What's new

New Nathan Fillion Series - Castle - Mystery Writer Turned Sleuth Coming To ABC! (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I fell asleep 1/3 of the way in, woke up and saw the last 15 minutes. I blame the time change. It had some promise.

But I was so surprised to see Susan Sullivan in it. Wow, she's aged!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I was interested for months, but it took some effort for me to hit play on my recording when the time came. I'm glad I did, because it was a fast, enjoyable hour of tele. I'll come back for more.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I liked it. Fun, good chemistry, I hope Patterson and Cannel are recurring characters. I'll be back next week.

Add me to the list of people who have no idea where this came from. Were we watching the same show?

Regards,

Joe

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Well I can't be the only one whose gaydar goes off when I see her, because she's been cast as a lesbian in other works -- so casting directors must agree she puts out that vibe. The actress claims that in real life she's straight, for what that's worth.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't have a gaydar--as far as I know, Liberace loved the ladies--but I really don't get it from Stana. I see a really pretty lady with short hair. I don't like the word "claim," because it leaves it open that she may be lying. If someone says they are 100% heterosexual (as she did) or 100% homosexual, I'll take them at the word. Even if it were not the case, it doesn't seem to matter. I think that Penn dude just won an Oscar for playing a gay guy, and no one seemed to have a problem with it.

That's as far as I want to delve into the topic, other than to say if she wants to make out with one of Castle's groupies, I won't turn off the TV. ;)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Right. It couldn't possibly be that casting directors are lazy, so when they're asked to cast a lesbian the first person they think of is the last person they saw play a lesbian. (Because if that sort of thing went on, there might be a tendency to constantly cast actors in similar roles, giving rise to something called "type-casting" - and we all know that doesn't happen in real life. ;)) And it couldn't be that she's been cast in more than one gay simply because she was willing to do it the first time she was asked, and not every actor is.

In any event, I don't usually project an actor's past work onto his or her current role, and there was simply nothing in the pilot that remotely suggested that the detective was gay. No little hints, no meaningful looks, no odd interactions with any of the male characters - nada, zip nothing. I say, "Gaydar, schmaydar." :D

Regards,

Joe

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I thoroughly enjoyed it! It shows promise as long as they keep it fresh. Let's hope ABC doesn't muck it up. ;)

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Louis C

Supporting Actor
It was ok for a pilot - here's hoping it can be more than just another police procedural. Nathan Fillion is always interesting, but we'll have to wait to see if the writing will approach that of Firefly. I'll check out a couple more eps to see what develops. They have pretty good chemistry.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale

Is Joss Whedon involved? Then I doubt we'll see anything close to Fireflyesque writing.
That said, Fillion is Fillion and he was a big part of Mal's charm.

Like the majority here, I saw nothing in the pilot that would even remotely indicate that Beckett was/is a lesbian.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I'd like to see Fillion get some success. This show could be all him...I just think it's important that they don't play it safe. Go for broke a la "Moonlighting" and really have fun with this premise and I can see Fillion carry it. Stick to the "Law & Order" with a twist and some humor and it will fade into the background.

Louis C

Supporting Actor

Whedon is not needed, but the writing needs to match the talent, or it will be a goner. I am pretty forgiving of pilots - this was one of the better ones I've seen. We'll see how the weekly grind of writing helps/hurts the show going forward.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm wondering if Writing even matters anymore Life is one of the Better police proceeduals around that's in danger of getting the Axe...

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
The first episode of "Castle" wasn't great as a police procedural, in fact the case was downright lame and obvious, but I liked the two leads. Nathan Fillion is here doing what he does best, being charming and childish (but somehow capable), and he carries the show; Stana Katic not only balances out his character, but is (IMO) super-easy on the eyes. :D

I'll watch for the leads, but hope the cases get better - if it isn't cancelled first. Dave's right; writing is often only a part of a show's success, but if all the other elements fall into place (target audience, timeslot, filling a specific unpredictable advertising void) good plots certainly don't hurt. I think that's what happened with the surprise hit "The Mentalist" on CBS - the writing is middling-to-decent, but the cases themselves are sort of gleefully ridiculous, and therefore the show found a huge audience.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I liked the pilot for what it was.
Nathan Fillion was great.
and thought his character had enough charm and chemistry with Stana Katic.

I'm hoping that the show can survive, at least for Nathan's sake.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I finally found time to watch the pilot. I thought it was fun. The main plot in the pilot didn't need to be all that involved as the main point was introducing the characters and the concept. Nathan Fillion was lots of fun and I'm looking forward to seeing it more. Tonight I might even get a chance to watch it live.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I like Nathan Fillion a lot and it was quite enjoyable.

Who was the woman at the poker game? Patterson and Canell had dialogue and it was shot in such a way that it felt like they didn't want to reveal the fourth person right away. . .but when they showed her. . .I didn't know who that was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks