What's new

New HT Audio Setup idea - comments? (1 Viewer)

Blair Lee

Agent
I am the new owner of a Panny 53WX42, and it's time to add some surround to the package. I'm on a budget, but I've also heard the "budget" systems and have been less than satisfied. Yesterday I made the mistake of going to a local audio/video store and sampling a Boston Acoustics surround package...I was utterly blown away. But I don't want to spend $1000 on speakers at this time.

I've read some good advice on this forum about putting it all together piece by piece, so here's my idea. Costco is currently selling a Pioneer HTiB system. It comprises the VSX 711 receiver, five small (size is an issue!) speakers, and a subwoofer. Total price: $450. I've heard good things about the receiver, but I don't know anything about the speakers - I bet they're pretty bad, though. HOWEVER, I should be able to get by on them until I decide to upgrade to a nice set of surround speakers.

Does anyone have experience with this setup? Or, in general, is this a good way to go? Speaker size is an issue because of the lack of space in the TV room. Otherwise I'd get the Onkyo speaker set and be done with it (for now).

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Yes, this is a sensible thing to do.
I don't know that particular gear, but your idea of starting now and upgrade whenever possible is a very good route.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks