What's new

New motorcycle! (1 Viewer)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Well, I HAD a 2000 Nighthawk 750 and a 2000 Valkyrie in my garage. I was thinking of trading in the Nighthawk for a Suzuki DL1000 VStrom and putting the Valkyrie up for sale.
Before I walked out the front door, my wife says to me, "Why don't you just get the new Goldwing?" "Are you serious?" "Yes." "Done!"
I traded the Valk and the Nighthawk for a 2003 Honda Goldwing ABS in Candy Red.
Aluminum Frame, 1832cc Fuel Injected Six Cylinder, ABS, Cruise Control, Radio, Keyless entry for the trunk, etc.. :D
Here is a pic from the Honda site. Mine is the same color.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Congrats!
They're not my style of bike, but they sure are nice. I'd hate to lay one over, though. During college, I worked at a motorcycle dealership. When we closed, I had to roll the bikes in from the outside entry way. Every other bike we pushed, the Goldwings we rode in. They even have reverse!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, they've had a reverse gear ever since the 1988 1520cc model was introduced.

I remember in early 1975 when dealers were receiving pre-production, non-running mockups of the original GL1000 GoldWing to whet consumers' appetites, and even then we were referring to them as "two-wheeled cars." And throughout its long life, the GoldWing continues to possess the most automotive-like mill in all of motorcycling.

Thing is, according to the road tests, this new 1800cc beaut' can handle remarkably well for something so big and heavy.

I bet you're happy. Congrats!

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Congrats!
I think it is a great looking ride! I am hoping to get into the cycle scene this up coming spring. I want to pick up a used bike to learn on and then the next year, God willing, I would like to get into something like a Honda Rune. I think it is a cool looking bike too!

Shawn C

Screenwriter
God willing, I would like to get into something like a Honda Rune. I think it is a cool looking bike too!
The Rune is going to be AWESOME. After discussing it (with myself), I just couldn't justify getting the Rune. I mean, it's definately a looker. I just wanted something more practical.

The Rune looks like a bike you would love for six months, and then eventually want something more substantial in terms of convenience/practicality.

I would have never in a million years considered the last style of Goldwing. They always looked too 'geezer-like' to me. The new one is a different story altogeher.

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
Shawn,

The GoldWing is the BEST tourer on the road. I will be getting a Yellow one next year. I am 38. Currently ride a customized 94' Honda Magna V4. i will keep the Magna for local runs, and the Goldie for long hauls.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Nice choice of motorcycle! :D :emoji_thumbsup:
At least you got a cruiser that is truly civilized. I have real trouble figuring out the mystique of a Harley-Davidson, especially with that loud exhaust sound. :rolleyes

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
especially with that loud exhaust sound
I agree. They say it's a safety issue, so that cars can hear them coming. Did they really have to make it so you could hear them coming 4-5 blocks away?

That Rune is awesome. If I had the physical capability to ride a motorcycle(no right hand) this is what I would ride. It's like Tron meets Dark City meets Tucker: A man and his dream. I love it!!!

Shawn, congrats on the Goldwing.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
If I had the physical capability to ride a motorcycle(no right hand)
where there's a will (and enough $$) there's a way. I saw a picture of a guy on the track that was paralized from the waist or so down, he had like a wheelie bar setup that would lower and hold the bike up at a stop. He's probably a shitload faster than I am.
swap the throttle and linkages to the left, link both brakes to the right foot pedal (or just the front, really) clutch and throttle on the left might get tricky so maybe install an air shifter ;)
anyway my point is, I'm sure it's been done before. Maybe someone out there specializes in something very similar, never know.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Ah, thumb control might be too harsh on a bike. Don't ride ATV's so I dunno. Probably be easier than a normal throttle if you had to clutch though. One of the newer BMW's with linked ABS, or honda too I guess, would handle the brake "problem" for ya. Maybe on a cruiser the go stick is a little less twitchy, my bike is a little snatchy, I assume a bigger V twin would be as bad or worse.
drag racers use airshifters (I think they're probably solenoid driven now..) as I understand it, they just interrupt the throttle, actuate the clutch and bump it up or down a gear, whichever way you tell it, for fast smooth, full throttle upshifts on a drag. But it's not my thing so that's what I kinda sorta know or might have read about them :)

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
That's true Philip, I should have added " and the extra cash" to that statement. :)
Actually a friend and I talked about those exact mods except we were talking about a thumb throttle like they have on ATVs for the left handle.
What exactly is an air shifter?

Chris Derby

Second Unit
http://www.accessibility.com.au/news...es/goddard.htm
I met Stuart a few times when I lived in Dallas. He was sponsored by a local company. He also had a crazy fast shifter cart with all the controls on the wheel. It had motorcycle controls w/ a twist throttle.
He was definitely faster than me on the track. Unfortunately, he had a bad crash (at Pocono I believe) and quit racing as a result of those injuries.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Wow, that story was very cool, thanks for locating it Chris.
Philip, so would that system of shifting be similar to the "tiptronic" type of shifting found in cars? Basically where you can shift up or down without the need to manually activate the clutch. If so, that sounds like the ticket. I'll look more into that
I'll ask my friend more about the thumb throttle thing. Maybe there is some way to adjust the ratio so it would be smoother.
Shawn, totally sorry about hijacking your thread :b
I really like your new Goldwing :D

VinT

Agent
Nice ride, but BE CAREFUL out there!

My brother just crashed his bike, it's amazing he walked away unscathed. Couldn't say the same about his Ninja though. He got pretty spooked and is going to stay away from riding for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks