New system... how to build it out

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Stephen<W, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Stephen<W

Stephen<W Auditioning

Hi there. I'm looking to build out an audio system. I have bought a Denon 2106 receiver and am now looking at speakers. However, I need to build this system up gradually over a year or so to ease the $$ impact. So, I'm considering two options. The first involves buying a nice pair of front mains and going two channel for awhile. (Use here will be 30:70 HT/audio) I have listened to the totems (Hawk, Arrow, Sttaf and Forest) and love them. So, I'm thinking maybe a pair of Sttafs to start (I would like to step up to the hawk, but its 6 ohm impedance scares me. I know my amp could drive them, but the spec sheet lists a 0.7% THD at 1kHz into 6 ohms, and I figure if you are going to drop a couple grand on speakers that much noise is unacceptable). The idea here is that I would add back/center and sub at a later date.

The other option is basicaly the reverse... Go grab a 5 channel solution now, and later upgrade the front sides. I'd use the extra pair for either 7.1 (though my room is a bit small for that) or for a second zone audio. Also, along the impedance line... I have heard good things about the Dreamcatchers (also from totem), but again, the speakers are all low impedance. Does impedance matter as much (for noise more than whether they will work at all) in a setup with a powered sub? I would think that if you switched all frequencies under say 80 Hz to the sub the strain on the amp driving low impedance mains would be lessened. If I choose to shy away from low impedance speakers, can anyone recommend a decent 8 ohm 5 channel set? Any comments or feedback would be appriciated.

Thanks!

2. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

If it were me, I'd go 2.1 to 3.1 to 5/6/7.1 in that case.

3. joseph westcott

joseph westcott Second Unit

I agree with Dick but would buy the towers first, put the center channel as my next purchase, then the sub, then the rear surrounds.

If you are concerned about power, look for a speaker design that is more sensitive and easier to drive until you can afford or want a separate amp.

Happy Holidays!

4. Stephen<W

Stephen<W Auditioning

OK. I just got back from my local audio shop. I layed out for the Totem Hawks after an hour with them. They should be here in a week. I can't believe how good they sounded in the studio. Here's hoping that they stand up well in my living room. I'm still considering the sub channel. I likely will drop a fair chunk on the center too. I'm looking at the Rainmaker Center, also from totem, but 1k for a single speaker ... I dunno.... Thank god I don't have to justify this to anyone but myself. Probably get a couple of Mites for the surround channels after I get the 3.1 setup just right.

5. Don Hudgens

Don Hudgens Auditioning

First post here.

That is what I will probably do. I just purchase the 2106 myself to replace my 10 - 15 yr old (obviously non surround) Onkyo. I wish I would have sprung for the 3806 now that I think about it. But I was X-mas shopping for my wife when I dropped by a HT shop just to look and ended up buying a reciever.

But I think I will get some good towers than a sub than a center channel than surrounds in that order.

Good luck with your new speaks. I need something to get rid of my 20+ yr old Kennwoods that my parents got me for christmas. I've beens spending all my $$ on car audio up untill now about time I hit the HT up.