What's new

NEW LINE, a plea for perfection on the 'LOTRs' dvd's! (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
New Line, with The Lord of the Rings, you guys have on your hands what will probably go down in the books as one of the best, and most spectacular fantasy adventure series in Hollywood history, and would like to congradulate you on the smashing critical and box office acclaim this film is recieving, it deserves every bit of it!
Although it may be a bit early to talk about the dvd of this film, I knew that you guys don't mess around, and thought I would take the intiative now, as i'm sure the dvd is probably already in it's planning stages.
The focus of this thread is not the entire dvd release as a whole, i'm sure the extras from you are going to be spectacular. Rather, I started this thread to focus on the film itself, and how it/they will be presented on your dvd's when we get them.
You have consistantly provided us with remarkable product over the years, however your handling of the 'Rush Hour 2' dvd has me a bit concerned. Quite simply, I believe that you tried to cram too much onto one disc with that film, and as a result, the image quality was compromised. The dts track in particular is a major culprit because as you are aware, eat's up a lot of disc space, plus with all the extra's, it's all just too much for one dvd.
Which brings me to the purpose of this thread, I would like to request that this film/s be spread over two discs instead of your usual one.
If you choose to include a dts track, please take a cue from Disney, they opted to spread 'Pearl Harbor' over two discs, and as a result, optimal image quality was maintained throughout.
With 'LOTR's', you have the chance to produce what will no doubt be an EXTREMLY high regarded and desired dvd series, that will be scrutinized by many dvd experts and fans. The fans of this amazing film, and it's two counterparts, are expecting nothing less than perfection from you.
The Lord of the Rings film series deserve only the best transfers you can muster.
Thank You.

RicP

Screenwriter
Which brings me to the purpose of this thread, I would like to request that this film/s be spread over two discs instead of your usual one.
I couldn't disagree more.

I'm fine with a 2-disc set, however the film should be on one disc and all extras on another.

Splitting the film across 2 discs would be a terrible idea and would create an artifical intermission which would not only disrupt the flow of the story but most likely cause you to have to re-select your audio track for the 2nd disc (ala Pearl Harbor).

A 2-disc InfiniFilm set would be great..but keep the movie on one disc please.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Being only 3 hours long, and also being a 2.35 movie (hence the black bars won't take up too much bit space) I think they could do an excellent job of transferring this movie onto one disc.
But please do put all the extras on a separate disc so that the movie gets a "superbit" type of treatment on disc 1.
And please let PJ put as much stuff on there as he wants. I couldn't get enough! :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
John's concern is valid in terms of end-result, and I expect the best from New Line. Regardless of how you present the film [1 or 2 disc(s)], ensure the best presentation possible. That is the most important aspect of the DVD release. If it can fit on 1 disc, that should be the second priority. This is my number 1 disc of 2002, no matter what SW films or Indy films or BTTF films get released. Set a new standard! And beat it when you produce a SE for the Trilogy:D
Take care,
Chuck

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I hope the movie is split across 2 dvds, but only because I'm hoping for a director's cut with so many deleted scenes worked back in that it becomes a 6 hour movie. :)

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
It will most likely be InfiniFilm, but I hope they stick with a swapless presentation:
Disc 1 - The Movie in DD5.1 + Whatever Extras Fit
Disc 2 - The Movie in DTS w/Commentary + Extras
or even
Disc 1 - The Movie in DD5.1 + Commentary
Disc 2 - The Movie in DTS (+ DD2.0 if required)
Disc 3 - Extras
For God's sake, please try to avoid having to swap discs for the majority of people who will just sit down and watch the movie. Even those who like extras will likely only see them a fraction of the times they'll watch the movie. And folks that like DTS would likely enjoy not swapping too.
I still rue the day DTS was created as I feel it simply isn't worth the problems it creates for everyone for the minimal gain it provides over DD (AC-3). This isn't like the "problems" anamorphic encoding creates for 4:3 viewers.
It wouldn't bother me at all if they'd simply release it as
Disc 1 - The Movie in DD5.1 + Commentary + IF Extras
Disc 2 - non-InfiniFilm Extras
And I really wish they'd Close Caption or English Subtitle the extras.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Well, my line of reasoning when I started this thread was this, considering that 'LOTR' and 'Pearl Harbor' have pretty much the same running time, and that the image quality on 'PH' is just spectacular, it would be a good option for this film as well.
Believe me, I would rather have this film on one disc as well, but seeing the poor job New Line did on 'RH 2', makes me wonder how they will put all this stuff on one side of one disc. It will undoubetbly contain commentaries, other language tracks, a DD track, possibly a dts track, and who knows what else, I just don't see how high video quality will be maintained with all of that.
I loved this film so much, and I thought that certain sacrifices should be made in order to have it on dvd the best way it can be. But if they can figure out a way to include all the tracks they like while keeping it on one disc, and not sacrificing image quality in the least, i'm all for it of course.
The point of this thread really was to just let New Line know that ANY sacrifice to the image quality on this film series will be unacceptable. My suggestion was just that, a suggestion, others are welcome of course.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
John, what was that? Spread LOTR over 2 discs? Nooooo! Thats the worst thing possible in my book, thats akin to adding a commercial break during the movie, that must never happen, screw the DTS sound, the movie is 178mins and can easily be contained on one disc with commentaries, the picture quality will be fine (its meant to be dark and gloomy anyway).:D
Unless ofcourse a 4-hour directors cut comes along, than they would probably have no choice but to put it on 2discs.
I hated the fact that two of my favorite films Ben-Hur & Lawrence of Arabia were split onto 2 discs, but they had an intermission in the cinema, so I sort of accepted it (gnashing of teeth).
One of the reasons DVD is superior to LD is the fact you can have the whole film on one side of a disc.
I hate hate hate flipping the disc over while watching a big movie.(Ok Steve we get the point, go and have a lie down):)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I would like to see the film and possibly a commentary, subtitles and a single 5.1 soundtrack on the first disk and all of the extras on a second disk. Forget about Infinifilm. It can't be done properly for this 3 hour film.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Steve, I completly agree with you! As I stated, I don't exactly embrace the idea of spreading it over 2 discs, but if they must, they must. And yes, I also agee that losing the dts track will help a great deal, dts is not a deal breaker for me anyway. A great DD track will be just fine. I wouldn't even have brought up dts if 'RH 2' didn't have one.
But I must state that this film being so dark and gloomy is PRECISLY the reason we need a flawless transfer! We've all seen what deep black levels look like on a disc that's not up to snuff, muddy, and generally not deep and pure. Also, this film was shot in Super 35 and it will suffer worse than 'RH 2' if it's given the same shabby treatment because of the film grain inherant in Super 35 dvd transfers by nature.
Again, let me state, i'm open for anything New Line wants to do, one disc, two discs, doesn't matter to me, as long as they ensure that this film/films are given the transfers they deserve, not one's like 'RH 2' which is very sub par for New Line IMO.
I think I like Neil's idea the best, Infinifilm wouldn't work for this title. Basically keep the first disc as simple as possible, don't go overboard with all these multi tracks, and put all extras on disc two. Now were talkin!:)

Luis A

Second Unit
Keep the DTS track wit the Dolby Digital track. Not only do we want a flawless video transfer, but I think we also would like LOTR in the best possible sound as well. Movie, DTS & DD 5.1, and commentary on disc 1, and extras on disc 2. My .02
L
John, I edited as not to start another debate.:)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Luis, unless your suggesting a separate dts only version, that's not likly to happen any time soon as most people don't have dts capability. New Line has never done that before, but you never know.
I would prefer it if we didn't dwell on our preferrances for DD or dts too much, that's how those debates get started and we've been down that road far too many times, wouldn't you guys agree?:)

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I am comforted by the knowledge that New Line has genereally issued a superior product. There are studios where I would have great concerns, but New Line; not much.

Its also worth noting that, as one of the smaller studios, LOTR was a make or break venture (though who would have figured it not to fly?). I cannot imagine that, with a cinematic endeavor of this magnitude, that they would do anything less than a stellar release on DVD.

Neither New Line, nor us, will forgive a subpar effort, and New Line is most cognizant of the fact that if they blow the first DVD release next August, they will feel it with the next two.

If Pearl Harbour and other recent releases are any indication - and I have no doubt they are - New Line will easily (with a good effort) make as much money on the DVD and (oh God...forbid, VHS) releases as they will do theatrically.

Personally, I cannot fathom this film spread over two disks. It would be a travesty to have to get up half way through this film and turn it over or change disks.

I am not even sure I want stuff like deleted scenes and many of the standard types of extras we are getting so used to. There is a mystery about the LOTR that should remian so. In this, I share George Lucas's belief that commentaries can "explain" too much. Some things should remain undiscovered and un-interpreted, except to our own imaginations.

John, I agree we need the best effort New Line can muster. I can't imagine they will do anything less.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Peter, well said. I really have no doubt either, but I figured it would be good just to let New Line know that we're paying attention to what they're doing.
Good point also about minimizing the extras on this one. 'LOTR's' does have a mystique, and I think it would sorta take away some of the magic if they reveal everything. But, given the size of this film, I suspect they'll provide alot of supplements anyway. That's cool too, as I found alot of those effects shots to be extremly well done, and my curious side will not be able to resist seeing how they were accomplished.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Upmost audio and video quality. Everything else is a secondary concern. And if that means no DTS track, fine.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Agree with Rob, maximize the audio and video quality of the release. All other considerations are secondary.
If this means splitting the film across discs, okay.
If this means the film on one disc with no extras and a second ( and third :) ) disc with extras, okay.
If this means separate DD and DTS presentations of the film, or no DTS release, okay.
And after viewing The Cell please make sure that the only ring(s) on the DVD are the ones that Peter Jackson intended. :)
- Walter.

RicP

Screenwriter
Actually I think what would be best (this is all IMO of course) is to just release the film in the best possible audio/video for now.
Save the commentaries and other extras for the Trilogy SE Box Set. Make the box set 10 discs 3 for each film and a separate disc of extras. :D Ok so maybe that's pipe dreaming, but I think it would be best to concentrate on the presentation of the film for now, and the extras can wait until the Trilogy is done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks