What's new

new towers what do i need to start? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Mills

Stunt Coordinator
Highly recommend you do as Dan discussed. Get a kit and build your own crossover. The parts in the kit he mentioned are of excellent quality for the cost.

Another good kit to try out would be the Dayton 2-way from parts express. Again, excellent value.

Tim Morton

Stunt Coordinator
You don't have to spend alot of cash...but you MUST buy from someone who can help you put the parts together...that driver you looked at is a 4 ohm driver that is NOT what you are looking for. Go back and read my post again...you can do it on the cheap, but look for "peerless""vifa", or "seas" drivers, and match them up with vifa or seas tweeters...I am saying that you use these drivers because they are industry standard drivers and IMO that is the best bang for your buck...call mark at Meniscus and let him know what you are trying to do...you have to pony up more than 8 bucks a driver FGS...but you shold be able to find a pair of woofers for 20 bucks per and a pair of tweeters for 14 bucks each...figure 3o more for 2 12db X-overs...and then 20 for the boxes....IMO that is about as low as you shold go with speaker building...anything less and you should be looking at garage sales. Go to madisound.com and look thru there clearance section...find 8ohm drivers and you may be able to save even more...but be careful!!!!! Don't waste for few dollars you have on something that will cause you more trouble down the road...places like madisound build crossovers all day long...and they do it cheap and designed for the woofers i have listed.

Tim Morton

Stunt Coordinator
I am guessing this guy does not have "top-shelf" electronics,nor does he have your experience with building impedance shifting crossovers.. and with a 4 ohm driver he should then to match it with a 4 or 6 ohm tweeter, or one that is MUCH more efficient to play somewhat flat. I don't think his amplier is rated to support a 4-ohm load. IMO its best to stay away from low impedance drivers the first time out of the gate. Now obviously judging by your website you know MUCH more about impedance than i evr will and i'm thinking you might have built some nice speakers using 4 ohm drivers...(great site by the way..i have scoured it top to bottom the past few weeks.) but as a general rull i think its best to stick with 8 0hm in the begining because thats what he will find works best with his amp and with the simple IE cheap crossovers he will be using.

FWIW

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks