What's new

NFL 2011 - Off-season thread (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Someday, one of the cities that advanced money for stadium improvements will threaten to call the loans if this drags out. Here in kc there is a hundred million million plus with an add on to their lease. If the season is delayed, the city should think about calling in the financing.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think this will drag on through the summer, and get settled a couple of weeks before the regular season begins. With the owners losing the court battle over getting TV money this season even if it's canceled, both sides have too much to lose for there not to be a season.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The Pessimist in me: the lockout goes about 4 games into the season, and the player cave to the owners. Fans turn out for college and high school football in droves.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I'd like to see the lockout go two games into the season, and then get resolved. Then, we'd have the sixteen-game regular season again. ;)

I believe that NFL fans will take whatever is dished to them, IMO. In other words, I don't believe for a moment that a lockout will hurt the multi-billion dollar industry. I also don't believe that the owners care at all what the fans actually believe or think about this. It's all about dividing up the pot.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
As long as the playoffs and Super Bowl are preserved, the fans will forgive and forget. If an entire season gets canceled, though, all bets are off. However, I do not think it will come to that. The players will cave once those paychecks do not show up.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
The big key is the TV money. If the networks withhold the money (which they should if there are no games) the owners will come around quickly.

[FONT= 'Arial']Quote: [/FONT]

[FONT= 'Arial']Originally Posted by [/FONT][FONT= 'Arial']Patrick Sun[/FONT][FONT= 'Arial'] [/FONT][FONT= 'Arial'] [/FONT][FONT= 'Arial'][/FONT]

[FONT= 'Arial']....Fans turn out for college and [/FONT][FONT= 'Arial']high school [/FONT][FONT= 'Arial']football in droves.[/FONT]

You really think an NFL fan is going to get their fix via High School games.

Even college games won’t see an increase in attendance or TV reviews.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Even college games won’t see an increase in attendance or TV reviews.

I agree. College football is not really in direct competition with the NFL. College games are played mostly on Saturdays, and the big time schools already fill their stadiums -- I don't think Michigan will be squeezing in any more than their current 113,000 per game. I do not see how they will draw a bigger fan base from an NFL lockout.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Maybe this year Big Blue can entertain it's fans again by losing to that powerhouse known as Appalachian State. :)

Oh wait after that titanic experience they dropped them for a real powerhouse, Eastern Michigan.

That must be the Home Coming game.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by Patrick_S /forum/thread/309605/nfl-2011-off-season-thread#post_3790457

That must be the Home Coming game.

Actually, things are looking up in Ann Arbor. Early indications are the new coach, Brady Hoke, will be a huge improvement over RichRod. He did a better job recruiting after being hired only three weeks before signing day than Rodriguez did his first year, when he had a few months before signing day. He also hired Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Greg Mattison as the DC (they are long time friends), so Michigan now has a coaching staff that knows defense (RichRod couldn't even spell the word). Finally, Hoke has a history of tailoring his offensive and defensive schemes around his talent, which is the exact opposite of RichRod -- who only knew one offensive scheme, and ran it whether he had the right players or not (the NCAA version of Mike Martz).

I feel better about Michigan football right now than I have in years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks