What's new

New B&W sub is OUTSTANDING! (1 Viewer)

Ben Hanrahan

Stunt Coordinator
I just brought home a new B&W ASW600, they're not even up on the B&W website yet. I previously owned the ASW500 and the ASW1000, and this unit outperforms both in my installation. I always found the 1000 to be a great powerful sub, but a little loose and maybe even too powerful sometimes. The 600 is about half the size of the 1000 and it's in a sealed enclosure and it's really tight and punchy and a lot easier to blend. There is also a slightly more powerful unit available the ASW650, this may be even better, but I can't say for sure. Just wanted to relay a positive experience and throw out another bargain subwoofer contender into the mix.

Ben

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
This sounds promising. I've always been a big B&W fan when it comes to speakers, but their subs have left much to be desired.

Randy G

Second Unit
Just out of curiosity, you might want to check out the new ACI Force subwoofer...it looks to be incredible for its size, and it's sealed, of course. ACI is a direct seller that makes superb products at extremely reasonable prices.
Audiophiles have know about them for years. audioc.com

Ben Hanrahan

Stunt Coordinator
Got it at Dewar's. Funny how another poster says that the downfall of Dewar's is that they don't care about specs...I agree. Specs are irrelevant and designed to influence people to buy gear, what Dewar's always says is "listen" to the goddamn stuff!

That being said, when I went in, Brian Dewar told me all about the sub, said it was a 175 watt ampa and sealed etc, etc..

I love Dewars.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
That was me that said that. I agree that specs aren't everything, but with so many choices it is hard to get to listen to everything.

I enjoy the sound of the B&W's and chose them over paradigm's because they sounded similar to me although more laid back, but I wanted the Dewar's upgrade options.

I wouldn't say specs are completely irrelevant though. If your sub that you love (glad you do) had specs like +_3db at 40Hz or something silly like that, don't tell me you wouldn't have looked at something else with better specs?

Especially if you don't know what to listen for. But yes specs can be skewed and shouldn't be used as holy grail. I have a velo CHT-15 and well I took it home along with a paradigm PSW-1200 (I think it was) and the paradigm had better specs but the velo killed it in my room.

Of course I was in Dewars today and was told the new 602 S3 was slimmer than the old 602 S2 and contained the same driver as the 603 that they had on the floor. Which is not true according to the specs :). That's why I like specs, accroding to B&W's site the 602 S3 is a 7inch cone and the 603 S3 is a 6.5inch cone. Too me it looked odd right off the bat.

Anyway too each his/her own. I love dewars too, can't beat the upgrade bug there, and I have a severe case of it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks