What's new

Blu-ray Review The Lady from Shanghai Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The Lady from Shanghai Blu-ray Review

Orson Welles may not have directed many (any?) box-office successes, but the man knew his way around a camera always turning out movies that had unmistakable, unforgettable looks to them. The Lady from Shanghai has something of a muddled plot and a handful of weird, eccentric characters, and yet it’s so endlessly fascinating to watch with a matchless set of scenes that don’t look or feel like anything else in the entire oeuvre of film noir that a jumbled narrative (that never hurt the popularity of The Big Sleep either) doesn’t stop it from being a classic.

Studio: Sony

Distributed By: Mill Creek

Video Resolution and Encode: 1080P/AVC

Aspect Ratio: 1.37:1

Audio: English 2.0 DTS-HDMA

Subtitles: English

Rating: Not Rated

Run Time: 1 Hr. 28 Min.

Package Includes: Blu-ray

keep case

Disc Type: BD25 (single layer)

Region: A

Release Date: 03/17/2015

MSRP: $14.98

The Production Rating: 4/5

Romantic Irish sailor Michael O'Hara (Orson Welles) becomes almost instantly smitten with elusive, enigmatic Elsa Bannister (Rita Hayworth), but despite her allure, he knows she’s trouble and tries to resist coming to work for her and her famous barrister husband Arthur Bannister (Everett Sloane). Bannister talks him into joining the crew of his yacht which is sailing from New York to San Francisco via the Caribbean, Panama Canal, and Acapulco, and O’Hara warily accepts the job. Mrs. Bannister doesn’t go to great lengths to hide her attraction to Michael since her husband is crippled and something of a tyrannical bully, and Michael finally succumbs much to the delight of Bannister’s law partner George Grisby (Glenn Anders) who has his own plans for O’Hara. He proposes to the Irishman to help him fake his death so he can claim half of the insurance money on his life, but when Grisby turns up actually dead, O’Hara goes on trial for murder with Bannister his defense counsel.

It’s hard to know exactly how much of Orson Welles’ original script remains in the finished film since, as with other previous projects, it was taken away from him after the fact and recut by the studio. After several viewings, the plot with its shady characters performing crosses and double crosses on one another and rarely being exactly who they pretend to be makes a hazy kind of sense from a mystery angle, but the real glories of the movie aren’t in the plotting or the sometimes abrupt characterizations but in sequences which Welles stages and shoots with unbridled imagination and chutzpah. From the initial meeting between Elsa and Michael (definitely not a meet cute as it’s fairly obviously a set-up to lure him into her clutches) to a lovers’ rendezvous at the aquarium, the three-ring circus of Michael’s trial, a rambunctious free-for-all fight in the judge’s chambers, and the widely celebrated crazy house climactic confrontation between the principals when the murky mystery plot becomes clearer, Welles’ direction has never been more showily impressive. He offers some less showy but equally interesting scenes where Elsa lounges on deck crooning “Please Don’t Kiss Me” (vocal by Anita Ellis) and later a picnic scene where the film’s theme (a story being told about sharks having a feeding frenzy) is stated symbolically. But whether through Welles’ inadequate scripting or later studio intervention, the film is unnecessarily sloppy on occasion with an extended sequence at a Chinese theater performance unnecessary and a massive overuse of close-ups not just of the stars but of the extras as well, sometimes cut in willy-nilly and producing a jarring effect on the viewer.

For his role, Welles has affected a very precious Irish brogue that seems pushed a bit too much (Welles in character also serves as the film’s narrator), and he might have displayed a bit more sexual tension in his interactions with (his real-life wife though they were estranged at this point) Rita Hayworth knowing that her rich, powerful husband could bring him down easily. Hayworth herself falls victim to the spotty writing as she’s so alternately hot and cold toward Michael that one is never sure where her feelings lie (which doesn’t work well for the mystery in retrospect once we are filled in at the climax). Nevertheless, she looks smashing as a blonde, and she plays strongly what’s in the script. Everett Sloane gives a dynamic, outrageously over-the-top performance as the crafty Bannister, and Glenn Anders is eccentricity personified as the semi-maniacal George Grisby (you’ll never forget the expression “target practice” after you hear him say it a few times). One would have liked more scenes with Ted de Corsia as the mysterious Sidney Broome in order to get a better handle on his involvement in the plot.

Video Rating: 5/5  3D Rating: NA

Taken from a 4K restoration and remastered for Blu-ray in 1080p using the AVC codec, the 1.37:1 transfer is a true thing of beauty. Not a scratch, spot, or speck of dust remains, and yet the film doesn’t look overly processed at all retaining amazing sharpness and a grayscale so rich with deep blacks and crisp whites that it’s a pleasure to watch just for the sheer beauty of the photography by Charles Lawton Jr. Shadow detail is very fine, and contrast has been applied consistently and well. Not having the previous TCM releases of this film on Blu-ray, I could do no A/B comparisons, but this edition is reference quality all the way.

Audio Rating: 4.5/5

The DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 mono sound mix offers the sound design of its era presented without any aural artifacts. Quite a bit of the dialogue was obviously looped, so there is that arid quality that comes with extensive looping of entire scenes, but the dialogue is certainly clearly presented and has been mixed with surety with the sound effects and with Heinz Roemheld’s background music.

Special Features Rating: 0/5

Unlike the DVD which offered an audio commentary and featurette presided over by Peter Bogdanovich, this release has no bonus material.

Overall Rating: 4/5

If it’s just the movie you want, this Mill Creek Blu-ray release of The Lady from Shanghai offers sterling picture and sound quality for a very small price. The film is difficult and sometimes perplexing, but Orson Welles’ masterful directorial touches make it worth the effort. Recommended!

Reviewed By: Matt Hough

Support HTF when you buy this title:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm delighted and slightly relieved to hear that the picture quality is so good. I can't wait for my disc to arrive!

Many thanks for the review.

Hollywodland

Agent
Real Name
Al
I am very glad that I was smart enough not to buy TCM BD... Now I have much better one... Great film, most of all great performances...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
"He offers some less showy but equally interesting scenes where Elsa lounges on deck crooning “Please Don’t Kiss Me” (vocal by Anita Ellis) and later a picnic scene where the film’s theme (a story being told about sharks having a feeding frenzy) is stated symbolically. But whether through Welles’ inadequate scripting or later studio intervention, the film is unnecessarily sloppy on occasion with an extended sequence at a Chinese theater performance unnecessary and a massive overuse of close-ups not just of the stars but of the extras as well, sometimes cut in willy-nilly and producing a jarring effect on the viewer."

Reading around the internets these are exactly what the "studio" did to the film.

Probably all of that was Not created by Welles.

Anyway I just watched an airing I recorded off of TCM from a few weeks ago.

The movie is relatively ordinary except for the knowledge that Welles directed it and that makes it interesting.
What makes it better than ordinary is the amazing last act.
That section in the fun house and the hall of mirrors is crazy and amazing.

When Bannister shows up and bends and leans and well I don't know how to describe what he does.

He moves in a way I've only seen in Bugs Bunny cartoons and it is

something I'll think of as one of the most memorable scenes I've ever seen in a movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks