What's new

International New to Region-Free. PLEASE Recommend Some Other Region Blu-rays! (1 Viewer)

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
More MoC titles--

Sunrise 1927

Diary of a Lost Girl

Red River (includes roadshow version)

The Gospel According to Matthew (best print ever on this transfer)

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I've suffered whiplash reading these two posts. I must say I would be very surprised if the Oppo was region free for DVDs out of the box and that an internal mod wouldn't void the warranty. So, what's the real low-down?

My LG and Panny are the same way -- DVD's from Region 2 play without any adjustments or settings. The Blu-rays require pressing two buttons on the remote to switch to Region B (and I must say that on all of these machines that I have bought, it sometimes takes several tries to change to region, although going back to Region A is automatic.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My LG and Panny are the same way -- DVD's from Region 2 play without any adjustments or settings. The Blu-rays require pressing two buttons on the remote to switch to Region B (and I must say that on all of these machines that I have bought, it sometimes takes several tries to change to region, although going back to Region A is automatic.
My external mod to my oppo worked the first try. I assumed it wouldn't switch back automatically, so I manually set it back to region A.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
But the modded Oppo only needs to have the region set once on each disc. It remembers the region from then on.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yours may work different than mine.

With mine, I can play any DVD from anywhere, no button pushing required.

For Blu-rays, I normally have the player set as Zone A, which is how it came. If I want to watch a Zone B disc, I must enter a series of commands on the remote and the reboot the player. The player then stays in Zone B until I repeat the process. The player does not remember settings for each disc. The player must be switched to the zone the disc is from or it won't play.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Yours may work different than mine.

With mine, I can play any DVD from anywhere, no button pushing required.

For Blu-rays, I normally have the player set as Zone A, which is how it came. If I want to watch a Zone B disc, I must enter a series of commands on the remote and the reboot the player. The player then stays in Zone B until I repeat the process. The player does not remember settings for each disc. The player must be switched to the zone the disc is from or it won't play.

It depends -- there is some sort of limited disc memory in the OPPO for Bluray's , but it is limited and I'm not sure it applies to all models and all mods

"Some may not realize that you only have to switch player region once for each disc on first-time-play, as long as you never press "stop" again when taking the region locked disc out. You can play other region discs and then put the locked region B or C disc in again and it will play. The region-free adapter does not even have to be connected on the back of the Oppo for the disc to play at any region it would be currently set to play.
i.e. Unless the STOP button is pressed when a disc ends the Oppo will retain region code memory for most discs.
Pressing STOP will erase region memory and will require switching regions again with an attached adapter."

"Looks like this requires keeping the Oppo's auto-resume function enabled, which the mod installation instruction recommended disabling.

With that function (re)enabled, it does indeed do what you mentioned... but seemingly only for those discs authored to allow auto-resume to work, ie. maybe only those not using BD-Java, and only if the disc was actually playing something the last time -- it doesn't seem to work if the disc was stopped or last seen in its top menu for instance."

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
With that function (re)enabled, it does indeed do what you mentioned... but seemingly only for those discs authored to allow auto-resume to work, ie. maybe only those not using BD-Java, and only if the disc was actually playing something the last time -- it doesn't seem to work if the disc was stopped or last seen in its top menu for instance."

I guess I never press stop. I always press eject. That saves the region code even if it's in the top menu. From there, it starts the disc up the next time from the opening logos. It doesn't jump back to the menu screen on start up. It's saved hundreds and hundreds of discs without forgetting any. I'm using an internal modded BDP-103D.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member

I guess I never press stop. I always press eject. That saves the region code even if it's in the top menu. From there, it starts the disc up the next time from the opening logos. It doesn't jump back to the menu screen on start up. It's saved hundreds and hundreds of discs without forgetting any. I'm using an internal modded BDP-103D.

I've run into that with my 103 before more by accident. The feature isn't well know and has caused some problems with people listing an item as Region Free when it really isn't -- one of the first reports on the UK Ratatouille 3D disc had this problem which was the first time I had ever heard of the feature.

There was some discussion about whether the 2 most common mods acted differently, but I think it was more of an issue in setup and the way some folks play/stop/eject their discs. Obviously for folks that always hit stop first it's something they might never have noted or for those that regularly clear the persistent memory (for whatever reason). It is a a neat little feature if most of your discs are one region and only a handful are locked to be able to just leave it in a single code after teh first play

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well thanks Mike et al!

I'll be buying the Oppo 203 tomorrow at my local Best Buy. Hopefully it works well with my LG OLED.

What exactly is the dongle I have to get to be region free?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Definitely allowed.

And mine arrived today! :D

full

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not that I know of, Johnny.

There is a link to the HTF Rules Book at the bottom of every HTF page.

This is the main bugaboo:

5. Respect for copyrights. Home Theater Forum has a strict policy of respecting the rights of copyright holders. We do not allow promotion of bootleg material or discussion on how to obtain it, and we immediately delete all links to sites that deal in bootleg material. If you have any doubt whether a source is legitimate, please check with a moderator before posting any links. We also do not allow discussion of (a) how to make unauthorized copies of video or audio materials, (b) how to defeat any form of copy protection (including, for example, how to make "personal" copies of commercially produced DVDs), and/or © how to obtain equipment that can only be used for such purposes. In one form or another, this rule goes back to the very origins of HTF. We are serious about it. Please do not try to debate copyright law with us. We're not interested in discussing what the law should be. Public discussion about copyright law is allowed as long as it doesn't violate any portion of this or any other site rule. We believe it is in the best interest of HTF to enforce this policy strictly, and members test it at their peril.

You might be thinking of us not allowing discussion on using anything to defeat the copyright encoding built into DVDs, Blu-rays, etc.

We also have a rule that says we won't publicize any retailer which is breaking "street date' on a new release...but I cannot remember the last time that was an issue.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Not that I know of, Johnny.

There is a link to the HTF Rules Book at the bottom of every HTF page.

This is the main bugaboo:

You might be thinking of us not allowing discussion on using anything to defeat the copyright encoding built into DVDs, Blu-rays, etc.

We also have a rule that says we won't publicize any retailer which is breaking "street date' on a new release...but I cannot remember the last time that was an issue.
Oh, my, that is going back to the good ol' days of street dates, DVDs, "no insert-no sale" days. :) You're right, copyright is the concern and playing a disc outside of it's region does not violate copyright. The disc is bought and paid for.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
One other great thing about the Oppo players is they allow you to rip SACDs, and they do it totally legally. No added software or hardware involved. You just need a thumb drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks