What's new

Toshiba RPTV Choices: Which from Who? (1 Viewer)

J

John Morris

Which one of these equally priced choices ($2800) would you go with?
1. 65H81 from Continental Trading
2. 57HX81 from Hampton Image
3. 57H81 from a local trustworthy B&M shop
OR save alot of money, go cheap and plan to upgrade my RPTV again when the firewire issue is resolved, with a
4. 56H80 from my local Best Buy - set is a demo unit with a small tear in the front speaker grill. Manufacture date is Sept 2000. Picture looks great with no burn or other easily noticable image problem. ($1750 which includes 3 yr extended warranty)
And I though this would be easy???? Thanks for your help!
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

Jason Watson

Stunt Coordinator
John,
I love my 56h80 and I think for 1750.00 with a three year warranty,going the cheap route for a while is a good bet. Who knows how the copy protection garbage will end up and you would have a stellar set, at an insanely low price, to watch while things shake out.
Jason

Stefan A

Second Unit
John,
I have heard that it is not a good idea to get a demo unit. The contrast may have been set too high and some permanent damage could have occured. On the other hand, the price is good and the set is highly regarded.
If it were me, I would get the 57hx81. The hx series is supposed to be better than H series. Unless you had to have the big screen, go for that.
With that said, I am very happy with my new 50h81 that just came today. And, like everybody says the screen looks a lot bigger in my house than in the showroom. I actually looked on the back after the delivery guys left to make sure it was the 50 and not the 57.
Stefan Antwarg

Pete B.

Stunt Coordinator
Tough choice! Personally I would get the demo and buy an STB to go with it. Great price for a great set!

J

John Morris

Pete: Why should I get an STB? I am 55 miles from the nearest towers and live in the middle of the woods with 40-60 foot trees all around me. Satellite and HD cable are both options but both include STBs. Other than OTA HD, what would I use a STB for? Thanks!
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
I would personally stay far away from a demo unit, especially from Best Buy... Who knows how they have treated that baby...
There shouldn't be any "copy protection" issues with the H(X)81 series that the H80 series didn't have... All the H(X)81 series has to boast is that they are lighter and have more features.
That said... I would go either option 2 or 3. I would always prefer to purchase a large item like a TV locally, but if you can get the HX81 for the same price as an H81 locally...that is awfully difficult to turn down. On the other hand... Do you have a Sears nearby? They will pricematch online prices... Of course, I don't know if Sears will be carrying the HX81 series.
As a side note, I have the new 50H81, and am absolutely in love with it. The only potential problem is the glare from the screen. If that bothers me enough, perhaps I will order the 50HX81 protective screen froim Toshiba in the future.
Good luck!
P.S. My opinion - Stay away from Best Buy for all large purchases if at all possible. They do not undersatand the meaning of "customer service".
------------------
View Dr. Grall's DVD collection

Brett G

Stunt Coordinator
Don't buy the demo unit!!! Even if it has no detectable burn-in, it most likely has sat in torch mode for a while, so you are buying a used unit. Don't spend $2000 on an item that has been out for anyone to do whatever they want to it. Remember, burn-in is not covered under warranty.
That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend purchasing from an internet vendor if you definitely know which model you want. If you are sure on the model, then purchasing through the internet will be the same as through a local store: once it is delivered, you will have to go through Toshiba for repairs anyway.
The advantages of going through a local B&M, is that some will let you return the set if you don't like it. Also, if you're unsuccessful at getting the manufacturer to fix a problem, they can sometimes help.
Obviously it's all a matter of comfort. Do you want to pay that extra cash (or in your case, get the smaller set) for the ability to take it back? If so, then do it. I will say, as someone who purchased his 65H80 from an internet vendor, that I have been completely satisfied and never would have been able to do it through a B&M.
Good luck, and keep us posted!
-Brett
------------------
Link Removed
My DVD's

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks