What's new

new towers what do i need to start? (1 Viewer)

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
Hi All
first off thank you for any advice you give me. I would like to start working on a pair of mains towerd to be exact but what type of equipment would i need and is there any way i could use my computer to asist me ... i know about building computers but speakers is a whole differant thing and i'd really apretieate any advice you give thanks alot :)
Lyden

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
oh poo no help for the lost ... probably about 4ft tall have dual 6.5" woofers dual 5" midranges and the best silk dome tweeters i can afford maybe i'll put a built in sub that uses and electronic crossover to blend with the rest of the tower hmm is that even possible?? im pretty sure i can find some program for my PC so i can figure out the frq responce and fine tune them to suit ooo they will be harmonic abomanations

A

Anthony_Gomez

The worlds best drivers and XO parts will sound crappy with a crappy XO. an XO is the brains to a speakers and it takes lots of experience and knowledge to get them right. a simple 2-way TM (tweeter/mid-woofer) is the best thing to start out with. since you seem to have never built a speaker XO before, I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend you DO NOT attempt a complicated speaker for the first time (like the MTMWW or TMMWW or WMTMW that you proposed).
If you are really serious about wanting to build a speaker XO on your own, I suggest you do 2 things
1) get the Loud Speaker Design Cookbook from either www.partsexpress.com or www.madisound.com and digest that first.
2) if after reading the book, you are still interested and are comprehending what is going on, then yes, go and get some speaker modeling software. LSDCad is a relatively inexpensive program that should fit your needs nicely
You will also need to purchase a calibrated mic, mic pre-amp, build an impedence jig, and then you will need to buy a few well behaved speakers to practice with (and build enclosures to measure the speaker responces in---speaker responces are very dependent on the box volume, baffle dimensions, and the location of the speakers on the baffle)
Gr-Research.com has the M130 and a dome tweeter which are pretty easy to work with, and are inexpensive (and also sound good in a good designed speaker). If for some reason you cannot get the XO working, there area already designs out there using these drivers, so it won't be a total loss.

Bill Fagal

Stunt Coordinator
Or you could short circuit the complexity :)(and your education :frowning:) by grabbing a pro audio electronic crossover that will let you simply twist knobs and push buttons to tweak XO point, match levels, etc. with all manner of drivers. Timbral matching, voicing, pattern control, etc. will still be up to you, of course. How many amps do you own or are willing to purchase?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
I suggest starting with a kit. That way you'll get tech support, a proven design, and usually a group of people that will share their construction experiences.

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
well for right now i have my Pioneer 810s and anoptehr old reciver thats about 50watts per ch .... i might be getting an onkyo amp that puts out 100x2 ... i wont start building the speakers till summer im just slowly getting all the components i need a head of time. and im quite serious about this ... i have built speakers befor but it was more like getting some wood going off to radio shack and getting cheapo crossover and drivers and tossing it all together ... i thought this time i want it to be done right and since i cant buy those 4k towers i like why not make them ???

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Ok then get started by buying design software, testing software, and a calibrated mic. The good stuff will start about $1000+. After you learn how to use it then decide on the drivers.

Most people's early designs don't work all that well and are poor performers. After a 1/2 dozen attempts you'll be in the ballpark with the $4K designs.

Have fun
Thomas

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
whats the good software? like names and where can i purchase it? think i could get a good mic from a music store they sell instraments and stuff amps and whatnot

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
LspCAD is a nice loudspeaker design pkg. $130

Sorry but musical instrument (PA) mics can't be used for for audio testing, their response isn't flat.

Do you have a copy of "The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook"? If not start by getting it.

Tim Morton

Stunt Coordinator
I think you guys need to get off your high horses and give this guy a BREAK!! He's looking to get itno DIY speakerbuilding and you guys are all running around beating on your chests...I have built many home speakers and many car audio subwoofers...used both passive and electronic crossovers....its NOT as complicated as you are trying to make it sound. YES i will grant you it CAN be all that you guys say...but it can also be very simple and basic to start. So here is my advise...hop on over to http://www.audioc.com/ and poke around a bit...then search google for DIY loudspeaker design. Decide what speaker you are looking to build and how much of it you want to do yourself. Then set out a realistic budget, and find a supplier you can connect with and get started...sound familiar? YUP..its not all that different from building a computer. These guys are somwhat talking to you on the level of you want to build a coputer huh? well you can't build a computer unless you can build the memory chips from scratch and then test out the individual IC cips to work with each other. There is NO reason why you can't do it without having to go to electrical engineering school first.
You did get one good pieve of advise..pick up the latest copy of "the loudspeaker design cookbook" do that before you spend your first dollar. Then make a plan and go for it...and remember..make sure its FUN!!! you won't build a speaker to rival that 4k tower you are drooling over...but you might surprise yourself and come close!!! On the simplest end....you might look at a simple 2-way tower design for your first project.....if you stick with Vifa drivers or Seas drivers and simple crossover design ..you won't break the bank the first time out. One major question will concern the box...are you up for building your own or will you be buying one and finishing it yourself? Both are do-able from a beginner like yourself. Personally i LOVE the box building , but many are available off the shelf from companies like madisound...it's all out there for the enjoyment..don't let these guys scare you away!!!!
Here are a couple links as well..
http://www.zalytron.com/kits.html
http://www.meniscusaudio.com
http://www.madisound.com/
(Admin note - "colorful" descriptions of the online stores have been deleted. Let's try and be a little more respectful to people/stores.)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I would contend that GOOD speaker building is more than just the "building a PC" metaphor being used. Good speaker building is not just cobbling the parts together on a hope and prayer.

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
thank you all :).... i will be building the box myself...(greater sence of acomplishment :)).... i was actualy looking at some drivers from parts express :frowning: they are like $150each or something ..... ahh come on now the parts express site isnt working :frowning:.... computers i think are alot easyer then building a speaker with a PC the worst thing could be that it wont boot but speakers it could turn out to be an acustic horror if its not make the right way my 9year old sony floor standers are a fine example of this. do any of you know where i can get the wood pre cut? i have a jig saw and a drill ony thing i dont think i can cut are the holes for the drivers ..

Jeff Mills

Stunt Coordinator
Link Removed
its freeware for designing speakers and crossovers. Fantastic as soon as you figure out how to use it.

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
I think you guys need to get off your high horses and give this guy a BREAK!!
Let's get one thing straight. What this guy is proposing to do is *HARD*. While some people may be happy with a generic crossover and some drivers shoved into a box, you cannot make a speaker sound good that way.

Lyden needs to decide what he wants to do. If he actually wants to learn to design and build speakers, then he needs to invest the time and money to learn how to do so. The key word here is "invest". You don't just up and do it, you have to take time and be patient. It is not worth the bother if you just want to build one pair of speakers and stop. Like suggested several times above, he needs to buy, read, and understand the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook before he goes any further. He cannot just get some software and piddle around without getting educated first.

If all he wants to do is get some great speakers without the outrageous cost of retail, then he needs to find a kit or design that suits his needs and build it. If he can't find a kit that suits him, he needs to get someone to design the crossover for him (call Madisound, I'm not touching a WMTMW).

Lyden, I wish you all the luck in the world, but if you really want to do this, you need to start slow and take your time.

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
true about the learning thing. im good with a 2 way for now though. i was looking at
and this Woofer Twweter what you think about them??? i hope the links worked right. im still looking for that book... do you know if it wouldnt be availibvle at a local book store?

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
I've never used either one, but the woofer looks a little rough for a first timer. You will need to trap out the resonance at 5kHz, which can be a little tricky.
Suggest you try this: Find a design for which there is already a good crossover. Then try to design your own crossover. Doing this, you will a) be able to compare your work with someone else's to find out how good you're doing, and b) be able to fall back on the original design if you decide to give up. This is how I got started. I suggest this one: http://www.geocities.com/kreskovs/P17D25system.html
It's a very good speaker, and is cheaper than what you have suggested. The designer is also very helpful and will answer questions.
I doubt any local stores will carry the book. Parts Express does: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=15363&DID=7

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
thank you all so much. this newb is learning alot just from the forum lol. somany questions i hope that book will answer them. for the pair of drivers i listed how tall should my towers be? i was hopeing i could do like 40"45" actualt i think 38" would be better.... i'll have some one do the cross overs for me and later on i'll do my own i really dont have the time for that nore the cash :frowning:. i only need a 2 way my room is small and i have a sub that XO's ar 180Hz and covers 30-180 .... shoudl the towers be ported? errgh tomany questions i need answerd

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
since these are my first project should i really spend alot of cash? i saw these woofers what tweeters would be good with those ins a slim line tower? however tall

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks