What's new

New Basement HT...A few beginner ?'s though (1 Viewer)

Jay_Via

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all, im working on refinishing the main area of my basement into a home theatre and ive got a few questions, primarily about walls and electrical.

First, a brief history. The basement was finished in the mid-70s and consisted of an ugly linoleum floor, dark paneling and a 12"x12" tile ceiling. The paneling and ceiling have come down because the former owners were heavy smokers and it was pretty nasty down there.

The room itself is 12'8"x23' and has the foundation as 2 walls.

Heres my wall questions: when the paneling came down, i saw that it was installed with 1x2's running vertically that had been nailed into the foundation. I do not plan on 2x4 framing the walls against the foundation because we're not planning on living here for more than a few years. Id also rather not mess with installing and finishing drywall. What other kind of options should i look into for the walls? Right now im just concerned about the 2 walls that are the foundation because the other 2 walls are already framed. I do not need the absolute best in acoustic materials, i just need something that will suffice for the time being. Any thoughts on what might be a good option?

And for the electric: i currently have a screw-in fuse box (100amp) that will be replaced with a new 40 breaker panel. Im planning on running new 20A wire with a 20A breaker just for the outlets in the room (probably 4). I was planning on putting my A/V equipment in a rack with a nice surge suppressor on one outlet. I will be able to plug in my sub in an outlet that is on a different circuit (which i believe i read is ideal?) However, i dont know where to plug in the projector. Is it best to have that on a separate circuit, or is it ok to add on the same one as the rest of my equipment?

Last but not least, Is a decent carpet and pad enough for the flooring? I have read about subfloors, but i dont have the $ or space to put one in, due to already having extremely low ceilings. Im planning on building a sonotube type subwoofer that packs some good punch.

Well, my apologies for being so long. Im really gearing up for this big time and im very excited to get it done. I really appreciate any input that anyone has!

Thanks!

If youd care to talk on AIM, please message me at SidneyPhive0

BillSuneson

Stunt Coordinator
Jay,

I've been looking for some time at http://www.acoustiblok.com

This is a sound deadening material that i think will work well on concrete walls (specifically ones where you don't plan on staying long). I'm not 100% sure but with the right adhesive you may be able to take the material with you when you leave and use it again. Just a thought I've been having with my own theater concrete walls.

Good luck with everything,

Bill

Jay_Via

Stunt Coordinator
hey thanks for the reply Bill. Looks like a very interesting material. I didnt really see an install for direct to concrete, but im going to poke around their site a bit.

Is this forum dead or what? I thought there would be a bunch of replies?? :confused: :confused:

Jason

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus

I thought this myself too, I remember when I first joined, I used to be on here all the time. This particular forum (contruction) used to be a hot spot for me, but I guess so many of us already have our theaters built that we don't visit so much any more...pity.

chris_everett

Second Unit
I think your plan is pretty good Jay. You can attach drywall to those 1x2s. It's probably worth it, even if your leaving soon. I put my projector on the circuit with the rest of my elctronics. Unless you have a _huge_ system, I don't see a need for another circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks