What's new

New Kubrick SE's (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The '01 Barry Lyndon DVD looks fantastic. The only problem is the lack of 16x9 enhancement. That's the only flaw. The previous '99 is supposed to be pretty awful, though.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Today, I "double dipped". In Munich I bought at "Muellers" the following all for 7.99 Euros which is about $12 each.

Full Metal Jacket; Shining; 2001; Eye Wide Shut; Clockwork Orange.

All are 2 DVDs and widescreen 16.9

1.78: Shining; FMJ; EWS
2.20 2001
1.66 Clockwork

I also noticed as a single DVD with the original cover Barry Lyndon also as wide screen 1.59. Perhaps I misread this thread, I was under the impression that it was still 4:3.

For EWS, which was cut and now restored, where in the film was this done? Please give chapter and time.

As for the covers, other forums such as GAC have complained about "ugly" covers! Who cares! it is what is on the DVD that counts.

I have Shining both R2 and R1. If I remember the scene between the mother and the son was not on the R2 version. Does anyone have a list of the differences? Perhaps given time (!) I might do that sometime.

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
Regarding the censorship of Eyes Wide Shut: there was nothing cut, per se, but during the orgy sequence digital figures were strategically placed to block "thrusting." If you watch the sequence it will be clear where the figures were added.

Regarding the differences between the U.S. and European cut of The Shining: I've "cut and pasted" the following from imdb--

The full-length version runs approx. 145 minutes and is the U.S. theatrical version, available in the USA on VHS, DVD and laserdisc. All the other versions, however, run just under two hours (115), omitting about half an hour of footage. This is beacuse Kubrick cut some scenes from his film, which he thought were unnecessary. British television network ITV screened the full US version of The Shining during the late eighties. The following is a list of all the scenes or parts of scenes not present in the other versions of The Shining.

* The last line of dialogue (spoken by Wendy) in the kitchen scene, the subsequent dissolve, Bill Watson's arrival to the interview (and all his dialogue), Jack recounting his previous jobs and the reason for shutting the Overlook in winter.
* After Danny's vision in the bathroom, the entire Doctor scene is removed (making Anne Jackson's name in the opening credits a mystery), where Danny discusses "Tony" and we discover Jack dislocated Danny's shoulder in a moment of drunken rage, and joined the wagon afterwards.
* The scenes where Mr. Ullman shows Jack and Wendy around the Colorado Lounge, when they walk outside the maze and when Dick Halloran shows Wendy and Danny round the kitchens have been shortened, but not removed completely.
* The scene where Jack, Wendy and the hotel managers first enter the Gold Room and are introduced to Dick Halloran, the subsequent dissolve, a line of dialogue between Halloran and Wendy about the woman's name.
* The first shot of Wendy wheeling the breakfast trolley.
* The second half of Wendy and Jack's breakfast conversation where Jack says how he feels he's been to the Overlook before.
* A shot from behind of Jack throwing the ball against the wall, the subsequent dissolve and the line "Loser has to keep America clean, how's that?" (8 seconds in all!)
* Wendy seeing the news and weather report on television in the kitchen while preparing food.
* The title card "Thursday" and part of Wendy and Danny's snowfight.
* Wendy and Danny watching television in the Colorado Lounge.
* Some lines of dialogue between Jack and Lloyd during their first encounter.
* A line of dialogue spoken by Jack after the encounter with the old woman, referring to Danny's vision of the blood.
* The scene where Wendy goes over her plan to leave the Overlook verbally in their room and Danny gets possessed (?) by "Tony", sitting bolt upright in bed.
* Halloran's third attempt at trying to contact them via the telephone and County Office.
* The 8am title card.
* Halloran's question to the stewardess on the plane.
* A long shot from behind of Jack at the typewriter.
* Halloran's plane touching down and phoning his friend Larry to arrange the rental of a Sno-cat.
* The scene where Danny watches Roadrunner (not actually on screen) and Wendy goes to find Jack, taking a baseball bat, just before she goes to find his manuscript.
* Wendy seeing skeletons in the hotel lobby.

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius

Seems like a good post here to jump in to say:
I bought the HDD of 2001, as well as I had bought the Kubrick box set last fall., Since 2001 is one of my five most favourite films of all time, I had to have the HDD of that film in my DVD library., Since I don't have two HDD players, I wanted to compare the 2 discs (on my 46" LCD Sony Projection,) and found the HDD disc a little disappointing in the fact that I was SO IMPRESSED with the regular 2001 disc being 'up-converted' (from my Toshiba A3) to my TV set, the colours and detail of the film vastly blew away any of the two previous Dvds of 2001.,
so in comparing the two: I had the regular DVD on my everyday ''Non HD' Sony DVD player sending the video signal thru an SVHS wire to the TV, (480i )
( no HDMI on the player), and the HDD Toshiba A3 (with HDMI) sending the signal (1080i) to the TV on another input.
So by toggling back and forth I 'could not see any improvement' on color or detail., even the Bathroom instructions looked the same strength in lettering..
I either have an exceptional Sony with SVHS, or a disappointing HDD disc..

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Funny, most reviews indicated that 2001 HD was revelatory and reference quality.

However, most of the other Kubrick movies were shot in different lighting and OARs that made the HD versions somewhat less...essential.

I bought the new Kubrick DVD boxset week one and then a used copy of BL, when a used copy of 2001 HD came along later I upgrade that without even watching the new DVD.

At this point, I think I'm covered.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I am not sure what is meant by "lack of 16x9 enhancement". Does that mean it is not in 16x9 but 4:3? I looked at my DVDs in a (PAL) box of Kubrick that I bought a few years ago - all having snapper boxes and saw that "Barry Lyndon" was also wide screen then (16:9 1.59:1).

Regarding the price I paid in a post above, I paid 7.99 Euros and I have seen on Amazon.de & JPC.de that the normal price is circa 20 Euros. Also, in Germany, according to Amazon.de - the Kubrick special editions came out beginning of December. I have not seen any box sets here. The DVDs bought in German have English/German/Spanish languages plus subtitles Eng, Ger, plus a number of other.

Regarding Eyes Wide Shut - the current and the version I bought in the box a few years ago appear to be not censured like the previous R1 version. How could this film be shown on TV thinking of the "costume failure" at halftime of the Super Bowl.

The version of Shining here is the 115 minute version

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius

I think you meant 'Shown' instead of 'sure',
and 115 minute verison of the Shining ??????
There is no such edition of that length..
All copies of the Shining ( three in total 1999/ 2001/ 2007 ) are all 144 minutes in length.

SteveK123

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve kraemer
I notice everyone is debating the EWS disc, but I have a question regarding the A Clockwork Orange disc. I know the transfer is 1.66:1 therefor I have small piller boxes on each side of the movie, however is it just mine or is the piller box on the left side bigger then the right side. Whats worse is it seems to change during different scenes in the movie. Is this on the DIsc or is it my DVD player doing it?

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
Couple things here:
1. IF Your TV has the ability to 'adjust' the shape of the screen either up down or sideways a few degrees.. try that.

2. I watched my Clock Orange on an 'upconverting DVD player with HDMI and I had no bars what so ever..and being anamorphic, it completely filled my 16 x 9 screen to the edges..

SteveK123

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve kraemer
I don't have option #1 unless I am in zoom mode. Interestingly I put the tv in 4:3 mode to see if I had more overscan on one side of the tv then the other, and sure enough the black bars are uneven there. It seems it must be coming from the Disc or the DVD player. I will have to try another dvd player and see.

JonJJ

Auditioning
Yeah, I was watching Barry Lyndon last night. One of my favorite films. I really hope they give it and Lolita an SE in the future...

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

.....uhm....OK-
If youll look a weeee bit closer, youll note that even the new single editions have different covers, from the radical (2001) to less so...all the rest now have black backgrounds with other small new decorations, tinkerings and changes.

even BL and Lolita, not part of the set or promotion proper, are now in keepcases and no longer have the blue "SKC" stripe at the top.

So-what was the bet?

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I've only watched 2001 so far (HD version) and the PQ was very, very nice.

I wasn't blown away by the extras though, mostly they just seemed like a scattershot collection of anecdotes.

By the end of the 'Making of', I still didn't even know who the Production Designer was. Ken Adams?

I also watched 'Life in Pictures' from the DVD boxset and that was very nice.

I'm hoping the extras from the newer movies are a bit more comprehensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks