What's new

New Hitachi (1 Viewer)

Ronald K

Auditioning
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've been looking for a new TV and thought I'd share my observations and pose a question.
I narrowed my search to the Tosh 57HX, the 65 Mits Plat Plus, the sony XBR and finally the Hit 61SWX10b. Initially I was most impressed with the Tosh. In the Good Guy they were showing both from a HD feed and NTSC over the air. However most of my serious viewing is DVD so I brought my DVD player, a non progressive sony and a favorite disc, First Contact (Star Trek). I urge all of you who are looking for a TV, do this. Bring your own material to watch. Well, the picture looked terrible on the Tosh. I found the Hitachi at Sears and when I hooked up to that the picture was as close to film as I had seen on any set. That clinched the decision.
Now I have the set home, very happy with the picture. also happy with the remote. Video source changing and aspect changing are simple, not buried under sub menus. Remember, these are changes that you make frequently and should be easily accesable.
But now my question. My set makes a loud audible hum that has nothing to do with the speakers. It gets worse as the picture gets brighter. Is this inherent to big screens or is there something wrong with this set.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Ronald,
I don't think that hum should be happening.
Direct view sets often have a hum or buzz that gets louder during high-brightness scenes, something to do with the power supply. Usually it's fairly faint. I've only had one direct view that had this characteristic, a low-end Sony 32".
I've had 4 rptvs in my house, none has made this noise.
One was an Hitachi 53UWX10B, sort of a smaller, cheaper cousin of your set. It had a noticeable low-frequency hum from the speakers when I had the BBE audio feature turned on, volume at normal level, but no audio input to the tv. Otherwise there was no hum.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Jeff Leeds

Stunt Coordinator
My impressions exactly. The tosh just doesn't give the clear view that the Hitachi does with DVD. I had a Tosh in my living room and had the dealer take it out in favor of a Hitachi. No comparison. The tosh is a good set, but for DVD there is no comparison to the Hitachi.
------------------
Jeff Leeds
[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks