What's new

Newbie with big dreams (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Raul
I just moved into my first home out of college, and recently married with a baby on the way. My wife and I have always been huge movie watching fans but weren't big on going into a crowded theater and dealing with the crowds. I'm here to get ideas to set up a good movie watching experience for us without breaking the bank. Excited to be here!!

Real Name
Raul
My budget is hopefully around 500 for now. Right now I have an Insignia NS-R5101 receiver with NS-HT51 speakers(one center, one left and one right) with an Insignia sub, also NS-HT51. I'm not sure what Atmos is...so I'm not sure, for now I'm thinking a 7.1 would be more than enough, but like I said, I want to leave room for upgrading. eventually I would like something like a 9.2. I dont mind refurbs if that's what you mean by sources

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Sources are...

Blu-ray Disc player, cable/sat STB, PS/XBox, CD player...

You could start with a more advanced AVR and a pair of larger front speakers. Easily attainable at $500.

Real Name
Raul
right now its just my apple TV and I use my computer with HDMI. I will be purchasing a PS4 soon and that will be my blu-ray player, unless there is a reason to get a separate player. so 3 sources including Computer. If you have any suggestions for an advanced AVR and speakers I would appreciate it!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Not really, but I always recommend a multi-region player(start around $150) so you can import. Buying from Amazon UK/Fr/De is extremely easy. And...often importing costs less.

Real Name
Raul
Are you saying I should get a multi region player so I can buy blurays from overseas Amazon for cheaper and they will play? Are there any other benefits to a multi region player?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is the, only, reason to go multi-region.

The main reason importing can cost less...

Criterion, Twilight Time and others price "higher than average" to begin with. Arrow, Gaumont etc on "same titles" are quite often the same masters(though in some cases color timing can be different). Due diligence is required to make sure you aren't getting lesser product. But, on the flipside...sometimes the lesser product is ours.

And...even though they aren't region locked(most of the time), Disney stopped offering 3D domestically. But...that opens a rabbit hole once you see what is across the pond that isn't here...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You have to ask yourself "Will I really want to import a lot of movies from different regions"?

The vast majority of people never do.

A good percentage of HT enthusiasts never do. I don't and I don't miss it. I don't have enough time to watch all the stuff I have on disk as is.

If it's not a priority for you those dollars could be better spent on other parts of your system for sure.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Depends what you need in a player.

Just spin discs?

A Roku-lite that just happens to include a disc spinner?

Need DLNA, MKV, USB?

(my main 5 watching areas all include...a computer, Roku and as basic as I could get player. As everything it could possibly do, net wise, is more than covered by the other two. My player needs are different than yours.)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
7.1 has nothing to do with the player. Except for $50 BD players, they all do 3D. Scaling for 4K is around the $90(street price) price point.

I prefer LG to Samsung with Sony and Panasonic even better.

LG 735 is around 120. Sony matched Samsung at $100(street wise 3D/4K) with Panny sticking to their "we'd actually like to make something on it" $160+.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks