What's new

Next-generation hardware FAQ (1 Viewer)

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
when you hook up the hi def pack on the xbox it lets you go into the menu to enable either 480, 720, or 1080, when you start an xbox game you will see a flicker when it first boots up to enable the higher res modes

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Greg -- actually, some analog (i.e. NON-HD) TVs have component inputs on them. My sister bought a 13" TV for her dorm, and it has component inputs on it.
My guess is that it has something to do with the wide acceptance of DVD players. :)
HD almost always uses Component, but Component does NOT necesarily mean HD.
Just wanted to clear that up. :D

Matt Lane

Agent
There was once a thread on here that listed all games for these three consoles that supported 480P mode and above. Does anyone have that handy.

Thanks

Matt

Greg_TSL

Stunt Coordinator
Ooops, sorry, thought your message was on a different thread, I think I just posted this thread for you to reference :frowning:

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Please correct me if I'm wrong but the way I understand it is that to get High Definition Picture, you must use Component Video. Its like activating the Digital sound capabilities of the Xbox (I know nothing of the PS2), you must use an optical line in to your reciever to get the 5.1 decoding.

And I would say most commercial DVD players are Progressive scan now. I origianl thought the Xbox was also but was told later it had the capapbility but it is not unlocked yet. Someone said MSFT will release a upgrade disk that has a program that unlocks that feature. I understand nothing of how this works and if its true or not, but maybe someone can shed some light on this.

Greg_TSL

Stunt Coordinator
Bill, you are correct. The Xbox requires an adapter that allows both component video cables and an optical cable to be attached to the Xbox. This yields 5.1 Dolby Digital and progressive video playback (or higher resolutions like 720p and 1080i if the games support it)
As for outputting DVD playback in progresssive scan, this article discusses it and gives a link to bug Microsoft to support it. Sounds like Microsoft currently has no plans to enable it :frowning:
http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...9438076-1.html

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
I have the setup for HD and Digital sound I just wasn't sure if to get HD signal you must be connected with Component video or if there was something new out there I hadn't heard of yet. Thanks though.

The link however was great thanks.

Sam Pat

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding all that talk on PS2's progscan mode.

Has anyone even played Guilty Gear X2? That has progscan.

You enable it by holding a certain button during startup.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Just a thought. Why do the Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube continue to be referred to as "next generation" consoles? Aren't they the current generation? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.