What's new

New Kubrick SE's (1 Viewer)

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

I hear ya, but it doesn't make any sense.

What I mean is that 60+ percent of DVD volume comes from just a handful of retailers:

Walmart
Best Buy
Circuit City
Target
Amazon

That they should be able to pull off on a spreadsheet and at least get most of it right. But they couldn't even get the big guys their share.

How can they muck it up that bad?

Oh and those of us that have orders for Blade Runner in ... how confident are you now in seeing that release before Christmas?

I also found the Kubrick box set under Sci Fi at Best Buy. Payed $54.99. I watched first 45 min of Clockwork and 2001 and they are both improvements over the Digital remasters,

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I was holding 2001 and EYES WIDE SHUT in my hand, looking for THE SHINING, and a Best Buy employee asked if I was looking for the other Kubricks. I nodded, and he pointed at a nearby display that included several of the box sets. I was already gonna pay $45, so I figured I'd pony up another $11 and get the whole box. :D

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Just in case it's still not clear, I can confirm that the new Barry Lyndon is definitely NOT anamorphic.

In fact is identical to the 2001 version. It has the 2001 menu, and all the files on the disc are dated 2001. Disappointing to say the least.

I guess I'll soothe my sorrow with my 5 beautiful Kubrick Blu-Ray;s. :)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I've yet to find an actual copy of the boxset after checking CC and Target (BB may be the only B&M retailer who is apparently carrying this).

Questions:

I've seen web sites refer to the boxset as a 10-disc set (?).

I'm going to make the assumption that the 'Full Metal Jacket DE' is a one-disc affair and that the 10th disc is the 'Life in Pictures' Doc (?).

This is the FMJ transfer that was recently used for HD releases and was criticized for being sourced from a 1080i/bobbed video master (?).

There are basically still no extras for FMJ (?).

On a side issue, how did they do the packaging inside the box?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

1. Yes, it's a 10 disc set. 2001, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, and Eyes Wide Shut are all 2-disc editions (one disc for the film, the second for extras), with Full Metal Jacket and A Life in Pictures being single-disc.

2. FMJ is probably from the new 1080p transfer since it's very smooth and seems to match the look of the new HD-DVD in terms of image quality.

3. It does have a commentary, as well as a making-of featurette and the trailer.

4. Six amarays in a cardboard box.

Jon Baker

Second Unit

Keep in mind too that all the cover inserts for these Kubrick DVDs are printed on 30% post-consumer recycled paper.

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator

Man, that is lame. I sold off my '01 releases of Barry Lyndon and Lolita several weeks ago when I pre-ordered the new releases. Most online listings specified that these new releases would be "newly remastered" which most people (including me) would take to mean they would now be 16x9 enhanced. And I also figured there was no way Warner would be so pathetic as to simply re-release the same old disks of these with the other new Kubrick's coming out. I mean this is Warner, not MGM, right? (rolls eyes)...

Well, I guess they suckered me (and probably a few thousand other people) on this one. Between this non-sense and Warner's lousy distribution/order fulfillment of late, I am starting to really sour on them as the 'best of the big studios' when it comes to DVD.

John_Walker

Auditioning
I don't have a Blueray or HD dvd player.

How good is the new standard 2 disc release? Did they clean up the video?

Thanks

John

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

I would give all 5 films an A+ in terms of image quality. All of these excellent in the '01 DVD set incarnations, but the big selling points are the extras, the original 16x9 formats for The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, and Eyes Wide Shut, the uncut orgy scene in EWS, and 16x9 enhancement on A Clockwork Orange. If you're happy with the 2001 box set, I'd wait until you can pick up the HD editions. Since I didn't own any of the films already, this was an easy purchase for me.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Jeez, why not restore Barry Lyndon as well. :frowning:

"I don't have a Blueray or HD dvd player.

How good is the new standard 2 disc release? Did they clean up the video?"

Someone in the HD section compared the HD of 2001 to a religious experience and thats about right. I couldnt believe how great it looked.

EWS, The Shining and ACW all looked very good.

If HD is in your future, if youre thinking about it, I say wait for the HD upgrade.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Actually, Fox now has home video rights to the MGM/UA library. So getting three companies to coordinate a box set would be difficult.

Though I must admit it would be nice to see The Killing and Paths of Glory receive anamorphic widescreen transfers like the WB Kubrick titles.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin

Yes I know that Fox is doing the distribution for the MGM/UA that MGM /UA still has control over, a lot of the titles in the libraries changed hands with the acquisition but Sony had a controlling interest in the company per sea, the question is the Kubrick titles something that they kept for themselves, or are they still in the hands of MGM/Fox.

Fox has worked with WB in the past, the Mel Brooks set, so I can see where that would have worked out, what I am hoping for is that someone does a new transfer, of the three original MGM titles, all in OAR, and of course deluxe editions of BL and Lolita.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

It's been clear that Barry Lyndon and Lolita were not part of this set months ago so selling off your copies is on you.

Now, what's on Warner is still a valid point, even if it ain't news.

- Full Metal Jacket (not given the same treatment as the rest)
- Barry Lyndon/Lolita not included in the box set
- Distribution problems on the box set
- Quality issues (reported) on the box sets that did get out

This ain't some obscure director this is Stanley f**king Kubrick.

What did we get from all this wait from the last release in 2001?

Some new extras? Anamorphic releases that should have been anamorphic when released in 2001 for Pete's sake? Big Whoop.

Other than Hitchcock there is no more written about director on the planet than Kubrick and WHV went through the last bunch of years like they've sleeping walking. How many WHV discussions were there about when we can expect new releases of these films?

Yet, in the last 6 years they couldn't some how pull off an anamorphic and remastered Barry Lyndon?

I've Netflix A Life in Pictures if there is any questions about what I'm doing about this boxset.

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
I'm confused about the lack of Full Metal Jacket around. I've searched Amazon and they only have HD/BD of it...no SD? The announcement as reported by DVDActive said nothing of this...did they come right out and say it is only in the box, or are we inferring that from the lack of it in stores? No offense to Stanley but I only wanted 2001, Orange, and FMJ.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...ck-collection2

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

I found it on Amazon. My understanding is that there were no changes from the prior release (as far as content goes). FMJ has been discounted forever. My guess as to why they didn't upgrade this was that they had a ton of returns from stores on this title. I mean it seriously was discounted every fourth week at Best Buy. This is not meant to be a reflection on the film, just on its economic impact.

link: http://www.amazon.com/Full-Metal-Jac...3339685&sr=1-5

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks