New Queen remasters?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim L, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

I was on a few different sites and noticed that new queen remastered issues of there entire catalog were done in Japan recently ( I think they are just coming out in the states) CDNOW has some up for pre-order. Does anybody have any expreience or further knowledge about these re-issues? Are they worth buying over the Hollywood record versions?

thanks

Tim

2. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

I believe these mini-lp reissues are 24bit remasters. There was a previous mini-lp issue about two years ago, so be careful that you're getting the new ones.
    Here is a link to an online source that may give you a better price....
    http://redtrumpet.com/software/artis...sid=1404449472
    Besides the mini-lps and the Hollywood label remaster/reissues, there are a couple of DCC and MFSL issues too, as well as vinyl.
    Here's a link to the search results of a dynamite music discussion forum hosted by DCC and producer Steve Hoffman.
    http://cgi.dhot.com/cgi-bin/ubb_foru...ultimatebb.cgi
    Enjoy !

3. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I bought 2 of the new 24 bit Queen remasters (Night At The Opera and Day At The Races) from HMV.jp an they do sound better than the Hollywood versions. Cleaner with less distortion.

I would buy them if your a big Queen fan. Keep the Hollywoods if your a casual Queen fan.

The new Japanese remasters do not have bonus tracks. But are housed in a jewel case not mimi-lp style.

JohnG

4. Jean Weitzmann

Jean Weitzmann Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if you are aware of this, but "A Night at the Opera" has been remixed and remastered in 5.1 at 24bit/96kHz and will be released as a DTS DVD-Audio disc in April 2002 (both MLP DVD-Audio and DTS 24/96 DVD-Video on the same disc).

This 5.1 version has been produced by Roy Thomas Baker who produced the original album and mixed by Elliot Scheiner (from the original multi-track tapes).

I am one of the few lucky ones to have an advanced copy of this DVD, and let me tell you that Bohemian Rapsody or Prophet Song take a all new dimension in 5.1.

I believe that David Tolsky is going to write a full review for the forum soon.

JW

5. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

Yep, I have my pre-order in at CDNow.com

JohnG

6. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

Yes I also have the dvd audio of night at the opera on preorder- I'll have to check out some of the new remasters though- I appreciate the feedback- the new remasters are a little pricey though.

Tim