What's new

NFL 2012 Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Michael Vick has thrown 6 interceptions and only 3 touchdown passes so far this season. Yet, the Eagles are 2-0, and alone in 1st in the NFC East. Still hard to believe that they came away with a victory, with all the mistakes they made in the game, though it's probably more due to the Ravens not bothering to show up in the 2nd half.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Scott Merryfield said:
Yeah, Brady really was terrible last year! It sure looked like he was just going through the motions in passing for 5000+ yards and getting the Pats to the Super Bowl. :rolleyes:
Fat lot of good it did when they lost...to the Giants...again.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Walter C said:
Michael Vick has thrown 6 interceptions and only 3 touchdown passes so far this season. Yet, the Eagles are 2-0, and alone in 1st in the NFC East. Still hard to believe that they came away with a victory, with all the mistakes they made in the game, though it's probably more due to the Ravens not bothering to show up in the 2nd half.
Walter,
Perhaps the key to winning is turnovers? The Eagles have nine turnovers in two games, and have come away victorious in both. So by extension, seventy-two turnovers ought to lead them to a 16-0 regular season. ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Malcolm R said:
Fat lot of good it did when they lost...to the Giants...again.
Methinks your expectations have grown too much based on the Pats success. No team wins it all every year. Most fans would be quite happy with just getting to a Super Bowl. Brady's gotten you there five times, winning three of them, and he's a lock as a first ballot Hall of Famer. And your team will be in the mix in the AFC again this season. As a Lions fan, I would take that, along with a September loss to the Cards, any time. So would the fan of any other NFL team.
...and, as Patrick mentioned, he's married to a super model. What guy wouldn't want to be Tom Brady?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This Brady talk reminds me of the bit in The Dark Knight:
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to become the villain."

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
A good move for the Patriots in my opinion.
http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/8394031/new-england-patriots-add-te-kellen-winslow-jr-sources-say

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Hernandez was destined to get injured, as I drafted him on my fantasy team this year. I'm known as the "player killer" in my league, as I get more guys hurt by far than any of our other teams. Between my curse and the Madden Curse, I figured that Calvin Johnson's head would have exploded if I'd drafted him this year. :laugh:
Still a good signing by the Pats. How much will you give me not to pick him up on fantasy waivers this week, Scott?
After two weeks:
The Good
49ers
Cardinals
Falcons
Texans
Chargers
The Bad
Saints
Browns
Jags
Raiders
Chiefs
The Ugly
Replacement Refs
Titans

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"How much will you give me not to pick him up on fantasy waivers this week, Scott?"
Hmm, I'll have to think about that. Please tell me you don't have either Brady or Gronk on your team!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
"How much will you give me not to pick him up on fantasy waivers this week, Scott?"
Hmm, I'll have to think about that. Please tell me you don't have either Brady or Gronk on your team!
No, but I do have Steven Ridley. :D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
How long was that Falcons-Broncos game last night? My recording with 30 extra minutes still cut off with 2:30 minutes left on the game clock. Sheesh! Had to watch SportsCenter to find the final score.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Ockeghem said:
Replacement Refs
Titans
I would definitely add the Eagles to that list, mainly because of all of those turnovers. And fitting the very definition of ugly wins.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Patrick Sun said:
How long was that Falcons-Broncos game last night? My recording with 30 extra minutes still cut off with 2:30 minutes left on the game clock. Sheesh! Had to watch SportsCenter to find the final score.
I am not sure, but they were barely into the 2nd quarter at 10pm when I shut it off and went to bed. The first quarter was horrible to watch -- the refs had no clue what they were doing, and lost complete control over the game. A couple more performances like that during nationally televised games and the real refs will be back.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Walter,
Good one. I was thinking of giveaways, though.
Scott,
Let's hope they're back soon. The clock management alone of the replacement refs has been pretty bad in my opinion.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun /t/323322/nfl-2012-season-discussion-thread#post_3976955
I recorded the whole game but the next day after I saw the game, I deleted it, Since I can look at all NFL games later, I played back the last bit. From circa 2:30 to the end, it was 6 minutes plus the "two minute " break.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
3 more turnovers for the Eagles! Either their offense is so inept, or the Cardinals defense is that good! Also, Kevin Kolb getting the chance to stick it to his former team. And it's hard to believe that the Cards are 3-0.

Still, 1st and Goal at the 1, and Reid decides that a pass play is the way to go. Wasting this opportunity in the red zone is bad enough, but to fumble the ball away, taken for a touchdown, pretty much was the nail in the coffin.

Their next opponent are the Giants, who will embarrass them on national TV.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I thought I had seen every possible way for the Lions to blow a game, but I was wrong. After surrendering 5 long touchdowns -- including two on kick returns and one on a fumble return where the TE just let the defensive back take the ball away -- Detroit still manages to luck themselves into overtime by scoring twice in the final 18 seconds, which included a successful onside kick followed by a Hail Mary pass. Then the new overtime rules give them a reprieve and allow them a "do over" after allowing the Titans to kick a FG on the opening drive in OT. They then drive deep into Tennessee territory, and have a fourth down and a foot. So instead of either (1) kicking the field goal, or (2) going for the first down, then instead try the brilliant third option of "trying to draw the opponent offside"... while ON THE ROAD!!!!!
Of course, in typical Lions fashion they screw up the play, fumble the snap (which shouldn't have happened), and lose the game. Personally, I thought they should have just gone for the first down, as their defense wouldn't have stopped the Titans on the next drive anyway. But trying to get clever with drawing your opponent offsides never works -- unless, of course, your opponent is the Lions, who jump offside in their sleep.
Who out there would have predicted that after three weeks the Saints would be 0-3 AND the Cardinals would be 3-0? While I can rationalize the Saints record, I cannot figure out how Arizona is undefeated. It must have something to do with radiation from testing nuclear bombs in the desert, ala all those old science fiction movies. There is no other rational explanation.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,
Thank goodness for the impartial commentary of perhaps one of your all-time favorite football commentators, Mike Martz. Or else the Lions' loss would have been a complete waste. ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott,
Thank goodness for the impartial commentary of perhaps one of your all-time favorite football commentators, Mike Martz. Or else the Lions' loss would have been a complete waste. ;)
Yeah, Martz was pretty bad. It is nice to know, though, that his ego is still quite intact. :laugh:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The Sunday Night Football game was like West Side Story between the Jets and the Sharks. The officiating is almost becoming integral like refs are in the WWE.
I'm cautiously optimistic about the Falcons, I like what Nolan's doing with the defense, and Asante Samuel's football instincts seem to have rubbed off on Thomas Decoud.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks