What's new

Sony VPH-1272Q - is this unit a good one to buy used? (1 Viewer)

J

John Morris

I can get one of these from a wealthy neighbor who is upgrading to a 9" CRT model. The image from this unit looks perfect and I can see no burn or other problems. According to the readout, total CRT usage is only 1450 hours. If he is not able to trade this in for a decent price on his new unit, he is willing to sell it to me for $2000 even.
Should I buy this unit, or opt for a new LT150?
My top end is probably around $2500 for a new projector.
Thanks for your help!
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

Sean M

Stunt Coordinator
This is a great projector to buy used, and will most certainly provide a better picture than ANY digital projector you could get in that price range. If the projector is in really great shape (and you may want to check it thoroughly) then the price is a steal. I own a 1271 and I really like it a lot (the 1272 has a higher scan rate). You are probably aware from viewing your neighbor's setup that these projectors are much larger, heavier and more difficult to set up initially than a digital projector. If you have complete light control, though, there is no question as to which one provides a better picture. If he is using a 16:9 screen and you plan to use 4:3 you may wish to check for tube wear in the 16:9 format. The white start-up screen on a white wall or looking directly at the tube face with the lenses removed will tell you all you need to know. Good luck.
------------------
"Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
I'd qualify the level of the Sony 127X series with a little less enthusiasm than Sean. It's a good solid projector but currently $2000 may be a bit high. *If* the CRTs are in perfect shape it's a decent buy. The reason that I qualify my endorsement is that the Sony projectors tend to put out a soft image and aren't as sharp as those from other manufacturers. Despite its' high scan rate the Sony 7" CRTs tend to max out at about 600p. A comparable NEC (for example) can easily resolve 660 to 680p if setup correctly. Shine a flashlight into the lens assembly to check out the condition of the CRTs. If there is absolutely no burn then I'd consider it a good deal. Not great, but good. Good luck.

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
1450 hours WITHOUT BURNS OR WEAR for $2000 and NO shipping or tax (neighbour's PJ) for a 1272Q (CAN do a fantastic [email protected] for excellent DVD playback for 16:9 screen widths less than 80") seems to me a VERY GOOD deal.
Good Luck... the image will BLOW you away.. no digital projector for less than $10,000 can even come close.
------------------
The things we own end up owning us

Sean M

Stunt Coordinator
To give you an example of prices for used 1272 projectors, without going through the scary process of buying one off of ebay, www.projectorspecs.com has five 1272's listed with differing hours on the tubes ranging in price from $4000 (new tubes) to $2500 (3306 hrs. on the tubes). 2k is still a great price for that projector IF it's in great shape. You can buy from other sources for less, but it's more of a crap shoot and you probably won't be able to inspect the projector personally before hand.
What Bill says is true, but NEC's, though capable of a sharper picture, are also much harder to set up.
------------------
"Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks