What's new

New Baraka in Canada? (1 Viewer)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone in Canada seen the new Baraka disc? I know it was released in the US late September but no store I know of in Canada carries the thing.
I waited so long to buy the disc and now I can't get the new version
frown.gif

Gord
------------------
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/redirect.cfm?BannerID=8

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I looked all over Montreal and wasn't able to find a copy. Your best bet would be to order it online. http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=MPD074972
MY TOP 20 OF 2001

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Wow, that's a good price.
I didn't really want to order it online because of the low Canadian dollar and then the added cost of shipping.
Thanks for the info Michael!
Gord
------------------
[Edited last by Gord Lacey on November 05, 2001 at 09:52 PM]

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Including priority shipping, it came out to $14.70 US - a great price IMHO.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780-2.html
MY TOP 20 OF 2001

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Did you get dinged for the GST at the border or not? I always expect to but sometimes things seem to slip through depending on how they're shipped.
Gord
P.S. A&B Sound in Edmonton is trying to get $30 for the OLD Baraka
frown.gif

------------------

Ben Simpson

Auditioning
Oooo Ooooo.....is it anamorphic?I used to have this on VHS,now on DVD,and with an anamorphic transfer I'll replace it again!Robert Frick should include me in his will since I've contributed so much cash to his film over the years!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The law states that items whose value is under $20 CDN
Customs includes the shipping price... however you may get lucky. They seem to be avoiding touching the mail these days, which I have no objections to. Packages that had averaged one to two weeks are up here in two business days. Much preferable.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | DVD reviews at dOc

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Jeff,
I've had the opposite experience with customs since the Anthrax cases. One package I had was mislabelled with No Name at top of the return address and the package got nailed. Infact I got nailed $18 include $5.00 handling fee on some discs (with no retail value). I've appealed the case and am waiting to hear back from the customs people.
Then again I think the reason this package got stopped where all others from the same guy made it through ok was that his name was missing on the return address section and that has been one of the "red flag's" as of late.
As for Baraka. I've never seen it.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
My experience is it is luck of the draw. In getting review discs with no commercial value (they even have stickers on them stating such), they may or may not get stopped.
Things do seem to be moving faster, whatever the reason, and I can't complain about that.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | DVD reviews at dOc

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Jeff,
Yeah the discs in question were review discs. The guy who opened them didn't look at the discs or he would have seen the hole punches through the UPC.
As for things coming faster I hope that'll turn into the truth on my end because it's been taking a solid 10 days every single time recently for discs sent ExpressPost. Back in July/August it was taking 3-4.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Just an update:
I received the DVD today from DeepDiscount and I was not charged any fees or taxes. The declared value on the package was $10 US, so it was exempt from charges.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780-2.html
MY TOP 20 OF 2001

Tim Ebling

Grip
Are there any reviews of this new special edition? I still have the old one and was wondering if it is worth the cost (albeit low) for the upgrade.

Gary Stevens

Auditioning
Hi Tim,
I would strongly recommend the new version. I had been waiting for the first release for years and was sorely disappointed by it. Audio quality was OK, but the video was painful to look at, especially given that it was shot on 70mm.
The SE release is a huge improvement. Audio is at least as good as the original release and the video, while still not "reference" quality (IMHO) is very, very good. I viewed both releases on a front projector at 80" width, and could take advantage of the SE's anamorphic transfer.
-Gary

Tim Ebling

Grip
Thanks Gary! Having at least one positive endorsement is enough for me - I'm also a huge Ron Fricke fan. Already placed my order for the SE...
Btw anyone know what Fricke is up to nowadays? Last I heard he was working on a new film called "Samsara", but that was quite a while ago.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I'm going to break down and order 3 copies of it (one for me and 2 as Christmas presents).
Thanks for the reviews guys!
Gord
------------------

PeteD

Stunt Coordinator
I got the Canadian version in Feb. this past year. It was DPL and had an annoying flaw: visable in quite a few scenes, this dark horizontal line running about two thirds of the way down the widescreen frame (i didn't check the P&S version).
I returned it, and got the American version from Amazon.com
This version was 5.1 and also had the same flaw, just to a lesser degree. Perhaps lower bit rates show this flaw more.
Can anyone tell me if they notice this as well on any other versions out there? I'm pretty sure it's the telecine transfer or maybe the print?
BTW, I didn't have to pay customs.. Never do from amazon when shipped to Canada for some reason.
P.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Sweet. This movie is a stunner alright. I have seen it, and I own the video tape (which I've never watched because I was hoping to find a Laserdisc). I'm glad to hear a better version is out on DVD. I had no idea of the shortcomings of the DVD. I would have very easily bought it, so now I will definitely check out the newer SE version. A keeper for sure.
[Edited last by Chris PC on November 16, 2001 at 07:14 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks