What's new

NFL 2018-2019 Thread (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The owners passed the rule, so they must be fine with it. But I agree that it's ridiculous.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have only watched a little preseason, but the flags have been ridiculous. While I can understand trying to make the game safer, these rules are making the sport nearly unwatchable.

I watched some of the Ravens - Colts game last evening. I know it's early, but Lamar Jackson did not resemble an NFL QB in any way. He was wildly inaccurate and very slow in making decisions in the pocket. He also has some of the skinniest legs I've seen on an NFL player. I wonder how he will hold up to the abuse of being a mobile QB. I don't see him being ready to step in for Baltimore should Flacco go down at all this season. If the team lets RG3 go, they are crazy.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I can see it now...critical division game...offense driving for winning score...defense holding firm, playing tough, critical down, defense stops them, yet are flagged with a 15-yard penalty for making a great tackle with no helmet-first contact, and the offense gets a first and wins.

When that happens, fans are going to go ape shit. I'd go ape shit even if it wasn't my team who got screwed. It is the worst rule I have ever seen mainly because it seems nearly impossible to call consistently accurately.

Flags for that penalty have been thrown more than 150 times so far in preseason. Nuts.

And how is a DB supposed to stop a 230lb running back if the DB can't lower his head? WTF?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Aaron Donald was the highest paid defensive player in league history for a day. The Bears trade two first round choices to the Raiders for Khalil Mack and then top Donald's contract.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Aaron Donald was the highest paid defensive player in league history for a day. The Bears trade two first round choices to the Raiders for Khalil Mack and then top Donald's contract.
It's going to be another long season for Raiders fans as Gruden appears to be stuck in a time warp, 20 years old. Based on his moves since the draft, my prediction is that Gruden doesn't move with the team to Las Vegas. It's now a bigger dumpster fire than when he took over earlier this year.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The NFL roster cut downs happened over the weekend. Not too many surprises -- the Raiders seemed to be the only team with much of note. As previously mentioned, they traded Khalil Mack, but they also acquired QB A.J. McCarron from Buffalo and cut QB Connor Cook and WR Martavis Bryant. They sure gave up on Cook quickly for a mediocre McCarron, and wasted a 3rd round draft pick when they traded for Bryant before the draft.

It will be interesting to see how Philly starts the season. Their offense will be missing both Carson Wentz and Alshon Jeffrey.

Laveon Bell still hasn't reported to Pittsburgh to sign his franchise tender. He has to report by Week 9 in order to have the season count and allow him to be a free agent next season, so this drama could go on for awhile, but he was expected to report before the first regular season game. We'll see what unfolds this week, but I do not expect Bell to be back in Pittsburgh next year. The Steelers (or any team) would be insane to pay a running back his age what he's asking for -- he's nearing that 30 year old mark when most running backs really fall off in production. I expect Pittsburgh to run him into the ground this season and then let him walk away.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I'm entering this NFL season with no playoff hopes for either the Giants nor Raiders. Frankly, I think the Raiders are a dumpster fire and might be competing for one of the worst records this upcoming season. My real issue with the Raiders is that they've been awful drafting. Too many of their draft picks have not panned out except for Mack, Carr and Cooper. So they get these draft picks from the Bears, but they suck at drafting. The Giants are betting that Eli has something left in the tank. If his offensive line can't protect him again then he's in for a long season. Barkley is the wild card for Eli. If he can rush for some serious yardage despite the offensive line then perhaps Eli can operate some with his receiving corps.

I almost cancelled my NFL Sunday Ticket with DirecTV, but they gave me $55 off my bill for the next 12 months so that more than covers the $50 for the next six months of the Sunday Ticket.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Robert, I understand your reluctance to renew Sunday Ticket when your team(s) do not look to be very good. I was struggling with the same decision with my NHL.tv subscription for the upcoming season, as my team (Montreal) looks like they are going to be bad again. I still think I'm going to let it renew, though, as I do enjoy watching hockey, but don't usually care to watch two teams which I have little interest in.

I have similar concerns about the Steelers for this season. Their defense is still a work in progress, and the offense appears that it will be without LeVeon Bell for a chunk of the season. Also, the team still hasn't addressed the hole at tight end that occurred two years ago when Heath Miller retired. I really wish they would have invested a fifth round pick in Jake Butt a year ago. He sat out last season due to injury, but I think Denver got a fine tight end with little investment. The team may be wasting the last few years of Big Ben's career.

I ended up turning off last night's Philly - Atlanta game at the two minute warning in the first half. It was such a boring game.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
What a stinker to open the season. Inept offenses and 28 penalties. This was the best the NFL had to offer to kick off the season? I was actually happy when my cable went out mid-way through the 4th quarter, as it meant I had to go to bed.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That was quite a game last night between the Bears and Packers. Chicago looked like a Super Bowl contender in the first half, and Aaron Rodgers did his best Willis Reed / Kirk Gibson imitation in the 2nd half. I thought the Bears would be improved this season, but didn't expect that first half.

The Steelers did their usual Jekyll and Hyde act between the road and home, and blew a two touchdown lead against the lowly Browns. I think it's going to be a difficult season for Pittsburgh.

I watched the afternoon games in a fun way. It's the 20th anniversary of the fantasy football league I'm in with a bunch of friends. One of the guys is a member of the Detroit Athletic Club, which is located next to Comerica Park and Ford Field. He hosted us in a suite that overlooks the stadiums, and we had games on two big screen TV's. The Tigers were playing the Cardinals at the baseball park (which was quite empty except for St. Louis fans who must have come from out of town). We had fun, watching football, eating some food, having some beers and giving each other crap about each others fantasy teams.

Here's a view into Comerica Park from our vantage point at the club:

i-NBPn6Mz-X3.jpg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Welcome to head coaching, Matt Patricia. :D

It doesn't look like he did anything to get the Lions ready for the Jets and their rookie QB.

Jets are whomping the Lions like Tiffany Haddish on Kevin Hart in the trailers for Night School.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Lions looked awful in all aspects of the game. You know it's bad when the crowd stops booing and just becomes silent. Fans were streaming out of the stadium in the 3rd quarter. I had a couple of friends at the game - - I bet they were not happy.

Welcome to the Detroit Lions, Matt Patricia... you poor bastard. :laugh:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Anyone else notice the extreme bass on the audio from last night's Bengals - Ravens game on the NFL Network? I initially thought it was some kid driving down the street with his car stereo too loud, but then discovered it was coming from my system. I flipped to the college game on ESPN and the audio was normal. I found it very annoying.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
My Vikes tied the Pack 29-29.
There were a couple of bogus roughing the passer calls, one on team team.
These two teams last tied in 2013, 26-26.
They also tied in 1978, 10-10.

Baker Mayfield may indeed be the savior that the Browns need.
He came off the bench down 3-14 and rally the team to victory 21-17 over the Jets.
Mayfield even caught a 2 point conversion.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/9...s-2-point-conversion-catch-rose-bowl-oklahoma

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Baker Mayfield may indeed be the savior that the Browns need.
He came off the bench down 3-14 and rally the team to victory 21-17 over the Jets.
Mayfield even caught a 2 point conversion.
Many thought the same about Sam Darnold and the Jets. But after one good game, he hasn't looked that great.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, three weeks in and...

The Rams and Chiefs at present are the two most exciting teams in the NFL.

Patrick Mahomes looks freaking amazing. Sure the league does not have a book on him yet but some of the stuff he does there is no way to describe never mind call a tendency. Is "amazing" a tendency?

Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, and Rosen have all been handed the starting jobs. So much for bringing these guys along slowly.

The Patriots look horrible. Serious lack of talent on this team. The Lions showed everybody how to beat them right now, just double and triple team Gronk the entire game. Force the Patriots offense to go anywhere but to him. Brady looks rusty and off target. The defense continues to look like crap. Miami should drop them to 1-3 this Sunday. I know that September is preseason for the Patriots but not sure they can overcome the lack of talent on both sides of the ball.

Carson Wentz is back and so the Eagles should get better. Foles was horrible filling in.

The Vikings were tagged as a Super Bowl contender and got crushed by a Bills team that has no offensive line, crap WRs, and a rookie QB (who threw on them, ran on them, and leapt over them). That's a head scratcher.

Apparently you are no longer allowed to tackle a QB. You can give them a gentle hug and whisper words of reassurance in their ear.

The Chargers still have horrible issues with injuries, special teams play, and receivers dropping balls that hit them in the hands and or between the numbers. Other than that, sure, they are awesome.

Gruden is back...and working on his 10 year plan. I don't think he cares much for Carr and I think he will eventually move to bring in "his guy" at QB whomever that may be. It became pretty obvious when they traded Mack that Gruden felt this team stinks and he wants to bring in his own "guys" to replace pretty much everybody.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm afraid my Raiders are toast and Gruden is going to set them back another ten years. Oh well, thankfully in my senior years, I don't place as much emphasis on sports as I finally realize my enjoyment is mainly due to winning and as a fan you're at the mercy of others in that regard.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yes, that Vikings performance against the Bills was a shocker. We were on Mackinac Island and went into a bar/restaurant in the early 2nd quarter and the score was stunning. Not sure what happened, but that terrible Bills team shouldn't have been able to do that in Minnesota.

The Patriots offense should get some new life, as newly acquired Josh Gordon will be in the line up this week and Julian Edelman returns next week. That should pull some of the coverage off Gronk -- assuming Gordon can stay out of trouble.

I missed the Lions - Pats game, as the satellite TV signal kept going out at the hotel on Mackinac Island (we were in the lobby playing cards during the game).

Reggie, I agree that the rougher the passer penalties have become ridiculous. Every game I have watched there have been silly calls. I do not know how the league expects guys to play any defense under these rules. I understand wanting to protect the quarterbacks, as nobody wants to see the star players get hurt, but league has taken it too far, IMO. Pretty soon the QB's will be like punters, and will never be allowed to be touched. At that point the sport will be turned into a basketball game, with teams just going up and down the field and scoring at will. I am finding the game less and less enjoyable to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks