What's new

New iMac with 10th gen Intel and 1080p camera...(or: wait until ARM?) (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member

This is probably the last iteration prior to ARM. Appealing specs. But not sure I want to drop this kind of cash when a huge architecture change is on the horizon.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I expected to see the ARM iMac as one of the first out of the gate. This release makes me rethink that. So man, I dunno. If you NEED an iMac today this will be awesome for at least 2 years. But if you can wait, I'd wait.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If it’s a last hurrah, the iMac is going out with a bang—the latest and greatest 10th-generation Intel core processors. Most impressive is the fact that the high-end model, which is the one I tested, has ten processor cores. It’s so many cores, in fact, that it’s shamed the old eight-core right out of existence—now the base-model iMac Pro is the ten-core version.

That’s probably a good move, since in my tests, the 10-core i9 iMac configuration beat the pants off of my poor 8-core iMac Pro. Last year’s top-of-the-line iMac beat my iMac Pro at many tests, but the ol’ girl eked out a few wins of her own. This year, it’s no contest.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
To the implicit question of buy now or buy later:

If you need a new iMac, buy now. This is a great iMac.
If you don't need a new iMac, wait. There will be a better iMac later.

DaveF's First Law of Computers: The best time to buy is always tomorrow.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
To the implicit question of buy now or buy later:

If you need a new iMac, buy now. This is a great iMac.
If you don't need a new iMac, wait. There will be a better iMac later.

DaveF's First Law of Computers: The best time to buy is always tomorrow.
It all depends and what you mean by the word “need.” I prefer to think of “need” as almost meaning “want.” Oh hell, it does mean that. :D Well, after twisting the language to mean what I want, I still won’t be getting one.

What am I using to write this? My ipad. What device do I use the most between iMac and ipad? The ipad. In the near future, what I really want to get is a new SVS subwoofer. The SW will cost less and I’ll use it more. Funds are not unlimited and I will have to choose.

Last edited:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I've never regretted getting my PowerSoundAudio 15S (made by the original V in SVS, Tom Vodhanel) and my Hsu Research VTF3-MK5 sub (under $2K combined). The two together cost as much as an entry level iMac. Assuming your computer needs are met, I'd get the subwoofer.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
In the PC world, Dennis' First Law of Computers is to buy refurbished at 80% discount.

My law has been buy Macs used from a University Surplus auction at 80% discount. True, they're never the latest model, but they do what I needs 'em to.

In a way, it's almost too bad that Apple has gotten so popular. It's made the secondhand-buying market way more competitive, though I got an excellent deal on a pallet of Mac Pros about 4 years ago. I used to buy/sell way more surplus Macs back in the "beige" days, when I could get them dirt cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks