What's new

New Toshiba RPTVs: "H" versus "HX" series? (1 Viewer)

J

John Morris

Based on prior Toshiba RPTVs, good initial reviews and Phil's pics of his new 50H81, I am ready to buy a new 57XX81 set when it is available. Now, my only decision is to decide which one to get.
57H81 versus 57HX81:
What are the Video differences, and how do those differences impact real life video performance on cable SDTV, HDTV and DVD playback?
What is the cost difference between these two sets?
When will each set become available?
Finally, who is gonna have these sets and who will have the lowest prices on these sets for delivery to Texas?
Thanks for any and all help you can offer!!!
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

JohnHN

Stunt Coordinator
There are a number of posts both here and at home theater spot comparing the h81 with the hx81. Do searches on both. The most helpful thing I've found is from Canada
http://www.toshiba.ca/ceg/html/Flip%20Chart%202001.pdf
And here is a page with Toshiba owners manuals
Link Removed
Bottom line: the hx81 will have different (better?) crts and lenses, a different lenticular (better?), and its protective screen will have an antireflective coating (glare has been reported to be a problem with the h81).
I don't know of anyone who has actually seen an hx81. I was told here in St. Louis that they would not be available until mid-September at the earliest.
Finally, note that the hx81 is part of Toshiba's cinema series and will not be sold in as many places as the h81.

J

John Morris

Thanks John!
I would guess that the HX is gonna be at least $500 more than the H series based on past history and the expanded feature/component lists. Mid september may be about right for my earliest purchase though... guess I just need some more patience.
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

Michael Ipp

Stunt Coordinator
I am not normaly a gambling man, but from what i have seen/heard i'm gonna gamble that the HX is better. Right now I have NO TV but i'm gonna try and wait it out till the HX comes out.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Strangely (for those looking at the 4:3s) the 50HX is no longer available. To get the better (?) optics etc. compared to the 50H you need to go to the 53HX (at least if I read correctly). An unusual design decision.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Users who are viewing this thread