What's new

New Sony 32HS500, fuzzy picture! (1 Viewer)

KwongC

Agent
hi,

I just picked up a Sony 32HS500 from Good Guys yesterday. This is my first HD ready tv set. The first thing I did was plug my analog cable from the wall into the set to try it out. Well, I almost immediately noticed lots of "fuzziness" For instance, around text and outlines of objects on the screen. It just looked a little blurry. I didn't know what this was, and thought maybe there is something I have to set up, calibrate, or adjust first. I played around with the settings but it didn't change anything. THen I thought, maybe the TV just needs to get warmed up first. Again, not the case. Finally, I plugged in my progressive scan DVD player and the picture was, as expected, very sharp and brilliant. I later read in other Home Theater discussin forums that HD ready or HD sets are not good with analog cable signals (on my other non-HD tv, the analog cable looks fine).

So am I correct to assume that the fuzziness/blurriness is a result of the analog cable on not the set itself?
I also read that this problem can be greatly reduced or eliminated by using cable signal filters, such as those found on high end surge protector outlet strips (like the ones that Monster makes). Is this the case? Anyone have experience with this?
Finally, if I had digital cable, would that eliminate the problem as well?

Thanks! oh, for reference I get AT&T cable and live in the San Francisco Bay Area in California

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
If you are receiving a weak signal, the cable company may be able to boost your strength. In general, analog cable does not look great on a HDTV that doubles resolution. For each speck of fuzz ona standard TV, you now get two specks of fuzz. Did you also go up in screen size? If you had a smaller TV before, the small screen can effectively hide poor resolution. Luckily, my cable doesn't look bad and the digital cable channels look nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks