What's new

Newbie- attempts the planning of a HT setup!! (1 Viewer)

tim_Neil

Agent
Hello all!

I am trying to set up a home theatre system in my basement and my current setup is.....invisible. I have been reading this site since June and trying to learn as much as I can. Currently I am borrowing a friends shoddy RCA from the late 80's. Here is the system I plan to setup followed by a question...

32" Sony Wega HDTV
JBL S CenterII
JBL S38's X 4 (Front R&L, Back R & L)
Jbl PB12 subwoofer
???????Receiver

I have been trying to work out in my mind which receiver I should go with and am not sure where to start. I have been looking at the Yamaha 5490 because of the technology and individual amps... I will only be running a 5.1 surround system for a while so I don't know if this might be overkill. I like the way this model sounds and all of the different options that it has. Any feedback?
I am willing to spend between 500-650 on the receiver.
(One more thing.... any criticism about the tv or speakers)
What are some equivalent receivers that I should look into?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jeff_Fitz

Stunt Coordinator
You might want to give the new Denon AVR-1803 a look-see. Nice unit with an MSRP of $500. Check out the specs HERE.
IMO the Denon offers most of what the Yammie offers for quite a bit lower MSRP ($499 vs $799). Also, the 5490 has been around for a while and I think has just been replaced by a new unit. At least the RX-V1200 (the 5490's twin?) has been replaced by the RX-V1300.
If you are looking for some ideas on receivers under $700 MSRP and 5.1 speaker systems between $500 and $1000 MSRP, check out the buyer's guides at http://hometheater.valuecanuck.com.
Hope that helps,
Jeff

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'll second the 1803, or maybe the 2802. Might also want to look at the DA2ES on up to the DA5ES from sony on the higher end, or the Pioneer 811S on the lower end. There are alot of good receivers in that price range. The best thing you can do is check them all out, demo them on speakers similar to what you're buying, and pick what you like the best.

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
I'd reccomend the Pioneer 811S or the Denon 1802 myself. A friend of mine has the 1802, and I can honestly say its my favorite

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
I second John comments,

I think the DENON 1802 or 1803 is the best choice, and if you want to save some cash go for Pioneer 811.

The only thing that I might add, is that you have a great set up, S38 are the best bookselfs of the Studio series, I think the almost sound as the 310. But, the PB12 is like a scale less, I think you should match it with the 120 of the studio series, or if you can upgrade to an SVS 25-31 PCi.

Well I hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach.

tim_Neil

Agent
Hey Thanks for all the input! I will definately check out the Denon receivers. Does this denon have designated channel Amplifiers? I'll try looking on the manufacturer's website.
I will also look into Pablo's reccomendation for the subs.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks