What's new

New RPTVs delivered without box... should I be concerned? (1 Viewer)

J

John Morris

I am negotiating with several companies on 2 different RPTVs and one of the stores(a local Tweeters)has given me a price on a new 57HX81 that has me seriously considering buying from a local B&M instead of going online. They also will deliver to me inside my house for only $40. Here's the rub: I was told that they unbox/uncrate the TVs at the warehouse and load them onto the trucks for delivery sans boxes. Since I absolutely do not want a demo unit or customer return, how can I be absolutely sure that I will be getting a minty fresh unit??? Is there anything like a front projector hour meter that I can access via the user or service menus that will tell me how much the CRTs were used on the unit?
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
John,
How close are you to the local Tweeters? I was wondering if you made a arraingment with the store to meet them before they load up. You could then watch them uncrate it and take along a black marker to mark the back of the set to make sure you get the one they unbox for you. Would this be possible?
Good luck...
Jim
------------------

J

John Morris

Jim,
Actually, I offered to pick the set up at the warehouse since I own a truck, but they said they don't allow pickups at the warehouse and that if I picked it up at the store, it wouldn't have a box either. Although their story sounds fishy, I doubt that the set could be a demo since I would be getting one of the first 57HX81s that Tweeter would receive. Still, I want the dang box!
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------

Brian_J

Second Unit
Tell them to give you the box then. If they refuse that then there is something strange...
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...
[Edited last by Brian_J on August 12, 2001 at 10:48 AM]

Jason Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree with Brian_J. When I bought my 56H80,I told Conn's that it had to be delivered in the box. They could un-box it here but I wanted to see it sealed as I had negotiated what was a very good price for these sets at the time. I wanted to make sure it was new. They said they would not deliver any other way than boxed.
Jason

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
John,
I can see the advantage to the store in not having to haul an empty box back to the store, but it does present you with a dilemma as far as not being 100% sure you're getting a "virgin".
I've had 2 rptvs and a 35" direct view delivered over the years, from sears and GG, all "in the box." They were all unboxed in my condo complex's parking lot before being carted into my house.
Both rptv boxes openned by separating the upper portion from the base of the box. Perhaps they might be persuaded to only remove the upper portion of the box during loading, leaving the box base to prevent the set from rolling around on it's casters? The presence of the base, as well as the sealed owner's manual and remote plastic bags might reassure you.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Pete B.

Stunt Coordinator
>Why not make Sears price match Tweeter & have them deliver >it in the box?
Don't believe Sears is selling the 57H81 so this would be tough to do.
Pete

J

John Morris

Thank you all very much for your suggestions. First, they told me that they unbox the sets so that they can make more deliveries per truck. If I wanted the box, I could pay an additional $40 to have it delivered too, but seperately from my RPTV. Next, I would have loved to buy this from Sears as they would have matched the online pricing AND given me no payments, no interest for one year on my Sears card, but it seems that they are downsizing their TV departments to sets under 50 inches or so in size. Finally, I shopped my local Conns too but they were unwilling to even come close to the price I got from Tweeters or online. They also seemed to not know about any of the new Toshiba sets. I assumed from their reaction that they were not gonna carry the new Toshi Sets???
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
[Edited last by John Morris on August 12, 2001 at 07:27 PM]

Brian Mello

Stunt Coordinator
If I wanted the box, I could pay an additional $40 to have it delivered too, but seperately from my RPTV.
Now that is someone I wouldn't do business with. Sears told me I had to keep the box if I decided to return it in my 30 day window. I watched them unbox it on my front porch. I guess if Tweeter wants to lose a sale over a damn box more power to them!
rolleyes.gif

bently

Grip
i bought my 36xbr450 with tweeter in illinois and my t.v.
came sealed in the box...and told me to keep the box for 30 days just in case i wanted to return or exchange my tv!
so this smells fishy to me.....
i would make phone calls to the corporate office and just
have them explain to you there shipping policy!
good luck!
bently

J

John Morris

bently: I am dealing with this Tweeters store for the first time. It is a new store, and probably uses new, inexperienced salepeople also. It was for this reason that I went there negotiating for a low price, and I got one. Based on what you've said, I think I'm gonna call my old pals at the 1960 Tweeters store and see what they say...
Additionally, I've since heard that the estimated delivery date given to me by the Tweeter folks is wrong. Tweeter told me that the 57HX81 will be in stock at the end of the month. Others, like Jason at Onecall, have said that they won't be around till end of September or October. Does anyone know when this model will REALLY be available?
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------

Howard_A

Stunt Coordinator
So the issue is money. They can make more deliveries per truck if the unit is unboxed. Offer to pay double the delivery fee to reimburse them for the larger load. I would also make them haul away the box as part of the deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks