What's new

NEW LINE, a plea for perfection on the 'LOTRs' dvd's! (1 Viewer)

RicP

Screenwriter
Ed,

IMO it would be silly to include a 24/96 6.1 DTS track when perhaps MAYBE 1% of the DVD buying population has a setup capable of playing it.

By utmost audio I meant a really well mixed DD and possibly DTS track if it doesn't detract from the picture quality. I'd save the extras for the Box Set. I mean does Peter Jackson even have TIME to record a commentary until all three films are done?

Incidentally, has any of the 24/96 DTS advocates actually ever heard a DVD in this format? I'm a big dts advocate but I refuse to posture for a format that I've never even heard (24/96 dts)

So has anyone actually heard it on a real DVD? What are the advances over plain dts? You can e-mail me if you don't want to derail this good thread.

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
And please please please no Infinyfilm. I cannot stand them. I really want English subtitles on this movie. New Line has omitted English subtitles in far too many movies and keep doing this.

Ron Birk

Brion Lydon

Stunt Coordinator
One disc to hold the movie, one disc to hold the extras. Thats what I would like to see.

Please please please please, put the movie on one disc. It will really disrupt the flow of the movie if you have to get up to change discs.

Brion

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I totally agree that the movie should be on one disk. Certain films can be spread across 2 disks ok like the s hour musical epics of past but I would not like to see this movie on 2 disks. I can't see why it can't be done considering many of the early DVD's were over 2 hours long on a single layer and looked beautiful (particularly Columbia's disks). Just use careful mastering and authoring and all should be fine.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
It looks like we have a consensus to try to keep the movie to 1 disc with the best picture and audio for the movie. We seem to also agree extras can go on a different disk.

Some types of extras won't work that way. InfiniFilm extras must be on the same disc as the movie because of the way they work. That's why I support what some have said about not making this an InfiniFilm disc. The Fact Track might not take up too much room, but if there's any links to any additional clips, etc., they would need to reside on the main disc and take up space. New Line Platinum Edition would be fine by me.

Another thing that comes up is audio commentary. I'm not sure at what bitrate they're normally encoded, or how much room they take up, but whatever they take up takes away from the core audio and video of the movie. This is yet another reason why I actually prefer documentaries and interviews to audio commentary tracks. They can be moved to a second disc. And easily CC or Subtitles too.

My question to people who like audio commentaries is... do you really need it scene-by-scene throughout the whole movie? To me, The Hampster Factor from Seven Monkeys is it. And that is not an audio commentary. If you like scene-by-scene, would you feel you lost something if on the 2nd disc they just showed the scenes where people actually had something to say and have a commentary for them? Do you really need the "I had fun doing this" or "this was hard" type stuff? Or put another way, would you be willing to put up with the movie split over two disks (every time you watch it) just to hear that stuff running in-line with the movie presentation?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Mikah,

Some commentary tracks are scene specific and some are not. Listening to commentaries like the ones found on "Army of Darkness", or "Final Destination" without the video wouldn't make sense at all, while others like some of the tracks on the "Twin Peaks" set are fine without the video to go along.

Gord

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
RicP,

I'll go even farther than you! Not even close to "one percent" has 96/24 DTS.

It's just the 'U' word, that had me proposing that format. Although I am dying to see if it will be used on my favorite movie, which will be released next year.

Bet we will see audio reviewers falling all over themselfs on DTS 96/24, as always. Only to back off in a few months waiting for the next generation of chips, too truly take us to the next level.

I think 24/96 software is a good thing to go to now. What's going to hold it back is the hardware.

Look for reviews of DTS's new Queen release, to catch all the hype.

This is one, of many titles, that a DTS 'only' [of coarse, it has to have Dolby] should be available.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I must admit that I really am growing weary of needless commentary tracks that are nothing more than the filmmakers patting themselves on the back. I much prefer tracks that are truly insightful, and above all, fun to listen to.
Don't include a commentary track, just for the sake of a commentary track, make it count.

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
Like most here, I love LotR: FotR and would not like to see it spread over two discs. I agree that the best thing would be to have a 2-disc edition with the movie on disc 1 and extras on disc 2.
Obviously we all want top video and audio quality but this movie is special enough that HAS to be seen without any kind of interruptions.

ChrisLee

Stunt Coordinator
Without question Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring is my all-time favorite movie now. I loved the movie exactly how it was in the theater, un-interupted. So I would like to see that the MOVIE is given priority above all else and kept on a single disc. If it means sacrificing commentaries and DTS then I say do it. There can always be a second disc for extras. And for extras flow doesn't matter. For a movie IT DOES.

In matter of importance:

1. WHOLE movie on a SINGLE disc

2. Commentary

3. DTS Audio

4. Extras

5. Isolated Score

6. Foreign Soundtracks

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
NL, I'm begging you to keep the film on one disk. I don't need any extras on disk one. I don't need a DTS track, even though I really like DTS. I want an uninterrupted film. Put everything else on disk 2 and (possibly) disk 3.
Personally, I'd buy a DVD release that was just the film in its theatrical form and then a second DVD release that was a no-holds-barred ultimate directors cut with tons of extras. I'm happy to give you my money for this film.
Please, please put the film on one disk with the highest quality audio and video possible for that type of presentation.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
The problem with a 3 hour movie is that you cannot put in one disc and have both a DTS and DD soundtracks (not to mention the director's commentary) AND have acceptable video quality.
So those who want DTS and the movie on one disc are going to be out of luck one way or the other I think. The way things are going these days, Ill just be happy if I am able to get a good quality OAR transfer.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
With the way things are going with lack of extras becoming more of a reality, what if we get a bare bones single disk with just the movie?

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I actually wouldn't mind if the movie is spread across two discs. I saw in the theater both with and without intermission, and I think the intermission worked well.

I just want optimal picture quality, and I would really like to have several commentaries (PJ, Actors, Howard Shore etc.) along with DD 5.1 and DTS tracks.

I think New Line could make a kick ass special edition with the movie on disc 1 & 2 and the extras on disc 3 (& 4?). But I sure wouldn't mind another configuration.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
New Line, I am your complete and total ho when it comes to this movie. Release it movie only, and I'll buy it. Release it spread across 2 discs plus extras and I'll buy it. Release both, and I'll buy both. Release both, and then the complete package in '04, and I WILL BUY IT ALL!
Things to think about...
1) Quality - audio and video (dts is nice, not at all required) - must be THE PRIORITY
2) DELETED SCENES (branched, not branched, whatever)
3) Good documentaries (both for the film AND the book)
4) Lots of conceptual art from John Howe and Alan Lee
5) Publicity (NL's internet grass roots campaign was BRILLIANT, and I'd least like a little look into it)
6) Commentaries
- PJ, Fran, Phillipa
- PJ, the DP, etc.
- The Fellowship
- Howard Shore
- Hmmmmm......
- Special Note on the commentaries/dts/bitspace:
a) you can put the movie on one disc (OAR, best picture, DD 5.1) as a release
b) you can put the movie as a multi-disc set (commentaries, dts, intermission) as a release
c) you can package them both for the connosieur, and give everyone else a choice
d) you can wait until 2004 for the big stuff...movie only plus a few tidbits will hold everyone over until then
e) give the consumers the choice and IT WILL PAY OFF
7) Effects stuff - miniatures tours, 3-D flyarounds, development - give WETA Workshop and WETA Digital their due
8) More to come, as I think of it...
For the 2004 release:
- interviews with actors (include Sean Bean, please) after ROTK is released
- Most importantly, add in some deleted scenes (PJ's discretion), remove the intros from TTT and ROTK and credits from FOTR and TTT, make a complete trilogy credits roll, and give a ten-hour LOTR to the fans of the books, with best sound and picture possible.
Thanks for listening,
Chuck

John CW

Supporting Actor
New Line: I think the general consenus is this: MAKE THE BEST DVD EVER (I'm not joking here.)
And that includes a GREAT picture quality (with NO Edge Enhancement!). I was recently re-awakened to the potential high quality of DVD picture and sound (but especially picture) by Artisan's Twin Peaks boxset. WOW WOW WOW.
I think anyone here would actually prefer the film on two discs if it meant opitimum picture quality - nothing beats a picture that makes you go 'WOW - now THAT's DVD!' everytime you see it. One thing is for sure: Don't ruin it by trying to squeeze too much on the same disc as the movie! We all LOVE extras, but we also LOVE the movie!!! :)
I know you guys are going to do a GREAT job and I look forward to buying a high quality New Line product!
~ John
PS - What's the deal with Fire Walk With Me?? Who dropped the ball on that classic?

Jay Rodriguez

Stunt Coordinator
I too would like to see the movie on one disc. Hopefully a commentary or two would fit on that disc as well. I think a second disc (or two) should be dedicated to extras. The intermission on Pearl harbor took me out of the movie....I don't want this to happen with LOTR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks