What's new

New Email Spoof - "Mailbox overflowing"? (1 Viewer)

John Watson

Screenwriter
I have seen strange things in e-mail - things that are mis-addressed for example, or about messages sent back to the sender (by the ISP) because they were too big (collections of pix was my guess for the reason)

But I just received one saying "Your mailbox is over the high water mark. Please delete some messages from your Mailbox!"

Its not from the ISP, and even checking the message under Properties, there is no discernible "To" address.

We may have 3-400 messages hanging around a few folders, but a week or so ago deleted as many, so its not a very logical message.

Anybody any ideas? Thanks!

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Sure. It is spam checking to see if you have a valid e-mail address.

I got a funny spam a few weeks back - 'Be debt free in 2003'

Gee, can I do last year over? Do I want to?

Glenn

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
It could also be a virus. Lately the asshats who create viruses have been using more clever messages to make people think it is a legitimate e-mail that requires your immediate attention.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Thanks for the ideas.

But there's no attachment, and no request to reply in any form (not that I would), so I wonder if instead of a virus or a spam-invite bait, it's just a joke to panic folks into deleting e-mails.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Does the message contain any links to an image on a web server somewhere? By including a link that is unique to the message, a spammer can use their web server's log to determine that you did receive and open the message.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks