What's new

Ticke box, handles and more...oh my (1 Viewer)

karras

Auditioning
Real Name
Damien
Hi everyone,

Newbie to forum. I'm building my very first HT that has been my dream for many years. I'm trying to reproduce more of a real old cinema feel than a modern HT. In doing so, I've purchased seats from a Cinema that was in renovation and so on. I see some online stores that reproduce stuff but it's never really authentic and costs more than what they would ever really sell it for commercially just because it's for a HT. All that being said, I had a few questions/things I'm looking for and was hoping some of you here would know where to find.

1) A ticket stub box (you know the ones that the usher would put the ticket stub in when you showed him your ticket) or plans to make one out of wood.

2) I have an opening for a two 28" doors. I want to make this look as commercial as possible but still make it myself using full wood doors that I can add trim, etc...with a kick plate and large handles. I saw kick plates at the big orange store but not huge pull handles. Anyone know where I could get these big handles? Or any other suggestions for the doors?

3) Is everyone pretty much using carpet? I was wondering about sound, kids spilling drinks, etc... I would like to hear suggestions/experience.

4) Last bu not least, ceiling; Drywall vs suspended. Granted suspended gives you future access, however again would love to hear suggestions/experience with this. I was going to add some roxul safe and sound and put 1/2 drywall.

Thank you in advance for any help and / or suggestions! Have a great day!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Hi everyone,

Newbie to forum. I'm building my very first HT that has been my dream for many years. I'm trying to reproduce more of a real old cinema feel than a modern HT. In doing so, I've purchased seats from a Cinema that was in renovation and so on. I see some online stores that reproduce stuff but it's never really authentic and costs more than what they would ever really sell it for commercially just because it's for a HT. All that being said, I had a few questions/things I'm looking for and was hoping some of you here would know where to find.

1) A ticket stub box (you know the ones that the usher would put the ticket stub in when you showed him your ticket) or plans to make one out of wood.

2) I have an opening for a two 28" doors. I want to make this look as commercial as possible but still make it myself using full wood doors that I can add trim, etc...with a kick plate and large handles. I saw kick plates at the big orange store but not huge pull handles. Anyone know where I could get these big handles? Or any other suggestions for the doors?

3) Is everyone pretty much using carpet? I was wondering about sound, kids spilling drinks, etc... I would like to hear suggestions/experience.

4) Last bu not least, ceiling; Drywall vs suspended. Granted suspended gives you future access, however again would love to hear suggestions/experience with this. I was going to add some roxul safe and sound and put 1/2 drywall.

Thank you in advance for any help and / or suggestions! Have a great day!

1) I would look at antique stores, garage sales and even eBay for the ticket box. I think it may be hard to find a real one and you may end up just making one someday.

2) Those are more commercial, and the orange place caters mostly to consumer. There are a lot of places online and they aren't that expensive: http://www.directdoorhardware.com/push-and-pull-plates.htm is one example.

3) Yes, it will help with sound deadening as well, so consider it an investment in better acoustics in the room.

4) Everyone may have a different opinion on this. Most people use drywall unless there is some reason they are unable to. I Our old home had two layers of drywall suspended by neoprene gaskets on hat channel, but it had the dining room and foyer above it. We just moved and unfortunately no longer have a dedicated theater but a recroom that we wired for surround. It has one layer of drywall and we filled the joist cavity with two layers of roxul. I can't comment on how well it works since I am still getting it hooked up.

karras

Auditioning
Real Name
Damien
Hi Adam,

Thank you so much for the information! That link is exactly what I was looking for!

Great idea for a double layer of Roxul as I'm right below Dining Room and Kitchen, but would I simply put one over the other between joists or would you leave a gap between the two layers? If leaving a gap I'm guessing I would need to install wood or metal separator between them so one does not fall on the other?

PS for the ticket box I tried it all...Google only understands and spews out ticket booths and tried the eBay and all. Really sad, you know there's one in a corner somewhere in an abandon place that someone's about to throw out!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks