters greatly in football -- probably more so then in any of the major team sports. However, it's highly debatable whether the four best current NFL coaches will be going at it this weekend. Bellichick is without a doubt, and I agree with Payton, too. The other two,, though, can be argued for or against. Personally, I have never been a big And Reid admirer -- I just cannot get past his awful clock management. I think Reid has set the standard for badness in this area.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I certainly am aware that there are plenty of arguments to be made against Reid from his playoff record, to yes atrocious clock management, to the occasional colossal in game brain fart...Philly fans have a list.

When I look around the league though I don't really see many or hardly anybody that is his equal as an offensive coach. He's been employed so many years for this specific skill. As a head coach he has some obvious weaknesses. For one thing he seems to rarely be actually looking at the game. He is constantly got his head buried in his play chart.

This is something I really like about Belichick, McVay, and Payton...they all watch the game intensely. Belichick often looks like he is some guy that randomly wandered onto the sideline and is staring at things wondering where he is but wow, he is picking up on everything and planning every adjustment or play he sees that will throw off the opponent.

McVay also seems to be memorizing everything that happens and looks like at any moment he will sprint onto the field and knock Goff out of the way and take over at QB or tell his safety to sit down he's got this play. I know you can argue McVay has a talent loaded team so, lets see how he does when he has less talent.

On offense Payton also looks like he is dissecting the other teams defense and with Brees that's typically what they do. I don't think Payton pays as much attention or dissects what his own defense is doing as Belichick and McVay but he is a very sharp guy that pays attention and if a game is going wrong he will get involved with any adjustments he thinks need to happen.

Pete Carroll is a smart coach and a really likable guy but I think he will roll the dice more than the guys above. That looks good when the gamble pays off, horrible when it doesn't. I think the coaches I mentioned above tend to be more likely to beat you not with a gamble but just through outstanding decision making, preparation, and knowing what will work, not guessing at it.

I like Bill O'Brien because he just seems to keep winning through all kinds of setbacks and nonsense. He seems to have the preparation thing down and he coaches the heck out of his teams. I just think the Texans have been such a headache for him from the injuries, to not having a QB, to having to fight with the team management. He probably would be in a better spot if he went to another team.

Then there is John Harbaugh who is a solid coach but he seems to be sort of like Reid except he does his best work on defense. The offense on his teams always seems the second fiddle to the defense...literally the opposite of Reid.

After you get past these guys though I think there is a big coaching drop off and the rest of the NFL head coaches are just mediocre at least until they show something otherwise. I thought Pederson in Philly did a good job righting the ship after a rough start.

Matt Nagy and Frank Reich had good opening years but we have seen less from them than from McVay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks