What's new

New Austin Thread (1 Viewer)

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
Hey guys,

Any of our experts know what a 120Hz RGBW color wheel on a DLP projector corresponds to in terms of being 2x, 4x, etc? Thanks,

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Mark: here's your color wheel answer:

Hank,

2X C/W is running at 120Hz nominal= mainly used for business application(higher brightness/more artifacts per frame sequence)

4X C/W is running at 240Hz nominal= mainly home usage application(lower F # < brightness/minimal artifacts/higher color saturation /frame

Ernie

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Hank - while you're talking to engineers about DLP projectors & color wheels, I've always wondered...

How can passing light through a color wheel yield different color for each of approximately 1,000,000 pixels? And how can colors be mixed by the wheel? If the wheel has red, green, blue, and (optional) clear segments, the light passing through would be only one of those colors.

Would persistence of vision cause the viewer to perceive a mixed instead of a primary color? How you can mix different proportions of red/green/blue with a spinning wheel - by varying the speed of the wheel perhaps?

---

Also a request to all hosts - please post or E-mail an update confirming who is hosting what portions of the meet, at what times, as well as how to get to the lunch spot...

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Hank,

For the corner treatments we just need the same wallboard as for the panel absorbers and something to make endcaps from, like 1/2" inch MDF or plywood. Thickness isn't important as long you can tack the wallboard onto it. A long 1x1 at the corner is useful as well for stablizing the wallboard. The corner absorbers can be made with rigid fiberglas or fiberglass batting. It might be fun to make both kinds actually, and see which one works best in Greg's room.

Some latex gloves are nice too when handling fiberlgas.

Jonathan

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
Thank you Hank! The guys at AV Science couldn't even agree on an answer to that one. You rock!
Reason I asked was I had been considering the Optoma EzPro 755. But since it's color wheel is only 2x, the only real advantage it seems to have over the other projector I'm considering (the Sharp PG-M20X) is better video processing (Optoma uses the Silicon Image DVDO chip). The Sharp has better contrast (1000:1 vs 600:1) and an advertised 3x color wheel. Brightness is almost identical(Optoma's 2000 lumens vs Sharp's 1900). I'm trying to get a demo of the Sharp with Padgitt's (local A/V company in Austin and Waco) to see how well it deals with interlaced DVD signals. Hell, maybe I can rent one for the meet if they'll aplly the fee to the purchase :) I'll keep you guys updated.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan: yesterday I went to an Owens Corning dealer and bought six 2' x'4' type 703 rigid fiber glass pieces - they are 2" thick. They were left over from a cusotmer job. They told me that most of their sales of these is to people doing recording studios. I also went to Hobby Lobby and bought their off-white burlap at $2.99/yd. I'll get some 1 x 4 boards for frames, so we'll be able to make six 2' x 4' absorbing panels, or 4 or 5 plus the corner units you want to design for Greg.
Colin: I'll answer your questions just as soon as you post our last meet's pictures on a thread - don't forget to add some snappy commentary :D
SATURDAY: For the D-I-Y room treatment session at my house from about 1:00 - 5:00 or so, here you go: First, we plan to meet for lunch at 11:30 at the Iguana Grill at 2900 N FM 620. It's on the right about half a mile past the Hudson Bend Rd. traffic light intersection. I'll have maps to my house there.
Greg: For the projector comparison session, will you be at lunch and/or my house with maps to your house?

Greg Risley

Second Unit
I will be at the lunch handing out maps. If anyone thinks they might miss that, email me and I'll send you the address and you can go to Yahoo maps for direction.

For the proejctor part all we have lined up is my NEC LT-150 dlp, Nils is bringing his Studio Experience Cinema 12SF dlp, which is a great machine from what I have read, and Collin mentioned bringing his Sony Sony VPL-VW10HT lcd projector which I very much like.

As far as other goodies to play with the list is this: Frederick has offered to bring his Sony 9000ES progressive scan/SACD player so we can compare this to my Sony 700 progressive player. I am curious how SACD sounds on my system since it does not offer analog pass through, it converts every thing to digital for volume control.

Nils is bringing the PLAS-TEX screens so you guys think about building your own can get a good look at one alternative.

I am toying with the idea of renting an X-box and some games this weekend so that might be cool.

For quick comparisons of projectors I thought we could use a couple of copies of the smae dvd that way we could have 2 projectors running the same movie at the sametime but just block the picture instead of swapping cables around.

Disc I have that are fun to use to show off projectors are:

Gladiator (So Timmy, you like gladiator movies?)

Pleasentville

Jurasic Park, all 3.

Austin Powers

If you can think of some others that you guys have email me and I'll see if I have a copy also.

If we really want to play I have a pc with a dvd drive and Power Dvd software, that I can roll in and compare to the progressive players.

Well I think that just about covers it. If anyone has questions please post or email me.

Greg

PS: Did I mention I shot my first 86 today at the golf course, no cheaten' either. Honest. My partner is a stickler for the rules.

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Colin

Regarding the pics from the last meet...I'm guessing that a lack of time, not desire, is what's preventing you from posting the pics online. Perhaps you could burn them to a CD and bring them with you this Saturday? Hank, Mark, or myself would be happy to put together a quick webpage for them.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Jonathan -

You're right, a lack of time is keeping me from throwing together a Web site with the HT meet pictures. I was going to try to put something together this evening...but if I don't have time or don't finish, I'll bring a few CD-Rs with the pictures to the meet on Saturday...

Chad Anson

Second Unit
Wow, I step away for a week or two and nearly miss all of the excitement. I live very close to the Iguana Grill but may not be able to make it for lunch. Hank and Greg, can you please email me directions ([email protected])?

What golf course, Greg? Any other HTF golfers? A golf outing would be fun!

Re: movies for the shootout, do you have Dark City? As the name suggests, it's a good one for seeing how well a projector handles the darker end of the spectrum. Let me know and I can bring it.

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Dark City is one of my all time favorite films, an existential masterpiece. The Man Who Wasn't There is also good for a black level test, and a great movie too.

Jonathan's existential trio:

Dark City

Groundhog Day (that's right, I said Groundhog Day, you figure it out)

The Razor's Edge

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Jonathan -
"Groundhog Day" was a movie that really pleasantly surprised me. I was expecting it to be a by-the-numbers light romantic comedy, but it dared to be more thought-provoking than that...
Though it was frustrating seeing him live the same day over and over again, it was quite interesting to think about how every little decision and action made such a difference in the way events unfolded throughout the day.
Just attempting to consider how that has unfolded over the 11,000+ days of my life so far is enough to create severe existential angst... :)

Greg Risley

Second Unit
I love Groundhog Day, I have know idea why I haven't got it yet. I do have Dark City, and speaking of Alex Proyas, I also have the newer version of The Crow which looks pretty good to.

Oh well I better get to bed so I can clean the theater out tomorow.

Greg

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Chad & Greg,

Count me in on Golf. I might be able to arrange a HT tournament at River Place Country Club.

Have you guys tried out Star Ranch yet? They have the latest LCD GPS system built-in to their carts.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Mornin'! A bit of news: I spoke with Danny Richie late last night after I got in from playing in the Wurst Band down at Scholz Garten. He will not be coming today, as he has been very busy so the internal wire braid he was prefabing isn't done, plus some people who wanted to come to hear the line source towers reminded him that since this is Mother's day weekend, they can't come to Austin.

The plan is for him to come next week and mini-me will have a mini-meet at my house. You are all invited to come over to listen to these monsters. Plus, to make it more widely interesting, I propose we do the AC power cable comparison then, and I also propose that we include power line conditioners and filters. Also any favorite "tweaks" of yours would be welcome diversion. How does that sound?

Nils: Would you like to build a frame for one of your Plas-Tex screens? If so, call me and we'll discuss - I could get the wood this evening and cut it to length.

Golf: I heard a commercial for Star Ranch yesterday in which they mentioned that it's the ONLY top-rated daily fee course - very impressive indeed. I took up golf about 8 years ago. A bud and I would go to River Place on Friday morning and have the place virtually to ourselves - there was only one house in the development for a few years. That was before the $1 million re-do to make the course easier (it's still very difficult). Now,I play only about 4 times a year so you don't want to hear my average score. But, as the TCU character in Tin Cup said: "I'm in!"

Colin: "Just attempting to consider how that has unfolded over the 11,000+ days of my life so far is enough to create severe existential angst"

TEQUILA IS GOOD FOR YOUR ANGST CONDITION.

Let the games begin!

Greg Risley

Second Unit
Yup I have played Star Ranch about 2 months ago, very nice. I do enjoy the GPS systems. I played at Cinco Ranch in Houston last year and the GPS makes it alot easier to play new courses. I shot the 86 at Plum Creek. I usually play there or Quail Creek, and Onion Creek.

Nils

I'd say just bring the smaller screen.

Hank

Since Dannys not coming we can jump on the diy stuff and if we finish early we can come on down to my house. Its no problem for me to kick things off a little earlier

Greg

Chad Anson

Second Unit
I played Star Ranch about 3 weeks after it opened last summer. It was in pretty good shape considering it was brand spanking new. We can also play our HTF rounds at either of the two Clubs of Lakeway courses.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks