What's new

New sub project (1 Viewer)

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
I was hoping you guys could help me locate a decemt 15" woofer for a subwoofer project. The kicker is that I don't want to have to buy a 1,000 watt amp to power it. Can you get good performance from a Tempest or a PE DVC 15" with a 250 watt plate amp?

I currently have a PE DVC 12" in a 3.1 ft^3 box with an Adire PR 15X weighted to 600 grams. It sounds good, but I just have to have more. BTW, the DVC 12" is just powered by a 150 watt plate amp and it pounds.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Greg,

I just finished a 175L DVC 15" sub tuned to 17.5Hz. It's stuffed with 64oz. of polyfil and is powered by the PE 250W plate amp. I was getting nice 111dB peaks while watching "The Haunting".

Will that do?

Brian

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
Brian,

That sounds pretty good. What is the diameter and length of the port? I forgot to mention that I have a BFD to help with any lumpiness in the frequency response. I haven't tried the haunting yet. So far, the only thing that has bottomed out my current sub is the globe exploding on the DD intro.

Have you bottomed the DVC 15" on anything?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
It's the 4" dual flared port that PE sells. I don't remember the total length, just that you cut the center piece to 8" long.
No, I haven't bottomed the sub. The THX intro didn't have as much output as the "Coming Mother!" scene from "The Haunting". I'm assuming that's because the globe exploding is a quite a bit lower frequency than those from "The Haunting".
I'll be trying out the TS2 intro on Saturday before we deliver the sub as our last stress test. Maybe I should break out the "Jurassic Lunch" track as well! :)
Brian

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
Greg,

I recently finished a dual Tempest sonosub and am pushing 250watts to each driver. I hit 125+ dB and it sounds GREAT! The Tempest is a pretty efficient driver, especially in a large enclosure....Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks