What's new

New Nathan Fillion Series - Castle - Mystery Writer Turned Sleuth Coming To ABC! (1 Viewer)

troy evans

Screenwriter
He is one of the better actors working right now. Show looks interesting. Honestly, it probably wont last,but, I'll check it out just because He's in it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This show finally gets underway tonight at 10 p.m. EDT on ABC after Dancing with the Stars (so hopefully, it'll retain enough viewership to stay on the schedule).

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I'm all over this show.

I was reading an article and they were saying that it's going to be the opposite of Moonlightling. The article said that when they got together in Moonlightling, the show was over. So they said they are going to keep these characters apart as much as possible and that they have many situations in order to keep them fully apart.

I do hope this show makes it, but I have my doubts.
It seems that its being heavily advertised, and I'm not sure thats a good or bad thing.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
One problem...Its up against CSI:Miami. Which might take a lot of the same demographic.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I don't understand why the romantic tension works for the audience. It's a trend that sticks around, but you used to have the reverse that was a success.

Give me a "Hart to Hart" remake
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Sure, there isn't Robert Wagner / Stafanie Powers hanging around, but this could be cast and done well.

(For those that forget, full episodes: http://www.hulu.com/watch/7875/hart-...ue-chip-murder )

Joe_H

Screenwriter

Personally, I think it's a bad thing, the commercials have made me less interested in it than I'd have previously been.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens

It just seems to cry out desperation, "Please watch this show!"

I'm actually more scared off by their other heavily advertised shows
Better of Ted and The Unusuals

I can't stand when that hot dog guy is in the jail and the female detective replies with
"Who yeah gonna call the Hamburgler?"

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I've had zero interesting in watching the show, even though I'm quite familiar with Nathan Fillion (even when he was a soap opera actor). I'm reading the thread to see what others eventually think about it.

As for the advertising, I don't think I've ever seen so much advertising for a show.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It seemed like a more adult, less zany version of "Psych" to me. I did like that the female detective wasn't as much of a tight-ass as the promos made her seem. I'm not sure the mother or daughter characters quite work; after watching "Dharma & Greg" for so many years, Susan Sullivan's performance as Kitty shines through a little too much here—and the smart, precocious daughter is too cute by half.

Still, I'll be back next week.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I just started watching my recording of this and remembered... the lead actress in this, looks nearly identical to the one in SVU. I really thought it was going to be the same person, they could be sisters.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Too bad I've seen the promos far too many times, totally gave away the resolution, but a decent pilot episode.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I tuned in because of those commercials. And because of Nathan Fillion.

I liked what I saw. There were some good touches -- the daughter who is more sensible than her father was well played, and the scene where he slides her across the smooth wood floor was very homey in a good way. The way that the author kept his lesser works down underneath instead of up on display on his shelf was an authentic touch.

And that Fillion's character seemingly did not care about the victims is fine, in that he will evolve into a more compassionate man over the course of the series thanks to being exposed to real people's tragedies.

I did not mind that his love interest appears to be a lesbian. She's a good character and she's played by a good actress, so I'll just accept that her character in this fantasy tv world is supposedly heterosexual. And yes, obviously the person who was killed, which led to her becoming a cop, was her former husband. That was telegraphed loud and clear.

Both of those elements -- her grief over the lost husband, and her unstated lesbianism -- will keep Fillion's character at bay as far as actual snoggy romance is concerned. They can become good friends. And go shopping together. Seriously. They'll make a good platonic couple who love each other.

Good casting all the way 'round.

I would not mind if the stories aim for some more complexity than seen in the pilot episode.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Where are you getting the lesbian angle from? She's a tough woman, but she definitely seemed to be enjoying his advances through the episode. I know Katic has played lesbians before, and might even be a lesbian in the real world. I fail to see how any of that has a bearing on this show, unless were shown something that points us in that direction.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
This was a great pilot that felt so comfortable to watch. It didn't feel like a pilot even though it played out like one. That probably doesn't make sense. I'm okay with that.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Joe_H

Screenwriter

I agree, two very simple things that made it feel much more real. (Especially the first part about with the daughter).

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Luckily for me, I've only heard one promo of the show on the radio (of all places).

I thought the first episode was enjoyable, and will stick with it for now! Probably won't last, as it seems like no show will survive, going opposite of CSI: Miami.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks