What's new

New shielded project posted: Model 3 "Cameo" (1 Viewer)

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
I've posted a new design I've been working on for a few months off-and-on. This one is a fully shielded design intended for home theater use - i.e., with a subwoofer. It uses the Seas P17RE/TV and 27TDFC/TV drivers in a sealed box. The ~80Hz F3 and second-order roll-off should blend well with a subwoofer using the crossover on most receivers and pre-pro's.

Check my link below.

JoelTW

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I like those designs... which one is easiest to build?

I am interested in building some small speakers for my room... wondering if you know how they compare to Klipsch Promedia 5.1 satellites which use 3" drivers and .75" tweeters :)

im a newbie to diy.

:b

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
They are all about the same difficulty to build, although the Model 1 has a very complex crossover, and is easier to screw up. This is the only one that's shielded that I would recommend. The Mini 2-Way is cheaper, and OK for the money, but the Model 2 and Model 3 are worth the difference in price.

If you are just looking to get into DIY and want to keep the cost down, You should think about the low-cost Vifa design from Selah Audio (www.selahaudio.com send Rick an e-mail, I think it's called the RC2) that has gotten rave reviews.

For easy-to-build, Dennis Murphy (www.murphyblaster.com) has the Plop-in-the-Box, which uses an off-the-shelf box and surface-mounted drivers. If you're careful, you should be able to cut the driver holes with a jigsaw.

If you can spend a little more, try my Model 2, which I use personally in one of my systems. (Of course the Model 1 is my main speaker.)

The Model 3 costs the same as the Model 2, but I think you give up just a little bit of sound quality to gain the shielding. The Model 2 uses a newer woofer which has a more advanced motor. The Model 2 is also smaller.

I've never heard the Klipsch, and I don't mean to sound egotistical, but I imagine all of my designs would be better to some degree or another. There's only so much any manufacturer can do at that price point.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
The Klipsch Promedia 2.1s and 5.1s sound bright and harsh compared to just about every DIY model I've auditioned.

They do sound somewhat revealing, detailed and are better for close-ranged listening like on a PC, but I believe it is highly likely you'll love the Vifa design over the Klipsch.

IMO, the Klipsch Promedia series can't be played loud without it sounding shouty and fatiguing.

JoelTW

Stunt Coordinator
I tend to agree... the Klipsch seem to be harsh on those high notes :thumbsdown:

I'd like to build something...but I don't have a receiver :)

JoelTW

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Dan,

Both the RC2 and your model 2 (and 3) look interesting... However, I'm not experienced in building crossovers so I am wondering how much harder yours would be to build

I would prefer shielded since I might use them next to my computer monitor.

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
Joel, send me an e-mail. I have some thoughts on this that aren't ready to go prime time.

I don't know what Rick includes with his kits, but if he includes fully assembled crossovers, his would be easier. You can see the picture of the Model 2 crossover on my site. It's as easy as using zip-ties to tie the components to the board, twisting the wires together, and then soldering. If you can't solder, you can just cover the bare wires with electrical tape. I do that and haven't had a failure yet. I HATE soldering.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks