What's new

WWDC 2011 Live Discussion Thread 6/6/11 (1 Viewer)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

Anyone who still uses tech like 1Password in a post PSN hack world deserves whatever trouble they get down the line IMO.

Huh? The 1Password data file (keychain) is encrypted. As long as you use a good password nobody is getting access.

-Keith

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
And that's why I tattoo my various logons and passwords on my body...Memento style! Hack this! [/url]

Anyone who still uses tech like 1Password in a post PSN hack world deserves whatever trouble they get down the line IMO.

[/quote]

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Originally Posted by DaveF Classic Apple spin.

If Android tablets and portable media players continue to be practically irrelevant, then you might have a point. But if not, then some in the "tech media" might also start using "mobile OS" share as opposed to "smartphone" -- if that formulation helps sell the story they chose to advance.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Originally Posted by Keith Plucker

Huh? The 1Password data file (keychain) is encrypted. As long as you use a good password nobody is getting access.

/shrug.... You can choose to believe that, I have my doubts. And trust me, with the number of passwords I keep I'd love to use something like this. But a single point of failure that gives up ALL the goodies once it's unlocked? Madness.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Sam Posten said:
/shrug....  You can choose to believe that, I have my doubts.  And trust me, with the number of passwords I keep I'd love to use something like this.  But a single point of failure that gives up ALL the goodies once it's unlocked?  Madness.

Don't you have an RSA SecurID? (Great until they were hacked, I found I have to send mine in now and get them replaced, how lame)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Ken Chan

There is no streaming. (Use the same voice as, "It's not a tumor.") The idea -- at the moment -- is to "push" the content to your devices. Your Matched music is available from iCloud. It may push them the first time you do the Match; after that, you can download the ones you want. Not clear exactly how that will all be managed. But anyway, the music is on your devices. Play them a million times if you want, no more bandwidth required.

Ah, so this is not like Amazon's CloudPlayer.

But now it makes even less sense. What does it do besides backup music? Is it to be able to swap out music sitting at Starbucks?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Originally Posted by mattCR

Don't you have an RSA SecurID? (Great until they were hacked, I found I have to send mine in now and get them replaced, how lame)

Not any more. And that was just one of a hundred logins I have.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
DaveF said:
But now it makes even less sense. What does it do besides backup music? Is it to be able to swap out music sitting at Starbucks?
Yeah, now I don't get it either. I don't think your iTunes purchases count against your 5GB, I think that's what you upload or match. I think the 5GB is stuff you add to it, your iTunes purchases are just downloaded out of the iTunes store "on demand" and not saved into your locker.. because saving to your 5GB space would be foolish, Apple would be duplicating storage all over the place.. I could forsee where App purchases are just stored on their end, not downloaded into your local PCs because of that. I don't know if that's good or bad, but I could definitely see that as the direction I think this is moving.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
It would have made more sense if it was something which made your home into a Cloud. Like, whenever you have all your laptops and all your phones and ipods under your roof, they silently synch themselves up.

I guess maybe it is intended for people who have multiple homes, or who travel for work so often that they never get an opportunity to move their music onto whatever device(s) they take with them.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Maybe, just maybe, they've created a Week view in the iPhone Calendar!

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/features.html#more

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
iTunes with iCloud beta support is out now for download. iTunes on the iPad has also been updated with the "Purchased" tab.

There are reports of glitches already, two of which I have encountered. Once you download a music track to an iDevice, there is no way to delete it from the iDevice. That would seem to be a pretty basic function, otherwise our iDevices are going to fill up with files from the cloud with no way to do anything about it.

Also, Apps that were deleted for good reason are showing up in the Cloud as previously downloaded apps. There needs to be a way to flag an app as permanently deleted.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

It's too late to close the barn doors, once the mares have gotten out and eaten your children.

All your financial data (banks,credit cards, mortgage, car loan) is already online.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Nice overview of iCloud from MacWorld

http://www.macworld.com/article/160380/2011/06/icloud_what_you_need_to_know.html#lsrc.rss_main

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Originally Posted by DaveF

What does it do besides backup music? Is it to be able to swap out music sitting at Starbucks?

When you buy a song on iTunes, iCloud has *a reference to* the One True authoritative copy. You can download it to up to ten devices, up to five of which can be computers. (It might ID-stamp the download on the fly to contain your Apple ID.)

When you Match, it puts a reference to the iTunes authoritative copy in a separate bucket. (It's the same single copy of the song that people that bought the song use.) Just like purchased music, you can download that whenever; and repeatedly, if you removed it to make room for something else. When/if your Match subscription expires, that bucket goes away. You still have all copies of that song sitting on your devices -- since they're DRM-free copies, they can't do anything about that anyway.

If the song doesn't actually match, then it will upload your copy and hold it for you, counting against the 5GB limit. (You can buy more storage.) There's also a total limit of 25,000 songs, matched or uploaded.

That's my understanding of how it works. I may be wrong; and they could change it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's a pretty fair summary; the MacWorld article does a great job of explaining too.

I'm still trying to figure out what Apple's model user for this service looks like. It's $25/yr to be freed from syncing iOS devices to a PC to get music on them. It's not putting the entire library on one device, but being able to download a a different selection of music when away from the home library (e.g. sitting at Panera or perhaps at a friends).

Maybe spending $25 a year to change music out on the go is seen as a better value than $100 for an extra 16GB of storage to hold all the music? Or to be able to get to all one's music if you can't fit it all onto the iDevice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks