What's new

new here and would like some help with new tv (1 Viewer)

John_P_R

Auditioning
First off I just like to say nice to meet you all and hopefully I'll benefit from all of your collective knowledge and once i start working build a home theater worthy of my dvd's. Now to the subject at hand. I recently bought a 27" Phillips TV model 27PS50B for my bedroom since the 19" just wasn't cutting it for those infamous dvd's letterboxed at 2:35:1. Well I'm looking to calibrate my tv and would like a recommendation on a calibration disc strictly for video purposes. I've been looking into AVIA and S&V the latter seems to be the cheaper alternative but I would want a disc to help me calibrate my tv as close to NTSC standards as I can get it. I bought a setup disc beforce (dvd silver series) and it was a total waste of time and money. The contrast test alone was a joke, I couldn't notice at all where I should set my contrast even when it was maxed out it looked pretty much the same as it did at it's mid point. Also when calibrating my TV with one of the aboved mentioned calibration dvd's showed I turn off things such ass DNR(Dynamic Noise Reduction) and Contrast+ (the manual states that it sharpens the picture quality and black portions become richer in darkness and whites become brighter).
Another note I'd like to mention is that my tv doesn't seem to have a tint option in the setup menu (if anyone knows how to get this on a philips tv through some service code I'd really appreciate it since it's in alot of calibration tests)
my television has the fellowing settings that can be altered
Color
Picture (contrast or so I've heard)
Sharpness
Color Temp
that's about it
any help will be surely appreciated thanks :)

John_P_R

Auditioning
forgot to add one more thing though I doubt the relevance of this but here it goes anyway

I'm using a pioneer DV-341 dvd player hooked up to the TV via component video

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to Home Theater Forum, John.

AVIA should do nicely for now. The new Video Essentials is due sometime this year, as well.

The Philips doesn't have a tint control? Or are you trying to adjust tint via the component-video connection? Several sets' tint controls are bypassed when one looks at a video source through component-video connections.

Try looking at "regular" television and then accessing the user-adjustable picture controls; there should be a tint function then.

And, yes, you are correct: "Picture" is another name for "contract" in the user-control menu.

John_P_R

Auditioning
thank you for the prompt reply I'll go for avia and if the new VE comes out b4 I make my purchase then so be it. I checked with normal cable, rca, and s-video and no it seems my tv is without a tint control, very weird indeed. About the contrast+ is that something I should leave on or off during calibration?

John_P_R

Auditioning
correction the tint setting somehow miraculously appeared during a cable program *scratches his head in complete confusion*

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps it was there all along and you just now noticed it? Or perhaps there's an electronic issue at hand. Watch the situation closely. If the tint control appears only sporadically, I'd swap out sets.

John_P_R

Auditioning
I guess I just noticied it with cable programming since my primary use of this televsion is to watch movies via dvd using component. The tint control is there as long as I'm using cable or have the dvd player connected via composite rca cable. So that pretty much solves that, still I'd like to know if I should leave the contrast+ on or off when I calibrate with AVIA? any input would be truely appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks