What's new

New HT, speaker help (1 Viewer)

Robert Burchell

Auditioning
Hey, im building up my first HT system and would like a little help choosing some speakers.

I currently own a jvc stereo and i realy like the sound, just doesnt have the volume for me. its the Hx-z3 and it wasnt cheap lol. i cant post urls yet so to give an idea of what is it here some specs

70 watts rms x 2 for mids highs
160 watts x 2 rms for subs

per speaker
8" ported paper cone subwoofer
Dual 5.25" midrange
2" paper cone tweeter

anyways, im looking for some speakers that will get loud and sound good on a budget. im a student so im working with about 300-350 for speakers, if i buy online that has to cover shipping and tax, and i live in canada by the way, so thats canadian funds.

I listen to alot of rock/alternative, and some old rock like zepplin, rush, skynard ect. I like my music to have a soft clear treble, strong midrange, and punchy bass that hits with authority.

My dad has a pair of cerwin vegas, the ones with the 10" woofer, 4" midrange and 1" metalic tweeter and i dont care for them too much, the highs are just to harsh and raspy, and the midrange isnt as present as it seems to be on my current stereo, also the bass just isnt half of what it is on mine.

im gonna be adding a DIY adire audio tempest in the future so the speakers i get now dont need to be too bassy i guess.

anyways, and sudgestions are welcome, i can build them too if that would be cheaper and give me better results, i like DIY projects and have access to all the tools i need, my dads a carpenter and has all the latest and greatest junk.

thanks for any input i get, and sorry for rambling, i just wanna give a good idea of what im looking for so i dont waste all that money on speakers i dont like.

Oh, hey one more quick question, if you go on ebay, and look up cerwin vega, youll find a speaker package that has (4) 8" woofers, and (2) 1" tweeters, crossovers and all that stuff to make (2) 2 way tower speakers, id send a link but it wont let me lol, think those would be decent package ? i could buy 2 for that price and build some big towers that would each have 4 woofers and 2 tweeters ? anways, any help is nice, thanks.

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
If you can find them online,( and I think you should still be able to I would go for JBL S38II) for a 2 speaker system. I have heard from others you can get them for about $250 online. They should be able to provide adequate bass until you get your Sub. One great deal for a ht system is the Fluance SX home theater system us great for the money. around $249 + shipping for 2 towers 2 surrounds and a center. I have heard nothing but good things about these speakers.www.fluance.com There AV Home theater gets good reviews too at $199 they are a steal.

Greg

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
The problem with buying speakers from the states is they kill you on shipping, GST,PST and brokerage fees. If you live outside of Ontario Fluance will only charge you shipping and GST.If you live in Ontario they'll charge you PST as well.
The other speakers are the JBL NSP1II. I think the Fluance especially the SX-HTB are better for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks